User Tag List

Hey board,
    I recently bought this iPhone off of some kid for $15 (figured if I couldn't fix it, no biggie), and I'm hoping you fine people might be able to help me get the thing running.

It is a first generation 8gb phone. It looks like it is in good condition although the black cover was loose enough that I could pry it off with my fingers. What happens is when you turn it on, the Apple logo comes up for several seconds then the phone just turns off.

I've tried these tutorials, no dice -
    How to enter iPhone in Recovery Mode | iPhone Recovery Mode | iPhone | iPhoneHeat
    How to enter iPhone in DFU Mode | iPhone DFU Mode | iPhone | iPhoneHeat

When I plug in the USB, the Apple logo appears then I get the USB connect background, with a notice on top saying there is no SIM. A few seconds later the process logo appears and the phone shuts down. iTunes shows no signs of doing anything.

When I follow the recovery mode tutorial, I get to the USB connect screen and after about 2 minutes of holding I give up and let go of the buttons. Once I let go, the USB connect screen stays on for about 3 minutes, then the Apple logo appears and the screen flashes the logo on and off for about 30 seconds. iTunes is oblivious.

When I follow the DFU tutorial, I hold down the home button about 2 minutes before I let go. Phone does nothing at all. Should I hold down sleep and home together for too long, until the Apple logo shows up, but continue holding the home button anyway, the phone stays goes to the USB connect screen and stays on it for as long as I hold home. Once I let go it does the flashing thing just like the recovery results. iTunes remains oblivious.

When I plug the phone into the wall charger, nothing happens. It doesn't show the charging logo. But, when I try turning it on I get to the USB connect background (even though it isn't USB) and I'm able to unlock the phone via slider and get the emergency call screen (currently no sim installed). A message also pops up saying I need to restore the phone (duh). Eventually it just turns off.

So there you go, you know what I know. Any thoughts?
    2009-07-11 04:36 AM
    Sounds like a hardware issue. Possible water damage. Most likely dead.
    2009-07-11 04:46 AM
    I might pry it open and see if the water sensitive stickers have turned pink.
    2009-07-11 05:01 AM
    Theres only 1 water sensor on a 2g....and its at the bottom of the headphone jack, just shine a light into it and look....no need to take it apart for that.

Although, that still doesnt mean 100% that it didnt even if the sensor is still white.
    2009-07-11 05:10 AM
    True, but if it is a junker anyway might as well tread around inside there.

There has been a little change though, not sure if it matters, but now Windows is recognizing a device has been plugged in, but it doesn't know what it is. iTunes still remains oblivious. The phone is also telling me the battery is about to die even though it is plugged in with USB. I use to have an AT&T sim card, maybe if I can find it I'll find something out.
    2009-07-11 05:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD