User Tag List

Hi just wondering how to do this. I downloaded some apps with the *.rar file on my pc, how do i get these to my iphone? Thanks.
    2008-03-08 08:04 PM
    Hi just wondering how to do this. I downloaded some apps with the *.rar file on my pc, how do i get these to my iphone? Thanks.
    Unzip the apps to your computer.
    Download WinSCP, extract and install it.
    Run WinSCP(check your iPhones IP adress)
    copy the apps into the iPhones applications folder.
    Reboot your phone.

Simple as that.

Hope that helps you.
    If I could help you with my answer give me a
    2008-03-08 08:55 PM
    I got WinSCP but you say find my iphone's IP Address? Do i have to connect my iphone through a Wifi spot to do this?
    2008-03-09 05:38 AM
    Yes you have to use Wifi.
    2008-03-09 05:53 AM
    I got WinSCP but you say find my iphone's IP Address? Do i have to connect my iphone through a Wifi spot to do this?
    Yes.

Best way is to buy a router and have "your own hot spot at home".

I do it the same way.

Any questions?

Just ask.
    If I could help you with my answer give me a
    2008-03-09 09:38 AM
    Ok wait a second, what if my PC doesn't have WiFi? What if I want to transfer via USB to my iPhone?
    2009-02-27 06:40 PM
    Ok wait a second, what if my PC doesn't have WiFi? What if I want to transfer via USB to my iPhone?
    than use diskaid so you can access through usb
    2009-02-27 07:14 PM
    iphonebrowser is the easiest. No logins, no setup, just plug in (usb) and go. Not sure why everyone doesn't use this tool.
    2009-02-27 08:54 PM
    what kind of app are we talking about here?
    2009-02-27 09:08 PM
    Ok someone is going to have to walk me through this step-by-step because I DL'd both DiskAid and iPhoneBrowser and I still can't get an app that I DL'd from this website to show-up on my iPhone!

Example: I DL'd MIM.rar.app from this website, I want to be able to use this on my iPhone. 1) I couldn't make the transfer to my iPhone on iPhoneBrowser. 2) I got it on my iPhone, right where I want it: Root/Apps, however it doesn't showup on my iPhone, and it's fill extension is .rar.app not just .app like everything else.

I also want to load the Nintendo game NESapp-0.53.tar.tar and be able to use it.

The annoying thing is how user-friendly the iPhone is but how very user un-friendly this website is. I don't understand why the damn apps aren't available on an installer app! Or why there's apps available but no instructions/programs to load them without trial/error!

Thank you for anybody who can help!
    2009-02-28 11:09 PM
    Are you serious?
    2009-03-01 06:43 AM
    Yes I'm serious!

Problem #1 On this site there's apps, they don't load to your phone, they load to your computer.

Problem #2 When you DL an app, a loading software doesn't come with it.

Problem #3 This website that provides all of these apps doesn't have a loading software!

Problem #4 The app that you download isn't .app

Problem #5 There isn't a one-click loading software that'll just simply load your app onto your Spring Board. And isn't that what an iPhone app loading software is supposed to do?? Load an app? Why do they have all the do-it-yourself crap? Cydia, Apps, or Installer don't make you specify anything, you just click Install!!
    2009-03-01 02:17 PM
    Okay, let try it this way...

First off, is your phone Jailbroken? The reason I ask is because you can't just download an app and install is like you would a computer.

The other reason I ask if your phone is Jailbroken or not, is because if it was jailbroken, you should automatically have two new apps show up on your homescreen. One being Cydia, which is the most commonly used Jailbroken app installer, and the other being Installer, which is not nearly used as much as Cydia, but it's still there.

Both MiM, and a very nice NES emulator can be found on Cydia from the MMi Repo, as well as a gajillion other Repos.

The only real benefit to being able to SSH or hard connect to the file system of your iPhone would be to do things like load Roms into the Roms folder, more easily manage Winterboard icons (although this can be done via Mobile Finder as well) and load up your own sound effects.

Other then that, even updating the Mobile Substrate that allows you to do that thing that is greatly frowned upon on this site, can now be done from Cydia.

I can also understand the trials and tribulations of getting help sometimes, most everyone here is pretty cool about helping, however in any type of trouble shooting there come the language and terminology barrier which must be overcome.

For example:

"Example: I DL'd MIM.rar.app from this website, I want to be able to use this on my iPhone. 1) I couldn't make the transfer to my iPhone on iPhoneBrowser. 2) I got it on my iPhone, right where I want it: Root/Apps, however it doesn't showup on my iPhone, and it's fill extension is .rar.app not just .app like everything else."

1. If I am to understand you correctly, you want to use MiM, a cool little apps that changes the Carrier Logo as well as Fake Time, A very fun thing to do and a great way to start.

However you state that in 1 you couldn't get the app onto your phone, but in 2 you got it on your phone right where you want it, but it doesn't show up on your phone.

So is it on your phone? Or is it not on your phone? If it is on your phone, then the problem lies in you needing to delete the *.rar part of the *.rar.app.

(then again I have never done it that way, and have always relied on Cydia for installing apps, as I do not fully understand the Unix filing structure).

"I also want to load the Nintendo game NESapp-0.53.tar.tar and be able to use it."

Well, .tar means that it is compressed, like .zip, or .rar. So you have to uncompress it somehow to get the data that you want, and in that case, you want to use winrar.

However this is getting more confusing then what it needs to be, and the simple answer is to just use Cydia.

"I don't understand why the damn apps aren't available on an installer app! Or why there's apps available but no instructions/programs to load them without trial/error!"

Well, the reason that there aren't any apps available on Installer is because like Cydia, you need to add sources to your repository list.

(Now I will mention that Saurik did a fine job of including a good deal of sources in Cydia, much more then Installer has on first use)

In Linux, to make life easier for n00bs (like me!), instead of learning a whole new language to install a program, there are dedicated programs that act as "add/remove programs" found in windows, however instead of downloading the installer .exe file that you would in windows, you go to the repositories where the programs or "Packages" lie, and install it directly from the website.

However, you need to add the repositories to your sources list, which is a very simple task to do. In fact, in Cydia, there is a nifty little package that will add virtually every single source out there in one move, and it's called "all sources".

Install that from Cydia, and you will have more repositories then you know what to do with!

Once you have that installed, then you will be able to install just about everything you can think of until you fill up your iPhone, and there is virtually zero configuration, and everything you want is right on your homescreen, just as if you were installing from the appstore!

Now to address your individual problems:

Problem #1 On this site there's apps, they don't load to your phone, they load to your computer.

Solution: That is correct, you do not visit this site via your iphone to install apps directly to your iphone, again that is what Cydia is for. If you visit this site from your computer, then of course you can download the app and do it manually, but for simplicity sake, i would do it via Cydia, and ditch Installer.

Problem #2 When you DL an app, a loading software doesn't come with it.

Solution: You have to understand that when dealing with these "apps", you are not dealing with automatic "click on the .exe installer" file. That does work with Windows Mobile devices and Active Sync, but not here. Just about everything here is based on linux, which is an entirely different language all together. The reason that there is not click and install for linux is because Linux is mainly geared towards people who understand compiling sources, and installing manually via terminal. Which again is why we have the wonders of Cydia. It does all of that for you with the tap of a screen.

So you are correct in saying that "loading software doesn't come with it", but then again, there is no need for it.

Problem #3 This website that provides all of these apps doesn't have a loading software!

Solution: Again technically speaking, Cydia does this all for you. Loading it manually is cool if you want to feel smarter and better about yourself, however Cydia does it all for you, as does Installer, but no one really uses Installer anymore.

Problem #4 The app that you download isn't .app

Solution: I just randomly downloaded something from this site, and after unzipping it, inside was a file *.app. So I'm not entirely sure what to tell you there, but again.

Cydia is your friend.

Problem #5 There isn't a one-click loading software that'll just simply load your app onto your Spring Board. And isn't that what an iPhone app loading software is supposed to do?? Load an app? Why do they have all the do-it-yourself crap? Cydia, Apps, or Installer don't make you specify anything, you just click Install!!

Solution: Yes there is, you do it from your iPhone after you have Jailbroken it. During the Jailbreaking process there is a window that comes up asking you 3 things: Do you want to install "Cydia"? Do you want to install "Installer"? Do you want to change your boot logo to a "Pineapple"?. Its a screen that comes up with three little "X's" to choose your options. Generally speaking, most people just click on Cydia. Installer is what was before Cydia and is considered kinda obsolete. Yea it's there, but who cares, and the Pineapple, well that's a personal preference if you want your boot logo to be a pineapple...

As far as the "iPhone app loading software" goes, I am assuming that you are referring to either iTunes or the Appstore. Both are totally irrelevant in regards to loading alternative apps from Cydia on a Jailbroken phone.

And concerning your last comment: "Why do they have all the do-it-yourself crap? Cydia, Apps, or Installer don't make you specify anything, you just click Install!!"

Huh? What do it yourself crap are you talking about? Cydia and Installer are just as simple as Appstore.

I hope that this helps a little, and if not, please ask again. Write down detailed step by steps exactly what you want, and what you have done.

Try not to get agitated or impatient. This sort of things takes a bit of reading and research. It's not an instant gratification, point and click type of thing, at least not at first. Your going to need to read a bit, but once you've got it, the rest is cake!
    Last edited by boe_dye; 2009-03-01 at 04:45 PM.
    Herp a derp a derp a doooo!
    2009-03-01 04:41 PM
    Well the whole problem was that I didn't know what a Repo was or their function. So when I'd try to find some apps on Cydia I could barely find any. I DL'd "Cydia's Recommended Repos" which I guess is the replacement for "All Repos" as I did not find that.

So now I found all the apps I wanted, however I do have one more question. I have the PSX, Genisis, and SNES 4iPhone apps, but now how do I get the games for them? I couldn't find any games in Cydia.

Thank you for all of your help! You know your stuff and how to explain it well!

Btw, is there a way that you can change the pictures of the app buttons to any picture you want?
    2009-03-10 03:57 PM
    Hi gang, let me start off by saying thank you, you seem to be a fountain of knowledge. I'm quite the newbie at all of this so this may even seem redundant yet I could not locate these answers.
    The Iphone browser SetupiPhoneBrowser.1.81.exe from google codes doesn't seem to work nor the older versions. I know it to be the best yet there is nowhere else to find it, can you advise?
    Also there are 2 apps. that I can't seem to put a anme on but thought maybe I'd give it a try with you,
    1) an app that can hide other apps.
    2)a multi app or multi app platform.....ie.: An app that can have say safari and text messages open at the same time, so you can just shift through without say Safari having to always reload.
    Many thanx
    2009-03-10 04:16 PM
    Simple answer regarding ROMS, is that you don't download them from Cydia.

There is a gross questionable legality regarding roms. Some places consider them warez while others don't.

The real answer to that question is what ROMS are you downloading. NES, SNES, Sega, N64 and PSx are all no longer made and considered obsolete. Under the law there is a blurb concerning legally obsolete:

Legal Downloading Terms

However, you should know that while you can play these games on your iPhone, the idea is more of a novelty then anything else. Even NES games run a bit sluggish and have been more trouble then what they are worth.

Emu's were one of the first thing I installed when I Jailbroke, and I thought "Cool! I can play Super Mario Brothers!". But when I installed it, it was just kinda "meh". The sound was choppy, and the controls are a bit odd because you aren't really pushing any buttons so it was all a bit queer.

Which isn't to say that the dev didn't do a great job in putting it together, it's just one of those things that in the end doesn't gel well together.

I can't really vouch for the SNES, Sega, and PSx ones, but seeing as how the NES is the most basic, I can't imagine the others being any better.

And I really don't know a whole lot. Most of the time, I just feed off of the knowledge and wisdom of the real talent here. I just have a talent in being patient and translating that knowledge into laymen's terms.

Hi gang, let me start off by saying thank you, you seem to be a fountain of knowledge. I'm quite the newbie at all of this so this may even seem redundant yet I could not locate these answers.
    The Iphone browser SetupiPhoneBrowser.1.81.exe from google codes doesn't seem to work nor the older versions. I know it to be the best yet there is nowhere else to find it, can you advise?
    Also there are 2 apps. that I can't seem to put a anme on but thought maybe I'd give it a try with you,
    1) an app that can hide other apps.
    2)a multi app or multi app platform.....ie.: An app that can have say safari and text messages open at the same time, so you can just shift through without say Safari having to always reload.
    Many thanx
    Answer to Number 1) The app you are looking for is "Poof". It will hide whatever app you want including itself! Which you don't want to do. I can understand that you might want to hide somethings just to remove clutter. I have iTunes and Weather hidden.

Answer to Number 2) A multi app platform. An App that can more then one apps open at a time! Well the answer to that is Backgrounder! Very functional, and easy to use. Although I will tell you this, do the the amount of memory the iPhone has, backgrounder works well as long as you don't go overboard. I mostly use it for internet radioBOX, I stream alot of online radion via SHOUTcast when I am driving. But when I am using something like Google Maps or xGPS, it usually crashes the backgrounded application.

But when you are using something like radioBOX, flycast, dtunes or whatever with safari or email, or whatever, it works pretty good.

Generally speaking though it will do what you are looking to do, just as long as you don't set it for every single app to stay open all the time.
    Last edited by boe_dye; 2009-03-10 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Herp a derp a derp a doooo!
    2009-03-10 04:27 PM
    Wicked stuff!!!!!
    Poof works great, backgrounder ...Well I'm still trying to figure it out, as I'm not too sure if as an example, I'm using Safari and Dtunes at the same time, the web page doesn't seem to reload ( which is a great thing ) yet I keep wondering if its continuously using the internet to stay on the page...I'll have to check that through the usage in the "General" app.
    Thanx again.
    If I may ask you a few more questions as you really seem to know your stuff,
    There is an app called Screen Splitr which I can't seem to get to work. Through the settings inDTunes I activate the TV out tab, turn on The app go back to the browse section and play...Say any video I have there, the Iphone 3g screen goes blank and nothing happens on the computer to which it is hooked up to.
    I'm completely at a loss with it.
    There is also the issue about still trying to locate a working copy or similar "Iphone Browser " so if you may have any ideas on that as well it would be greatly appreciated.
    BTW have you ever tried out the Video Recorder ( not the Cycorder) but the one that claims you can upload to the internet, post it to youtube and the works....Well I've tried on two separate occassions to get in contact with them via emails and never received word back, I even tried to purchase the full version. I did at first take the app, installed it tried it out and it worked great until you tried to upload to anything. Every program started to freeze up then the system would no longer work and needed to be reprogramed from scratch...

There is a newer version out now and wanted to see if anyone has yet to use it or has had any similar problems.
    Thanx yet once again
    2009-03-17 02:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD