I've had my 3g for about 6 months, and it's always worked ok.

Now I got in from work today, and the battery was very low, so I plugged it in, and just as I did, the phone shut down. Maybe this was just bad timing and it was the moment the phone was about to turn off?

Anyway, i'm stuck on the battery screen with the lightning bolt when ever it's plugged in. I tried charging it for about 2 hours, and it's still exactly the same with the almost empty battery screen.

What can i do?
    2009-07-07 10:29 PM
    try holding down the power and home button to reset it.
    2009-07-07 10:35 PM
    try holding down the power and home button to reset it.
    Cheers Neil, but that just makes the screen go blank for a few seconds, and then it goes back to the flat battery screen
    2009-07-07 10:46 PM
    Does itunes pick it up?, you may be forced to restore it
    2009-07-07 10:55 PM
    ^ +1 , that would be my opinion also. Do a restore in iTunes, set up as a fresh phone so it doesn't pick up anything from your old set up. If the problem is still there yo may have a hardware issue.
    Good luck.
    2009-07-07 11:03 PM
    thanks guys, didnt really want to be doing that... but doesnt look like i got all that much choice!

just restoring now

s**t. "The iphone "iPhone" could not be restored!" lol

looks like I'm a bit stuck now!
    Last edited by DavC; 2009-07-07 at 11:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2009-07-07 11:09 PM
    can you get it into Safe Mode?
    2009-07-07 11:18 PM
    nope, can't get it on at all. I can get it into DFU mode so itunes can see it. but then it fails to fix it.

no idea what's gone wrong. was working fine today. just tried rejailbreaking it and that didnt work as it stuck on the screen with the hardrive.

looks like i'll have to send it back to o2
    2009-07-07 11:25 PM
    sounds like the battery might be done... might have to buy another battery...
    2009-07-08 03:12 AM
    nope, can't get it on at all. I can get it into DFU mode so itunes can see it. but then it fails to fix it.

no idea what's gone wrong. was working fine today. just tried rejailbreaking it and that didnt work as it stuck on the screen with the hardrive.

looks like i'll have to send it back to o2
    Has to be in DFU mode to move forward.
    Try this method and here is a comprehensive tutorial.

DFU mode
    INSTRUCTIONS
    Step 1. Turn off iPhone
    Step 2. Hold down the power and home button.
    Step 3. When you see the Apple logo, release the power button but continue holding the home button down.
    Step 4. Open iTunes and wait for it to tell you that itís in restore mode.

Alternative Method:
    Step 1. Connect iPhone to USB then listen to the sound when it connect and disconnect.
    Step 2. Hold the home and power buttons until hear the disconnect sound then release power button.
    Step 3. Wait until you hear another sound then release home button.
    2009-07-08 03:55 AM
    sounds like the battery might be done... might have to buy another battery...
    don't want to be changing battery's. if the phone's broke i'll just make use of the warranty so not a big problem. (Let's just say my experience of pulling apart mobiles hasn't been entirely successful!)

Has to be in DFU mode to move forward.
    Try this method and here is a comprehensive tutorial.

DFU mode
    INSTRUCTIONS
    Step 1. Turn off iPhone
    Step 2. Hold down the power and home button.
    Step 3. When you see the Apple logo, release the power button but continue holding the home button down.
    Step 4. Open iTunes and wait for it to tell you that it’s in restore mode.
    Couldn't get to step 3. pressing power and home just brought back the flat battery symbol after a few seconds

Alternative Method:
    Step 1. Connect iPhone to USB then listen to the sound when it connect and disconnect.
    Step 2. Hold the home and power buttons until hear the disconnect sound then release power button.
    Step 3. Wait until you hear another sound then release home button.
    couldnt get past step 1 cos it didnt make a sound!

-----------------

thanks for all the help guys.

I left it on charge all night, (while i think it was in DFU mode, as the sceen stayed off while charging). And this morning, after getting my receipt and stuff ready to take it back, i pressed the power button and sure enough it started up, with a full battery very wierd. seems ok at the mo, just hope it behaves its self now otherwise it is going back!
    2009-07-08 01:31 PM
    I now pronounce it dead mate
    2009-07-08 09:41 PM
    Turn the iPhone off.. hold the home button while pluging the USB while iTunes is open ..try that
    2009-07-08 10:21 PM
    Make use of the warranty.

This sounds like your only option now. Good luck.
    Last edited by Bo Troxell; 2009-07-08 at 10:57 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2009-07-08 10:56 PM
    lol, just to quote my other post:

I left it on charge all night, (while i think it was in DFU mode, as the sceen stayed off while charging). And this morning, after getting my receipt and stuff ready to take it back, i pressed the power button and sure enough it started up, with a full battery very wierd. seems ok at the mo, just hope it behaves its self now otherwise it is going back!
    so yes, all working at the moment just waiting to see if it breaks again
    2009-07-08 11:49 PM
    use the warranty get rid of that lemon
    2009-07-09 01:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD