I am currently running software version 2.2 on my 16 gig 3g. I'm using winterboard with the glass orbs theme, status notifier, sbsettings, categories and iRealSMS. Those are my main memory drainers I guess. I get about 30mb on average of available memory and experience app crashing every once in a while.

Just wondering if anyone thats running 2.2.1 is seeing better memory availability or less crashing/slow downs.

Gives thanks...Do you?
    2009-03-09 06:00 AM
    I don't believe it's been reported to be any better, but it is supposed to help out with Safari crashes. If you're not/don't have to be unlocked you could always try it...
    Respect your elders.
    2009-03-09 06:40 AM
    I havent noticed a difference between the two, really.
    2009-03-09 07:01 AM
    Winterboard tends to cause more problems than its solves for me. My iPhone isn't themed and is fast and stable.

All those fancy graphics do use memory.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.
    2009-03-09 09:47 AM
    I would try restoring if you want to give it a shot but STAY ON 2.2! If you want to sell it if you get a new one, the only baseband that is unlocked is 2.2 so until a new baseband is unlocked, dont bother upgrading...
    2009-03-09 06:21 PM
    My 3g came with the 2.30 baseband. I downgraded to 2.2 but I'm just trying to get opinions on which software runs more efficiently. I use At&t so unlocking is not a concern of mine. although i'm confident that if I did want to sell in the future someone will come up with an unlock for the 2.30 modem firmware.

Gives thanks...Do you?
    2009-03-09 06:58 PM
    Firmware 2.2.1 definitely cut out the Safari crashes almost completely for me.
    2009-03-09 07:28 PM
    Firmware 2.2.1 definitely cut out the Safari crashes almost completely for me.
    Interesting. I got random crashes in Safari so I might give this a try. I've got a custom restore for 2.2.1 but does anyone know how to get one that doesn't include installer?

Gives thanks...Do you?
    2009-03-09 10:16 PM
    You have a MAC don't you? I thought if you had a MAC you could cook your own FW?
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.
    2009-03-09 10:42 PM
    You have a MAC don't you? I thought if you had a MAC you could cook your own FW?
    Yeah, I figured it out. I wasn't looking in the expert mode on Pwnage.

Gives thanks...Do you?
    2009-03-09 10:46 PM
    Not having a MAC (OK, I lie, I do have a MAC, I've just never used it) I couldn't give you any pointers, I've never seen pwnage - maybe I should have a look one day.

Glad you got it sorted
    2009-03-09 11:25 PM
    ^^ You have a mac that you've never used? I have 3 mac's and I use them all the damn time.

Gives thanks...Do you?
    2009-03-10 02:50 AM
    ^I think he may mean he's just never used Pwnage on his Mac, not the actual computer.
    Respect your elders.
    2009-03-10 06:42 AM
    From what I have read 2.2 and 2.2.1 are very similar.
    Neither one is better for giving more memory, that will depend on what you install.
    As for the occasional crashes, it's best to make use of SBsettings Process toggle to kill apps like Safari, Mail, etc.. before moving on to the next app but even then there will be an occasional crash.

Everyone experiences a random crash here and there so nothing to worry about.

However there are some new apps from the Appstore that only run on 2.2.1 now.

I've noticed that some of the new games coming out now are only compatible with the latest firmware.
    2009-03-10 08:59 AM
    ^I think he may mean he's just never used Pwnage on his Mac, not the actual computer.
    No - I mean the computer.
    I bought one because I thought I should see what the fuss was about (it was very cheap - a basic G4 and someone gave me a lovely screen for it). I turned it on - tried to install Leopard and found the spec was just below the minimum needed so I couldn't.

I then couldn't think of anything I wanted to do with it that I couldn't already do on my PCs and really didn't know what to do with it.

So I turned it off.
    2009-03-10 09:24 AM
    Ah, I see. Unfortunate, mate.
    Respect your elders.
    2009-03-10 03:59 PM
    No - I mean the computer.
    I bought one because I thought I should see what the fuss was about (it was very cheap - a basic G4 and someone gave me a lovely screen for it). I turned it on - tried to install Leopard and found the spec was just below the minimum needed so I couldn't.

I then couldn't think of anything I wanted to do with it that I couldn't already do on my PCs and really didn't know what to do with it.

So I turned it off.
    LeopardAssist 2.3.2 software download - Mac OS X - VersionTracker

Check that software out. It's free and will let you bypass the minimum system requirements for Leopard. I'm running it on a 800MHZ G4 with no issues. You shouldn't let a good Mac go to waste.

Gives thanks...Do you?
    2009-03-10 08:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD