I don't know what to do. My contract is up with T-Mobile on 1st April and I currently have an Omnia running Windows Mobile. I really want to make the switch to 02 for the Iphone and I would only be paying an extra 4 quid a month on tariff (plus the 50 for the handset) to get the 16GB model. The only thing I'm a bit scared of is a new model coming out in June with killer features that makes the 3G obsolete. With the contract being for 2 years even if a new Iphone doesn't come out next month but next year I will still have the same problem.

Does anyone know what features the new Iphone is likely to have. A new camera doesn't concern me but if they radically increased the memory that would make me want to wait. Do you think the 3G will still be supported in 2 years time with the Appstore still supporting it or would it wiser to wait until June.

Cheers,
    meddle
    2009-03-31 11:56 AM
    I highly doubt they will drop support for the 3g any time soon.

And in terms of upgrading, welcome to the question of buying any technology (computers, phones, etc...) ever. Regardless of when you buy I am almost certain something new and nicer will be on the horizon before your contract expires, no matter what.

Sorry I am not too much help just something to kind of think about.
    make it a great day!
    2009-03-31 04:48 PM
    I would ask myself the same thing about Edge here in the US and since MOST phones are not 3G compatible I'd say it's here to stay for a LONG time. I would venture to guess that a majority of the phones sold in the UK are not 3G compatible either customer would have to pay a higher service fee to get 3G which makes it a similar situation to the US. The final question to ask... is if 3G were to be come obsolete.. what is replacing it and how far along is this technology with regard to widespread coverage? The answer to this question will answer your original question.
    2009-03-31 04:54 PM
    Well as far as Data speeds are concerned that is of less importance than a major memory upgrade. I have Wi-Fi at home and work which is where I will do most of my browsing etc...

The main thing that it selling me on the Iphone is the Appstore. I know it's only been around for less than a year which shows how quickly things can come and go. If I was confident the 3G will still be the main platform for the Appstore over the next 2 years I will happy to take out a contract.

Do you think it's foolish to take out a 24 month contract (from 3/4/09 02 in the UK have 100 off the standard 16GB price) on the 3G in light of one may come out in the summer or next summer if the Apps is my number one priority.
    2009-03-31 07:25 PM
    Im in a similar boat. My T-Mobile contract is over, im using an unlocked 1st gen.... but I plan to wait until the next one comes out before switching to AT&T.

Try to find yourself a cheaper 1st gen that you can unlock and stay with T-Mobile out of contract until the next one comes out... It will hold you over.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish
    2009-03-31 07:46 PM
    3G is accepted as a standard in the UK and Europe - one of the main reasons the 2G iPhone did not take off so well. it is a much different situation when compared with America. Think about when the 3G was released - many Americans could not understand the importance of such a revision and a majority still have the 2G. It is very different in the UK and Europe.

I had the Omnia as a works phone temporarily - and it really is awful!

The support for the 3G won't stop, however, newer models will bring advanced technology that, in my eyes, would be worth waiting a matter of 2/3 months for. I am expecting the next hardware revision to be based around video recording/increased camera MP AND vastly improved battery life (which could come in many different ways). BUT, Noone will be able to tell you if it's worth it - noone knows whats coming yet, all you will get is peoples guesses.

BUT, if your in a rush to get one, just buy the 3G and then sell it when the new one is released. The iPhone, actually, any Apple product, holds its value extremely well. You will be able to sell it at a slight loss and pay a tad extra for the newer model, but it would beat using that Omnia for a couple more months. And then if the new model in June is not enough of a hardware revision for you to warrant upgrading just stick with your 3G.
    The Original Autobot of MMi
    Jesus couldn't turn into a fire engine

LOL -> "Winterboard does not interfere at all with my performance."

Suck it up, Sucker
    2009-03-31 08:06 PM
    The 3G will drop in price in May - I can't see anything I that would make me upgrade my 3G but If I didn't have one I might wait to see what the new version has to offer.
    Why not get an 18 month contract? I thought only Americans fell for 24 Month contracts!
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.
    2009-03-31 10:55 PM
    Just wait a few months and get the new one
    2009-03-31 11:14 PM
    I'm pretty sure Apple will allow 3G owners to upgrade, obviously with no discount on the handset, but they should let all 3G users extend their contract by 18 months or whatever
    To live, you have to lie
    2009-03-31 11:17 PM
    UHG. This thread is an example of people that don't look at the big picture. ATT is 3G, not 4G. 4G is not actually even past it's infant test stages so it sure as hell isn't ready to go into the mix. ATT will likely boost 3G speeds on their network to accommodate the new iphone features, but that's all you get. Therefore the 3g phone is not going to be obsolete in any way.
    2009-04-01 02:28 AM
    Yeah, until they actually have 3g coverage close to edge coverage...they wont move on.
    2009-04-01 02:32 AM
    When I mentioned 3G as obsolete, I wasn't refering to the data speed of the handset only the model name. I'm in the UK and am luckly enough to live in a decent 3G area.

I was purley coming from the point of view of internal hardware features that would make everyone jump ship to get the new phone. Possibly something in the hardware that the Appstore can take advanage off to produce faster better looking games as an example. If people thought this was likely I'd wait until July when hopefully the phone gets released. The appstore is the number one thing that draws me to the Iphone so I want to make sure the phone I get will still be able to run the top programs in 18-24 months. If the hardware was basically only a minor update I may wait and see if a 32GB model comes out. 16GB is a bit tight for me and if they brought a 32GB or bigger I'd want it.
    2009-04-01 02:51 AM
    Oh, haha, oops.

The 3g wont even be close to obsolete for awhile. For one, nobody even knows what the new phone will bring if much of anything.

And look at all the first-gen iphones still being used out there. And the 3g is leaps better than any other phone on the market.

But, nobody's gonna know till it comes out. Or Apple actually tells us.
    2009-04-01 02:54 AM
    I read your post perfectly well. I specifically said

Therefore the 3g phone is not going to be obsolete in any way.
    You cannot make a phone obsolete that is still current on the network. As long as ATT is on the 3G network, the 3G phone will not be obsolete.
    2009-04-01 03:01 AM
    I would wait it out. Even if the technology behind the data network doesn't improve(and it's likely not to improve), that doesn't mean that apple cannot improve it's phone in other ways. I'm thinking a couple months down the line, a new phone pops up, and a couple months after that (a year maybe), things in the app store start coming out that are no longer fully compatible with the 3G.
    2009-04-01 03:04 AM
    One thing I think they will almost certainly do is increase capacity - so if 32Gb is important to you I would wait. I get by on 8Gb (wish I hadn't been so tight and bought the 16Gb)
    It is all speculation as to the new hardware but Apple do have a track record of increasing capacity and I would be very surprised if they don't release a 32Gb model.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.
    2009-04-01 09:53 AM
    All Apple products hold there value extremely well.

Buy the 3G, then sell it when the new one is announced/released. You wont lose much overall.
    The Original Autobot of MMi
    Jesus couldn't turn into a fire engine

LOL -> "Winterboard does not interfere at all with my performance."

Suck it up, Sucker
    2009-04-02 12:06 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD