Hey I have an iPhone 3G (rogers), jailbroken on 2.2 firmware, still have not updated to 2.2.1.
    So two days ago, after installing iRealSMS, my iphone started running really hot and when i woke up
    the next day the phone was dead after a FULL charge. And then I deleted irealsms and its still running
    really hot and today when i went out my phone was 100% and now its 53%....after about 3 hours and one call
    Apple store wants me to unjailbreak my phone to help me out, so I was wondering if anyone knew what
    I could to do , or if there is a program to see whats running like task manager?
    EDIT:It doesn't run hot all the time, ive noticed now it gets hotter as it charges and I got free memory and i have about 30 MB free.
    2009-03-02 09:12 AM
    theres two thing worth looking into one bein a new App added to cydia called mem tool
    This basically is a task manger. You can see whats using cpu and ram... Remove or delete
    As needed.
    Second is too put phone in safe mode first id disable my
    Edge this can sumetimes draw vast amounts of power when constantly tryin to sync mail
    App.
    Also try: Let battery run out then leave it for couple hours to settle then charge completely
    Try this a few times at least ten if battery is still losing charge i can supply and fit new batt
    For around 35.
    2009-03-02 02:09 PM
    turn off 3g, and EDGE

make fetch data : manually

turn off location services

and get mem tool and disbale whatever u dont want runnig

in addition, never charge ur phone unless the battery is fully drained!

THAT WROKS FINE FOR ME AND MY IPHONE NOW STAYS ON FOR 3 DAYS WITH FULL USAGE. I PLAY GAMES ON IT CALL PPL, AND TRY OUT ALL SORTS OF NEW GAMES AND PROGRAMS SO I AM DRAINING IT AND IT STAYS FOR 3 DAYS WITH WAT I EXPLAINED ABOVE!

i hope i helped
    2009-03-02 05:47 PM
    Hey so how do I stick it in safe mode? Ill try the stuff you guys mentioned also.
    How do you turn off edge? I thought that was 3G.

Miro89 when say you turn off 3g and edge and make fetch manually and turn off location services,
    how long do I keep them off? Like should I only turn on 3g when i make a call or something?
    Last edited by makaveli1212; 2009-03-02 at 11:31 PM.
    2009-03-02 11:19 PM
    EDGE is different from 3G. and keep them off always and when u need to use them just turn them on and use then back off

and u dont need 3g to make a call??!!!!
    2009-03-03 07:24 PM
    Basically 3G and Edge will only eat a huge amount of battery is if you are in a weak signal area. If you have a consistently good signal you dont need to worry about that.

Turn push to "off" and then check off "manually" under fetch new data- don't forget to scroll down to "Advanced" and make sure each mail account you have is also set to "manual".

I have noticed that even if I have the mail fetch settings all on manual, often if I check in SB Settings, it will still show Mail running. So a good practice is after using Mail, either use SB Settings or Memtest or SysInfo Plus to stop the Mail process.

The same thing happens for Safari as well. If you make sure both of those are not running in the background, you will have much better battery life.

Alternatively to shutting off the processes as stated above, you can reboot your phone or respring it.
    2009-03-03 07:51 PM
    What would happen if I kill springboard?
    Also, I've tried all the recommened strategies and yet I still have a dying battery...could it jsut be a defect, I shut off edge, 3g and wifi for a while and it just slowed down abit.

EDIT: I just saw all over that you can buy a new battery and it doesnt void the warranty changing the battery.
    Do you guys think it would be safe if i swapped the battery? Like I've done **** liek to all my other phones and
    opened up many of them to edit stuff haha.
    If i did this , would anything get erased? Or would it be smarter to go to apple and get a new one?
    Only is reason I dont want to is because I will lose everything like texts, notes, cydia apps etc...
    Last edited by makaveli1212; 2009-03-04 at 06:36 AM.
    2009-03-04 06:22 AM
    If you sync the phone with iTunes before you get a new one, you can back up your texts/notes. There is an app in Cydia to back up the apps you have I believe.
    2009-03-04 07:58 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD