Hi,

I just bought a refurb 16gb 3G to replace my original 1G model, and was wondering what the upgrade process is like?

I would like to pass the 1G to my wife and KEEP my current number when I move to the 3G.

So, I guess my questions are:

1 - How does the 3G know that I am migrating to it?
    2 - How does transfer of data go -simple itunes restore?
    3 - How do I give the 1G my wifes current non-iphone number?
    2009-03-20 07:44 AM
    1. You take your sim card out of your 1st gen and stick it into the 2nd gen. You might as well call AT&T and tell them to change your data rate plan or wait until they scan and text you to change it. If you are with AT&T that is.

3. Stick your wife's sim into the iPhone and it will work on her number.
    2009-03-20 07:50 AM
    thanks for the quick reply. I am on AT&T. My wife does not currently have an iPhone, Her normal SIM will work in an iphone?
    2009-03-20 07:52 AM
    There is no such thing as a '1g' it was the '2g' (the g is not generation it's the cellular band, 1g is like a carphone).

To solve all your problems go to an att store, this is a guesstmulation of what will happen based on my dealings with att:

You migrate your number to 3g in store, they take your old sim chip and give you a 3G one.

If your wife has att she just needs to put her sim in the old iphone. (if she has someone else it's a bit more complicated)

You go home and sync your shiny new iphone from that backup you made.
    NOTE will delete your jailbreak/yellowsnow

QUESTION: so how much was the refurb, was it from att? (i got my iphone stolen so im kinda wondering?)
    2009-03-20 07:54 AM
    it was 199 for the 16gb and 99 for the 8gb at the online att store.
    2009-03-20 07:56 AM
    1. You take your sim card out of your 1st gen and stick it into the 2nd gen. You might as well call AT&T and tell them to change your data rate plan or wait until they scan and text you to change it. If you are with AT&T that is.

3. Stick your wife's sim into the iPhone and it will work on her number.
    When i upgraded i had to get a new sim? it was so i could get 3g
    2009-03-20 07:56 AM
    how does syncing work then for my wife? we have two separate computers, so she would use her own, I am just confused at how it would sync when she had nothing to sync it with before
    2009-03-20 07:57 AM
    When i upgraded i had to get a new sim? it was so i could get 3g
    I already had a 3G sim from my previous phone. It was plug and play for me.
    2009-03-20 08:30 AM
    when you sync there will be a mode to restore the phone from backup.
    When she syncs (on a new PC)there will be an optiont to clear everything and set up as a new iphone.
    2009-03-20 08:38 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD