I just took a video from my 3G[S] and sent it to myself via MMS. It seems that there is some mad compression going on because when i go to view the received video it is very small and poor quality, and so is the one that sits on the other side as sent, so that says to me that it is not my carrier but that it is the phone compressing it before sending.

Anyone confirm this is the same on all carriers?

I'm on O2 UK

Thanks guys
    2009-06-23 02:00 AM
    This happens a lot to help make the upload a lot faster, as well as the download.
    This happens on most phones.
    The compression obviously happens before it's sent so that it will send faster.
    There might be two compressions happening; One on the sender side, and one on the carrier side.
    I can't be sure though.

8GB iPhone 2G
    3.1.2 - Unlocked and Jailbroken

AMD Athlon 5000 Dual-Core 2.2GHz with 4.00 GB RAM
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
    2009-06-23 02:04 AM
    That sucks! I hope this doesn't happen with AT&T, but who am I trying to kid?
    Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

If I helped you, be sure to press the Thanks! button over there ->
    If I didn't, press it anyway.
    2009-06-23 02:07 AM
    Ok, well it sucks that you cant save video's received via MMS, but anyway.

If i send the same video to myself via e-mail, i can see that it does indeed get compressed, but, the quality is as it was when taking it, so it seems it is just MMS that reduces the quality. Also it can only be watched in portrait, landscape doesn't work, and again, no option to save.

Another thing i noticed is that any video's taken prior to a restore, even if you have them saved in the image folder, they are not synced back to the iPhone, which again sucks big time.

All comes down to Apple's greed again and them not wanting anyone to be able to send and save media. PFFFF!!!!
    Last edited by Andy51081; 2009-06-23 at 02:43 AM.
    2009-06-23 02:37 AM
    You can't save them? WTF?!
    Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

If I helped you, be sure to press the Thanks! button over there ->
    If I didn't, press it anyway.
    2009-06-23 02:50 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD