I have searched through as many posts as I could but have not found a solution. I have a 2G iPhone, recently upgraded to 2.2.1 (5H11) and the MODEM firmware is 04.05.04_G. It will find my WI-FI router (D-Link WBR-1310), sometimes it will connect but will lose the connection either immediately of pretty quickly. I have done all the usual, restart everything, change security levels etc but cannot get it to be stable. The phone did work a little while ago but started having problems, not backing up and other stuff which is why I decided to go to 2.2.1.

I used Quickpwn to jailbreak the phone and everything else seems to be working perfectly, I am on a Pay As You Go AT&T SIM and can do everything fine.

From some of the posts it could be a downgrade of the baseband is required, can anyone confirm and suggest a method?

Or should I wait for official release of 3?

Thanks for any help.
    2009-05-11 08:54 PM
    ...you basically have two options here.

1. Call AT&T (if you're still in warranty) and they'll send you out another phone. They are aware of the problem with 2.2.1 and as long as you haven't voided your warranty or set off any of your moisture sensors you'll be fine. Just make sure you restore back to stock firmware so they can't prove that you jailbroke it at all.

2. Use the freezer trick. Turn off your phone and put it in a couple of ziplock bags, sucking the air out of each before sealing it (or vacuum seal it, if you have the ability). This will help keep condensation from forming on your phone and setting off the moisture detectors. Put it in your freezer for 15 to 20 minutes, bring it out and turn it back on. It should find and connect to your wifi.

Option 2 worked for me and while others have mentioned it only lasting for a day or two before their wifi quit working again, mine is going on more than a week and a half and hasn't stopped working. Granted, I've become a lot more aware of turning my wifi off when I know I'm not going to be connecting to a wifi network (I love SBSettings for making that so easy to do) but so far no problems. And I checked my water sensors that I can see (docking connector and in the bottom of the headphone jack) and didn't notice any changes so I'm pretty sure my warranty is still valid.

But I do have a question for somebody else who might know more; Does downgrading your baseband seem to help with these wifi problems? I know that 2.2.1 removes a throttle that Apple put on the wifi chip to keep it from overheating, but is that more tied with the 2.2.1 firmware itself or does it have something to do with the newer baseband? If it does have to do with the baseband, wouldn't it be a good idea for everybody affected to downgrade their baseband to keep the problem from coming back?

I'm just asking to see if it might make a difference. Either way I can't downgrade because my phone is running the 5.09 bootloader. But if it helps somebody else...
    2009-05-12 12:40 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD