Just today (out of the clear blue), my iPhone stopped playing the sound it should when I receive a text message. I tried going into settings and choosing a different sound, putting it in silent mode, doing the home+power button reset thing, restarting SpringBoard on its own multiple times, and many other things and all are a no-go. It will vibrate, but not make a sound.

I'd really rather not restore, but this is a huge issue for me, and I wanna know if any of you guys have any solutions for me.

Thanks,
    KoNeko
    2008-03-11 04:15 AM
    i see that a lot of people are having similar issues, either your headphone jack is dirty and the phone thinks the headphones are plugged in so you might want to clean it. or you can do a simple settings reset by going to settings>general>reset>reset all settings. hopefully this helps
    2008-03-11 04:20 AM
    The ONLY thing I can think of is this.....have you by any chance installed SwirlyMMS onto your iphone?? It can interfere with your SMS alerts. If you have, uninstall SwirlyMMS and restart. Other than that (i know a long shot idea). I can only think of restore. Never heard of another issue like that, with a valid reason.
    2008-03-11 04:20 AM
    did your silent switch get flipped? top left side should not have a red dot!
    did you get dirt in your headphone hole? insert the headphones a few times.
    http://jpassoc.com/x -- with free itunes under the puppy!
    If I help you out, please press THANKS!

3g QuickPWN'ed with 2.1
    2008-03-11 04:46 AM
    Dude,

Is it possible that you have installed PYSL application ? I have installed it on my phone and even if i dont have it enabled it still blocked my SMS notification.

So , i un-installed it and my phone worked fine. Got back my SMS notification including the sound!

Hope this helps...

Cheers.
    2008-08-28 10:53 AM
    Hi to all, there is a switch on the side of the iphone. If you can see a red ( or orange dot ) it means it is turned off. It's a silent switch so try to flip it up. Hope this helps thanks!
    2010-06-13 01:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD