I purchased an AppleCare Protection Plan for my iPhone. I paid $69. When I went to register the warranty, I was told that Apple will not warranty the phone unless it is registered. Registration is impossible unless the phone is with AT&T. The end result is that I got a refund of $69, but have no extended warranty.

I did some research and found a warranty through SquareTrade. The price is $54 for my 16gb iPhone. The warranty is less money for 4gb and 8gb iphone, but I don't know the prices off hand. You can go to the SquareTrade website if you are interested.

Before I buy this warranty, I wanted to know if anyone has had any experience with SquareTrade? I am sure that like with any other company there will be good stories and bad. Usually it is the people with bad experiences that come out of the woodwork to tell their story, but I am hoping to get good information about the company regardless.

The $54 warranty give me a three year warranty, including the battery. SquareTrade does not care that I am using the phone with T-Mobile.

There is an accidental coverage plan as well, but it is an additional $58 and a $50 deductible if a claim is made. That seems steep because that would make the warranty $162 after the first claim/deductible. That is about 30% of the purchase price, and I am not willing to pay that kind of money for a warranty.

What is your opinion? Is it worth $54 to get a 3 year warranty on a 16gb iPhone?

The details can be found here:
    XxX.squaretrade.com/pages/learn-more-warranty-buyer#
    (I am unsure of the link policy, so I did not post a live link - just change those x's to w's)

Thank you for your opinions.
    2008-03-14 04:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD