As you may know from my previous thread on here, I just switched from a Windows Mobile phone to an iPhone and I really miss a certain feature. Let's say I want to call Dennis, on my WM phone I could start dialing 3366 (D-E-N-N) and it would pull up any numbers that started with 3366 as well as all the names that corresponded to those keys.
    My new iPhone doesn't seem to do this, either that or I can't find the setting for it. I have a great contacts page but there's a couple hundred names in there and just doing dial by name is so much easier. Any help folks?
    2009-03-06 01:30 AM
    quickgold will do that if you just start typing the name or the # it will suggest it for you then just hit it to dial
    2009-03-06 02:45 AM
    quickgold will do that if you just start typing the name or the # it will suggest it for you then just hit it to dial
    Hmm, can't seem to find that one in the app store.
    2009-03-06 03:44 AM
    its not in the appstore. its a jailbreak app from cydia
    The beatings will continue until morale improves.
    2009-03-06 03:48 AM
    Okay, jailbroke the phone tonight and now I have this Cydia and Installer icons but I'll be damned if I can figure out what they do. I found Quickgold, I installed it, nothing has changed. I can't find anything in Cydia or in the settings icon that will turn on the dial by name feature. Honestly I think I need to sit down with some iPhone guru who can explain why I jailbroke my phone and what all this other developer stuff is good for. Also, how do I know what to search for when all the progs have funky names? I saw one that gives you some sort of a task manager, don't know that that's called. There's one that allows you to unlock your phone by tapping rather than sliding, don't know what that's called either. Bear with me though, I'll come around soon enough, I'm not quite as dumb as I look.
    2009-03-06 04:28 AM
    ok now that you have quickgold do this

go to your home screen.

press your home button twice (the one on the bottom)

a keyboard and search bar will pop up

start typing in your friends name. eventually it will predict it and then you just select the name
    2009-03-06 04:32 AM
    hit the home button while on the home screen

EDIT: you beat me to it

jump on aim and ill help you out
    2009-03-06 04:33 AM
    Ahh, I see now. That isn't quite what I wanted though. When I'm driving, holding the phone in my hand, it's 10X easier to hit the number buttons on the phone pad than it is to type with the touch screen. Thanks for the offer of help, but no can do tonight. I'll add you do my AIM though and ping you some time.
    2009-03-06 04:37 AM
    just get a speed dial app

ill find the one i use and post a link in a sec
    2009-03-06 04:39 AM
    You could try Fonix iSpeak found in the app store.
    Its a hands free voice driven phone dialing application. $2.99
    2009-03-06 04:56 AM
    As to the tap to unlock thing, I found that in Winterboard. I did a search for task manager but only got an onscreen icon, I'm looking for the one that you access by sliding your finger across the top of the screen. Thanks for the speed dialer app link, It will surely help.

BTW, I would do a whole lot more searching on this forum but it runs very slow for me. Is this maybe because it was optimized on a mac and I'm on a PC? This is the only forum where I encounter this.
    2009-03-06 04:58 AM
    or try "Say who LITE". Its free
    2009-03-06 04:59 AM
    the one across the screen is sbsettins and then you have to install the processes toggle and you can end processes that way. not very effecient though. a better one is called MemTool. just open it and hit clean....thats all you need to know. its in cydia
    2009-03-06 05:01 AM
    Yeah, I found memtool, but it seems a bit over the top. I'll give it some time though. Okay, I need to find the thread that talks about all the must have apps once you've jailbroken.
    2009-03-06 05:08 AM
    There's a bunch, http://www.modmyi.com/forums/native-...pod-touch.html
    Search for the others
    2009-03-06 05:29 AM
    Thanks for all the replies so far but it sounds like the app I'm looking for doesn't exist. Oh well, I think this is a great feature that the iPhone could have had but for some reason Apple didn't include it. When I'm driving in my Jeep I can do voice dial through the integrated bluetooth, but when I'm just out and about and dialing a number it would be so nice for the phone to do what I'm talking about from the main phone keypad...oh well.
    2009-03-06 08:03 PM
    Found a new missing feature today, or maybe one I can't seem to figure out how to locate. Call timers. Every other phone I've owned for over a decade now would allow me to see the length of time per call in my call history yet I can't seem to find this in the iPhone. I see my list of Recents, I click on their name and it wants to call them. I click on the blue arrow and that just takes me to the contact info. How do I segregate between outbound and inbound calls and how can I tell how long I was on them?!?
    2009-03-08 09:33 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD