ok so i'm trying to conserve some memory, since i keep having games/safari crash...i noticed when i bring up processes on sbsettings, mail is constently being shown as "open", no matter how many times i kill the process it keeps opening it up...it's somewhat of a memory hog, so i'd like to keep it closed...my question is, is mail an app that just will always run in the background, or am i doing something wrong here? i have all fetch/push settings off, so there's no reason for it to be staying open...any help?
    2009-04-21 05:21 AM
    What happens when you restart your phone?

I seem to remember something about Mail being constantly open, but I don't remember what, maybe try a search on here...
    Respect your elders.
    2009-04-21 06:03 AM
    If you want your push or fetch to work, yes, It has to stay open. Otherwise, it shouldn't.
    2009-04-21 06:15 AM
    yeah it still keeps opening even after restart. Like I said I have all fetch/push settings turned off. I kill the process and a few mins later it's running in the background again. I really don't understand it.
    2009-04-21 07:11 AM
    I'm fairly sure it's supposed to then, I'd suggest you do a search if you are that worried about it though.
    Respect your elders.
    2009-04-21 07:53 AM
    I have the same problem.
    Mail.app is coming back after i turned it off in SBSettings after a while.

I'm on 3.0 (first generation Iphone) and turned off all Emailreception.

Sometimes it ends in a Safe Mode and it seems Intelliscreen has to make a Restart.

any clue?

Okay. I found out, that it has to do with Intelliscreen.

I removed Intelliscreen. After that mail.app is not active in background. So i think Intelliscreen crashed after killing mail.app, because it needs mail.app, even all mailreceiption is turned off in IS.

There other problems with Intelliscreen, so Intelliborn/Rockapp has some work to do, to get it working fluently on OS 3.0.

regards
    Last edited by Mister K.; 2009-06-25 at 08:43 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2009-06-25 08:43 PM
    After runnin 3.0 for a while and upgrading Intelliscreen, i have to say that it is not a problem with Intelliscreen.

I turned off all push/fetch in settings and the mail.app is coming back after i closed it via SBSettings.
    Is there a way to close it permanently?

regards
    2009-07-12 09:48 AM
    I don't have intelliscreen installed, but mail app is always running.
    I do not see a "mail" setting in system/general... I think it was removed after I took off
    a cydia app.
    Any fix to stop mail app from always running?

Note: I use "mbox" for my email.
    2009-09-24 12:00 AM
    Ive noticed mail.app opens in the background anytime I open up a contact even it its to make a call. There's a big thread on Apple's forums about this annoyance but no solutions at least last time I looked.
    2009-09-24 01:34 AM
    mail.app is supposed to run in the background, it always does, it's not a big deal. when you don't fetch or push it actually doesn't do anything, and probably consumes very very very little memory. you COULD write an autostart daemon that kills it, but ...
    2009-09-24 01:40 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD