After jailbreaking my iPhone 3G (2.2.1), touching the icons very often leads to the OS entering "Rearrange Icons" mode, and they go all jiggly. I don't know if it's common to all jailbroken iPhones, or to those with the apps I installed from Cydia, or if I am just, um, lucky!

I've searched a lot and found the main possibility is replacing General.plist with one that adds a Touch slider to Settings. But it may be overkill, and the latest pre-edited General.plist is for OS 1.1.4, so although I have heard it works on 2.1, not sure it does on 2.2.1.

Anyone else seeing this behavior? Any fixes? TIA, and sorry for the long thread start.

Here are the apps etc. I've installed from Cydia, so it's clear: AppBackup, AptBackup, Autocorrection SBSettings, Backgrounder, Categories, Cycorder, Fast Notes, hClipboard, iPhone Modem by Addition, KeepAwake, Location Services Toggle, Mac Battery, myWeek, Processes, Qik, quake4iphone, QuickGold, QuickUnlock, SBSettings, Searcher, Snapture, SwirlyMMSm SwirlyMMSLangPack, SysInfoPlus, UstreamBroadcaster, Volume Slider Widget, WinterBoard, xGPS, xGPS Util, 5-Row QWERTY Keyboard (phew)
    2009-03-14 11:52 PM
    very nice info, if only everyone would do this

sorry it happens to evryone, it just happens because when you try to launch an app it will get confused sometimes and hang up then when you let go it thinks you are still touching it so it will go into rearange

also it will ahppen if you just quit an app and try to switch pages

just try to move slower and dont get ahead of yourself
    2009-03-15 12:40 AM
    Ah you are referring to the "wiggles"!

I myself posted something about that about a month ago.

As far as I can tell, what is happening is that the iPhone is running out of memory and can't really run alot of things at once.

So things like Backgrounder, Categories, clipboard, Volume slider widget and winterboard are taking up memory and making response time a bit off.

So what happens is, is that you push the button and things start to wiggle shortly after you close out of an app.

So say you are running an app and you get an email, and then you close out of the app to check your mail and you push the email button and things start wiggling.

That, I believe is due to the fact that the iphone only has so much memory going around and when you touch the screen it's not registering it as a tap but instead as a tap and hold.

Like typing on a keyboard too fast (if you can even do that anymore...)

I myself was running 5 icon dock, and thought that it was the culprit, but it wasn't. In fact it's not just one culprit, its a combination of culprits.

In my case it is winterboard, backgrounder, vWallpaper, and 5 icon dock, things that are always running. If I take away vWallpaper usually things work better.

Best thing I have found is just wait a 10th of second longer then you would to go onto the next thing, that and I took away 5 icon dock cause I didn't need it anymore.
    Herp a derp a derp a doooo!
    2009-03-15 12:50 AM
    I have exactly the same problem, although it normally happens when I try load up the Mail app ... 6 times out of 10 it thinks that I want to re-arrange the icons, and I get the wiggles!

Annoying to say the least!
    2009-05-12 11:06 AM
    basically what happens is you run out of memory with all the things running the the backround so your iPhone is trying to catch up and is running slower then what it should.

Now one thing I have noticed, and I haven't had the wiggles in a long time, is that if you try to keep everything in one winterboard theme edit, then it appears to greatly reduce the memory footprint that is being lost.

So for example, in winterboard you have the option for a theme, and then you have the option for your own background, and then you have the option to hide your dock and so forth, I am certain you get the idea.

Alot of themes are self contained so to speak... So for example, i am using the theme beautiful. It's a nice clean theme where I don't have to think about the icons because, well all the icons are the same.

However it has .xml file that will tell it to do the same things as winterboard such as replace your wallpaper, change your dock, etc...

I have noticed that by replacing the wallpaper.xml with your own wallpaper.xml greatly reduces the memory leak.

or...

if you change your wallpaper frequently then all you should do is delete the wallpaper.xml in the theme that way you don't have two wallpapers running at the same time.

It took me a while before I figured out that I could modify themes to my own liking.

Basically, what you want to make sure is that you don't have unnecessary things running all at the same time.

So don't have "invisible dock" in winterboard running, while your theme is set up to either not have a dock in the first place or has it's own themed dock.

More or less nowadays, after i've spent nearly the past year tweaking and modding and such, I pretty much stick to "beautiful" minus all the load screens and wallpaper (cause I have a beautiful wife to look at), and my own custom wallpaper. I use backgrounder, but rarely anymore, and I use lockscreen calender, as well as status notifier.

Anymore, I keep it simple cause the wiggles annoyed the hell out of me.

One thing about beautiful that I like, is that it's a complete theme, so I don't have to bog down winterboard with multiple themes that affect multiple aspects.

I don't need a theme for the keyboard, or the battery or or or...

It's all inclusive which makes a big difference...

I hope this made sense, in proofreading, it sounds horiibly disjointed but I just woke up and am carrying on conversations with my wife and my father as I am writing this.

If someone could translate this, then please do :-P
    Herp a derp a derp a doooo!
    2009-05-12 06:35 PM
    Winterboard is the #1 culprit for me, even if you are not using a theme. I got rid of it (I was using that and SBSettings) and my iPhone is so much faster now. Hopefully that works for you too.
    I am Olim. We are Olim. And we just did this- together!
    2009-05-13 03:05 AM
    Winterboard is the #1 culprit for me, even if you are not using a theme. I got rid of it (I was using that and SBSettings) and my iPhone is so much faster now. Hopefully that works for you too.
    I am Olim. We are Olim. And we just did this- together!
    2009-05-13 03:06 AM
    i just uninstalled backgrounder, winterboard and categories. i hope i dont feel like a lame-o without them making my iphone so cool
    2009-05-13 08:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD