My Dad has a 2g phone and wants to do a backup of his contacts and numbers in Windows Outlook Express.
    I found my Dad sitting at his computer cussing and moaning about the over 300 contacts he has in his phone and now has to add then all manually in Outlook.

In iTunes it gives an option to back up contacts with Outlook.
    He says when you check that function, it will clear all your contacts and only replace them with what you have already in Outlook and he will lose everything else on his phone.
    I have always used use this function so I'm not 100% sure if what he is stating is true.
    I say check the box and it will back up all contacts in the phone.
    I hope I'm correct. Our bet is a grand dinner of choice no expenses spared.
    2009-05-09 12:44 AM
    Scroll to the bottom in the same iTunes window. You will see more contact/calendar sync options. You get to choose !!!
    2009-05-09 12:57 AM
    Scroll to the bottom in the same iTunes window. You will see more contact/calendar sync options. You get to choose !!!
    Don't think you understood my question or perhaps I did not explain myself correctly.
    We know about checking sync contacts with Outlook. I do that myself all the time when I sync, he does not.
    My question is, will it delete everything on his phone and replace it with ONLY what is on his contact list now in Outlook.
    2009-05-09 01:05 AM
    iTunes gives me the option to 'Replace information on this iPhone" with ....

At the very bottom it also states "During the next sync only. iTunes will replace the selected information on this iPhone with information from this computer"

If checked, Outlook contacts or calendar REPLACES everything on the iPhone. This also implies everything on the iPhone is deleted. Upon completion iPhone has the same contents as Outlook. Outlook is not changed.

It is very easy to back-up your Outlook contact/calendar database first if you're worried something might go wrong.
    Last edited by Mes; 2009-05-09 at 02:08 AM.
    2009-05-09 02:02 AM
    To be sure if the outlook express is on the same machine with-in Outlook on the file menu select Import and Export > Import internet mail and addresses, select next > Then select Outlook Express 4.x,5.x,6.x in the list and have only import address book selected then select next. After import to Outlook then change iTunes...
    8gb 2G iPhone 2.1 (Pwned)

2009-05-09 02:15 AM

Ok, Maybe I'm not explaining it right or I'm Blonde.

Lets say that in Outlook my Dad has zero contacts.
    If he checks the box "sync with Outlook" in iTunes, will all the contacts on his phone show up in Outlook?
    2009-05-09 02:23 AM
    Lets say that in Outlook my Dad has zero contacts.
    If he checks the box "sync with Outlook" in iTunes, will all the contacts on his phone show up in Outlook?
    Outlook: 0 contacts
    iPhone: 500+ contacts.

At completion of a normal iTunes sync: Outlook 500, iPhone 500?

Yes..........., It is supposed to populate Outlook with the iPhone contacts.

However, I would be cautious. Backup the iPhone contacts database just in case something goes wrong. Use SSH or DiskAid and copy the following file to your computer.
    /private/var/mobile/Library/AddressBook/AddressBook.sqlitedb

If something happens you can easily copy it back to the phone, change permissions: 0755, owner & group: mobile, reboot and it's back to normal.
    2009-05-09 02:50 AM
    Outlook: 0 contacts
    iPhone: 500+ contacts.

At completion of a normal iTunes sync: Outlook 500, iPhone 500?

Yes..........., It is supposed to populate Outlook with the iPhone contacts.
    Sweet, that's the answer I wanted. Thank you so much.
    I haz a free dinner, Steak and Lobster buddy.

Thanks you so much now I can print this give it to my Dad, and DAYum, am I hungry.
    2009-05-09 02:57 AM
    Sweet, that's the answer I wanted. Thank you so much.
    I haz a free dinner, Steak and Lobster buddy.

Thanks you so much now I can print this give it to my Dad, and DAYum, am I hungry.
    Glad to help. Don't forget my caution!! Please make a backup of the iPhone contact database. It would be terrible if something went wrong and you had no backup.
    2009-05-09 03:09 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD