I'm on a roll today with all of these help threads, thankfully I'm getting good results so far thanks to you people, anyway...

The iPhone is a first generation 4GB model phone. The model number on the back reads A1203.

The phone has been unlocked and jailbroken with Quickpwn, but I don't think that is the issue because the previous owner mentioned it would shut down on them when they tried to make calls (which if they recall correctly, is a bit different than my current issue).

What is happening is, if I leave the phone to go into autolock mode, a minute or so later I will find that the phone has shut down/off, and I have to hold down the power button to bring it back on. Pressing the home button doesn't do anything.

What is interesting, to me at least, is that if the phone is plugged into the USB, it doesn't do this, it acts normally. It's been sitting here, plugged into the USB for hours now, and I can hit the home button right now, unlock the slider, and go right to the menu. Unplug the USB, let it sit for three minutes, suddenly it's turned off.

Thoughts?

Edit - I still haven't found a solution. I did discover that if I turn off Autolock the phone does not shut down, even when unplugged from USB. Problem with this is, the battery runs down after a few hours because the screen never turns off.
    Last edited by ThrowingChicken; 2009-04-14 at 11:41 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2009-04-14 11:11 PM
    I would start with a fresh restore. Leave it stock for a bit and see if the problem persists.
    2009-04-14 11:35 PM
    This exact thing happened to me.

First tell me, Is there water in the camera lens? I dropped the top half of my iPhone in a cup of water ( not much, only like the very top got wet ) and i had water in my headphone jack and some moisture in my camera ( though i can still see the white litmus strip in the headphone so i think i still have my warranty ! ). I had this exact problem after that, id just leave an alarm clock app up that doesnt really use up the battery so it would stay on without shutting off. But after 3 days when the moisture in the camera evaporated, it stopped shutting down.

What i deduced is that there is moisture in the sleep at the top or you dropped it on the button and got it depressed in so it thinks its behind held down for 10 seconds after the few minutes for some reason. But once the moisture ( probably on the circut or completing the circut the sleep button would normally complete ) dissipated, it stopped shutting itself down.
    Last edited by ShadowDXDragon; 2009-04-15 at 03:04 AM.
    2009-04-15 03:00 AM
    nah not wet, as far as I know.
    2009-04-15 03:21 AM
    My iphone had water damage when i installed the invisible shield, i sent it away, apple sent it back you know the story. It was turning off every 5 mins drove me nuts. When it was sent away it was prob turned off for a good month or so. I think this fixed my problem. If there was any moisture inside the phone, having it turned off and allowing to dry for a month fixed my problem. a good 6 months on, and i have had no problems . So just leave it off for a good while, it fixed mine, maybe it might help yours
    2009-04-15 03:35 AM
    I suppose I could remove the back cover and let it sit for a while.
    2009-04-15 04:05 AM
    well that may not be necessary, just leave it turned off for as long as possible, the longer the better.

Depending on how long ago it happened, i have heard that putting your iPhone in a zip log bag with a lot of rice can help, as the rice absorbs the water. Let me know how you go
    2009-04-15 04:10 AM
    I don't even believe it has water damage, to be honest. I've seen no signs of such, but whatever it takes to get it to work...

I saw a video where they were talking about dunking the thing in rubbing alcohol, but that just doesn't sound right to me.
    2009-04-15 04:12 AM
    Water damage doesnt have to be extensive, just some moisture on the inside, maybe you took it out in the rain and it snuck in. Or you put it on a wet surface and quickly took it away. Just a small amount could have sneaked in. But if there hasnt been any water damage, full restore it and send it to apple.

But honestly, the problem has to be with your sleep button thinking its being pressed, so did you drop it? Or accidently press it to hard?
    2009-04-15 04:33 AM
    I bought the phone used, so what happened to it in the past is unknown to me. I just know the previous owner said it would shut down on them, and that was before I restored and used quickpwn.
    2009-04-15 04:40 AM
    haha i remember telling telstra how stupid the water damage thing is as far as warranty's are converned, apparently, if im talking on the phone and drop of rain (as if its spitting) suddenly fell and landed through the headphone jack, that would mean that my phone is no longer covered by warranty, and apparently apple can then say they will not look at my iphone because it was submerged in water lol its so stupid!
    2009-04-15 05:36 AM
    Nearly every electronics company doesn't cover water damage unless you buy an extended service plan. I think it is BS too. I knew someone who had their laptop go kaput from water damage, and he ended up hiring a guy to go through it and hide the water damage so the company would replace it.

What really sucks, on some phones and electronics there are these little white strips that turn pink if they get wet, and companies will refuse to service the item if the strip is pink... thing is, just because the strip is pink doesn't mean water actually got on the electronics. I had an old Samsung cell phone that T-Mobile refused to fix because the strip under the battery was pink, so I took it apart and found there were more strips inside the casing (I guess in case the customer tries to pull a fast one), but none of them were pink.
    2009-04-15 05:53 AM
    yeah i agree with you, and thats the thing just because the strip is pink doesnt mean it has water damage. Thats what happenend to me, and then when i actually had a problem with my iPhone they wouldnt look at it! ah!!

yeah the sensor in my headphone jack wasnt pink, it was still the normal colour, but the one in the dock is haha. alwaL!
    2009-04-15 06:27 AM
    Well luckilyfor me my iphones strips are still white on both even though I know it fell in water and even the backlight was having issues
    2009-04-15 01:08 PM
    if the strip is pink apple will give you a hard time on replacing
    2009-04-16 01:14 AM
    yeah i know, but at the time water damage didnt pop into my head at any moment, simply cos i knew i hadnt go it wet. alwal! still works thats the main think.
    2009-04-16 07:41 AM
    Well I tried letting the phone sit there for a few weeks with zero use, then on Friday I decided to give it a go. No change. What I did was find a program called INSOMNIA which prevents the phone from going into sleep mode but still allows it to go into auto-lock. So that works great, though it's not a real fix it's just a way around the issue. Unfortunately it took less than 24 hours for the battery to get drained. Is there a way to look at the specific executions that take place when the phone goes into sleep mode, then possibly shut them all off, turn them on one by one until I can isolate the command that is causing the phone to shut down?
    2009-05-10 04:21 PM
    having this same issue, but no water damage for sure. got a battery case, and that fixed the issue for now, stlll, a pain. did a full restore, same issue. thought it was software, its obviously hardware. i have a 2g 8gb.
    2009-08-08 07:37 AM
    I seem to have found a solution to this problem. I have tried restoring it many times and hacking it again and again. So finally I remembered. "I can listen to music even if the phone is locked, maybe that will keep the phone from shutting off when locked" and so i tried it and it worked. I hope this helps.
    2009-09-09 10:20 PM
    This sounds like an issue i was working on a while back ago on 2.2. Power management I believe may be causing your problem. I have a solution but I have not tested it on my 3.x phones cause ever since i put the files in my phone when it was originaly giving me problems I never saw the problem again up to my current update 3.01

http://modmyi.com/forums/general-iph...alled-try.html

I should look and see if anything in these files have changed heck the location may be different but so far most things I manually replace have been in the same location.
    2009-09-10 10:03 AM
25 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD