User Tag List

Hello everyone, I've searched around the forums and couldn't find a solution to this. But all of my camera roll thumbnails turned black and any new pictures I take don't show up in there

This only started happening after I updated to 3.0

Yes, the iPhone is jailbroken/unlocked

I would post a screenshot of it, but when i try to take a screenshot of it, it's not in the camera roll (go figure)

But I'd really appreciate any help on this for anybody that's more experienced with the iPhone

-Looking forward to a reply

EDIT: Turns out I just downloaded SwapCameraRoll from Cydia and it solved my problem. Not sure if that's a permanent fix but it seems to work for now

So if anyone else is having this problem. This seems to fix it
    Last edited by Shusuke028; 2009-06-23 at 08:25 PM.
    2009-06-23 06:29 PM
    well for anyone else thats still having this problem.........

previous iPhone FW's would store your camera rolls into your DCIM100 or whatever, leaving you with files like

100232.jpg
    100232.thm

(note the 2 files that were needed just in that folder alone)

Well aparently with the new 3.0 FW, it's a little different.
    Yes, your pictures are still stored in the DCIM100 folder, BUT the thumbnails are not, they are stored in the "Misc" folder. So all you have to do is move all your ".thm" files into the Misc folder.
    2009-06-23 10:23 PM
    A. Using WINSCP, create a .MISC folder inside /private/var/mobile/Media/DCIM/100APPLE/

B. Move all .THM files from /private/var/mobile/Media/DCIM/100APPLE/ to the new /private/var/mobile/Media/DCIM/100APPLE/.MISC folder

C. Set user permissions on folder /private/var/mobile/Media/DCIM to 755, while selecting the option "Set group, owner and permissions recursively" (so the permissions will be set for all folders under DCIM)
    2009-06-29 11:33 PM
    This happened to a friend of mine too. Do the pictures come back after you delete them?

Did you happen to restore from backup? That was his problem, he restored from backup which is a no no. He restored the phone and set as new phone and all was well.
    2009-06-29 11:45 PM
    I had the same problem, fixing the permissions for DCIM folder did the trick for me, and then i simply deleted all the photos from camera roll and then i clicked some new photos, and BOOM, everything was perfect.
    iPhone 4
    Firmware : iOS4
    Carrier : Softbank (Japan)
    Jailbroken using Jailbreakme
    2009-06-30 01:38 AM
    This happened to a friend of mine too. Do the pictures come back after you delete them?

Did you happen to restore from backup? That was his problem, he restored from backup which is a no no. He restored the phone and set as new phone and all was well.
    I didn't delete any pictures, i moved all my old .THM to the new .MISC folder, which saved all my old pictures and i could view them again.

I did in fact restored from a backup, and now all is well for me too
    2009-07-01 11:34 PM
    I must have spent 2x 8 hour nights on this. It was not quite the solutions found at
    - http://modmyi.com/forums/newreply.ph...te=1&p=4674741
    - http://modmyi.com/forums/iphone-ipod...humbnails.html

It ended up being that the following dir hierarchy and files are needed:
    Code:
    - /DCIM
      - /.MISC
        - Info.plist
      - /100APPLE
        - /.MISC
          - .BTH and .THM thumbnail files for each photo
        - .JPG files
    Just as important, and not spelt out anywher:
    ALL FILES AND FOLDERS NEED TO BE OWNED BY 'mobile' USER

Ex:
    Code:
    Nicks-iPhone:~/Media/DCIM mobile$ ls -la
    total 0
    drwxr-xr-x  4 mobile mobile  136 Aug 27 02:35 ./
    drwxr-xr-x 11 mobile mobile  476 Oct 30 18:40 ../
    drwxr-xr-x  2 mobile mobile  170 Nov 12 00:36 .MISC/
    drwxr-xr-x  3 mobile mobile 6018 Nov 12 00:41 100APPLE/

Nicks-iPhone:~/Media/DCIM/100APPLE mobile$ ls -la
    total 77892
    drwxr-xr-x 3 mobile mobile    6018 Nov 12 00:41 ./
    drwxr-xr-x 4 mobile mobile     136 Aug 27 02:35 ../
    drwxr-xr-x 2 mobile mobile   11900 Nov 12 00:41 .MISC/
    -rw-r--r-- 1 mobile mobile   72622 Mar 13  2009 IMG_0001.JPG
    -rw-r--r-- 1 mobile mobile 2400229 Mar 15  2009 IMG_0002.JPG
    -rw-r--r-- 1 mobile mobile  119552 Mar 19  2009 IMG_0003.JPG
    Use chown as root user, to fix if they are wrong:
    Code:
    chown -v mobile 100APPLE/
    chown -v mobile *

Also, you have to verify that the Info.plist file has the correct # in the XML. If your jpg files goes up to IMG_0103.JPG, you need to reflect this as so in that file:
    Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
    <plist version="1.0">
    <dict>
            <key>LastFileGroupNumber-100</key>
            <integer>103</integer>
    </dict>
    </plist>

The jpg files that had the root ownerships, were during a certain date range. I think it coincided with my use of the jailbroke-only picture program "Snapture". Maybe the combo of snapture and 3.0 upgrade does it?

-Nick Yeates-
    Homepage [Nick Yeates -dot- com]
    2009-11-12 06:14 AM
    yeah i had permission problem just like this by copying the dcim folder from my 3g to 3gs phone...also when i took a picture it would not create a proper thumbnail..changed all permissions on folders and files to be what was on the 3g rahter than what was created by winscp and voila, everything is happy again
    2009-11-12 04:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD