Hi. I just bought a used iPhone 3g on craigslist this evening and it is working perfectly fine as it should be. It still has its warranty until Janeuary of 2010. The phone is a little scratched up on the back and I was just wondering if there are any tip and tricks so I can go into the appstore and get my phone replaced for a refurbished/new one. I do not have the box or anything. I just bought the phone as is and I also do not have any receipts or anything. Even if there is no tip and tricks to do this, I was wondering if my iPhone can be serviced under warranty if I have the phone itself with no paperwork proof that I bought it. Thank you for your time.
    2009-05-21 08:53 AM
    Rather than lose sleep on "why I tried to brick my phone" and get a new one.
    Why not just replace the back cover. many colors and styles available. Tons on eBay.
    2009-05-21 09:02 AM
    how much replacing those costs? around 50$ i believe with labor and meterial? too expensive for me heh heh >.<
    2009-05-21 09:14 AM
    The cases are quite cheap really and there are tons of vids on you tube, there are threads here on our forum about "How To" .If you have any skills and a couple of bucks, this might be the way to go....................Just sayin' O.o
    2009-05-21 09:18 AM
    I believe one of my favorite mods on this site, Cpjr has a tutorial for changing the housing and I believe he also does it for you if you send your phone to him.
    2009-05-21 05:50 PM
    there was a kid on here before who didnt like a few cosmetic scratches, so he wanted to trick the apple store too.. oie.
    but since they are trying to get rid of them, i'd claim that the battery dies really fast.

or you could get one of those vibration apps off of Cydia and set them on highest and try to break the vibrator.. someone i know did that by accident.
    2009-05-22 12:07 AM
    Or you could just try the honest way....and keep it, instead of trying to rip them off.
    2009-05-22 12:25 AM
    Or you could just try the honest way....and keep it, instead of trying to rip them off.
    exactly my point, thanks for having my back cpjr......O.o
    2009-05-22 04:29 AM
    +1, you bought a used iPhone on craigslist. You could have walked away if it wasn't good enough for you. So instead Apple should pay?

Why not get a really cool case for it? I absolutely love my SwitchEasy CapsuleRebel. There are like a million cases out there. Changing out the back runs the risk of breaking your phone, and voiding warranty. It's not the hardest thing to do, but it's not the easiest either.
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream!
    2009-05-22 07:10 AM
    If you wanted a new phone you should have bought one. Geez
    2009-05-22 07:42 AM
    I think the best thing to do is to take your phone in to a Genius store and say ' please take this off my hands and give it to someone that wants it as I don't.'
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.
    2009-05-22 09:05 AM
    PM me for my address, I'll be expecting it soon, thanks.
    2009-05-22 06:19 PM
    Send me yours and I will swap it out with the back from my 3G
    2009-05-22 08:45 PM
    My friend got his messed up iPhone replaced (kept popping up with the unsupported accessory dialog) but only after confirming his plan details and matching his phone's IMEI with his account.
    2009-05-23 05:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD