Hello everyone,

I'm new but I've been reading the site for hours now, ever since the possibility of acquiring an iPhone became a reality to me. There is so much great information on here, I am going to spend a lot of time here when I get my iPhone, I can tell.

I am a fairly experienced IT type guy, but I don't have any experience with the pinouts of microSD and SIM, so if anyone technically savy reads this question, I'm sure it might sound like "hey can I turn water into wine?" etc

I will be getting an iPhone 3g for about 50 bucks used in the next week, and replacing the battery so I can jam with it. I will not be using the device as a phone because AT&T does not have good reception here, and same goes for most GSM carriers. I do not think Iowa has a 3g network yet either. So it will just be a glorified mp3 player for now.

I've been researching ways of adding microSD support to the iPhone through hardware mods for some time now, and it occurred to me that if there were Apps was written to access the data in the SIM card, then perhaps a makeshift adapter could be made that houses a microSD card inside a hollow SIM structure, similar to the microSD to SD adapters. I realize that SD has all sorts of protocols for accessing data, and I also have no idea what kind of serial or parallel or whatever data interface SIM cards have, but I thought just MAYBE someone could write a really intense App that could software emulate an SD controller chip.

Sounds like a lot of work for the maybe 3 other people in the world who will not be using the SIM slot on their iPhone due to no reception, but I am really interested in why this would not work. I say this because I am sure there is some crazy thing that I just don't know about that makes it obvious that this could never work. Just like how after I read Jurassic Park, it took my 2 more books to realize why the dinosaur cloning methods could never work in real life hahaha.

Anyways, If anyone has ANY information that they could lend, I would appreciate it. Also I am curious how SIM cards work in terms of their data capacity. Maybe if there are SIM cards that can store a huge amount of data, I could build a SIM reader for my computer and store my music on SIMs and use an App to stream them off the card or something ridiculous like that

Thanks guys
    Last edited by Siamey; 2009-04-16 at 11:38 AM.
    2009-04-16 11:36 AM
    if IF you manage to get it working the only thing you could possibly access is things like pictures or own personal documents.

Because iTunes "encodes" the music and videos used on your phone/ipod so that it can reconise them and only IT can.
    Unless you used a 3rd party music/video app on your phone which can access files in the original format but non of these apps are any good compared to the stock app.
    Being an i can be a lot of pressure. you have to live right up to the small point.
    2009-04-16 12:25 PM
    I really think this would be impossible. Definitely a Water/Wine situation - Now that is one I'd be interesting if you could crack it
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.
    2009-04-16 03:36 PM
    Interesting. Really? none of the alternative music player apps are any good on iphone? I was really hoping I wouldn't have to put my music into iTunes. Id love to just have flat mp3s on the phone.
    2009-04-16 07:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD