So... when people come across a foreign website while using Safari... what happens?
    2009-07-25 05:51 PM
    @SB are you going to get a package together anytime soon to do this for us for those of us to lazy to do it ourselves?
    I would do it myself but I am very lazy....
    I have a script done but I haven't tried it yet. Need to test on my 3G
    2009-07-25 06:23 PM
    So... when people come across a foreign website while using Safari... what happens?
    Should be okay... the English set includes all of the special characters like letters with accents, umlauts and the other special stuff that's used in Latin based languages. Now if you regularly go to Japanese or Korean sites... might want to keep those
    2009-07-25 06:25 PM
    Thanks, I've seen great performance increase with this!cannot fine facebook folder with languages though :s
    2009-07-25 06:26 PM
    I have a script done but I haven't tried it yet. Need to test on my 3G
    I'm sure there are plenty of people that would alpha test it for you (but pity help you if you have made the slightest typo )

When it's tested, let us know.

Keep up the good work
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.
    2009-07-25 06:39 PM
    ^ I know what you mean. The last person who wanted to alpha test a jailbreak for me was mad because it didn't work correctly. LMAO. I only let people test now after I have tested on all my devices
    2009-07-25 06:57 PM
    Luckily I only have to deal with users when the product is supposed to work.
    Some people just don't seem to understand the word 'tester' do they?
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.
    2009-07-25 07:00 PM
    ^ Some people think tester means sneak working preview
    2009-07-25 07:03 PM
    ^Most think you have the fully working program with a nice GUI and are just holding it back because you can LOL
    2009-07-25 07:22 PM
    ^ That is exactly what I am doing
    2009-07-25 08:01 PM
    So I SSH into myphone, search for everything with the .lproj thing on it. Can I just delete every single folder with .lproj that isn't English.lproj and be fine? I've done it for every other language in the Applications Folder and in the System folder but there seem to be even more spread around. Should I continue to pick and choose or can I just wipe it all out?
    2009-07-25 08:08 PM
    I removed all but English, UK and Japanese from Safari and it raised my free RAM (after freeing it up with SBSettings) by 6MB. Haven't noticed any speed differences though.

Where are people deleting the files from? I'm working my way through '/private/var/stash/Applications' at the moment.

EDIT: I've done a few more stock apps and now my free RAM levels are almost the same as before I started deleting languages Oh well, I've saved 9MB of space so far, so I'll keep going.

EDIT2: Ok, my idle RAM levels are slightly higher, hovering around 159/160MB at idle, wasn't quite that high before.
    Last edited by Crana; 2009-07-25 at 08:33 PM.
    2009-07-25 08:21 PM
    All this seems to make no difference at all on my 3GS. Maybe it's already fast enough.
    2009-07-25 08:41 PM
    All this seems to make no difference at all on my 3GS. Maybe it's already fast enough.
    I'm struggling to notice a difference either. So far I've done the following:

Not really worth the time it takes
    2009-07-25 09:09 PM
    an easy way to do it, a bit safer also for us Mac users...

in cyberduck, DOUBLE CLICK on the /Applications folder, then click on the "expand" arrow next to each application...

next, in the upper right corner type "lproj" and ONLY the language files will be visible (and the folders there located in)...

in each app's folder, click on the first language file, hold shift, click on the last, RELEASE shift, hold command and click on the languages you want to keep...

rinse and repeat for each app

deleted all the lproj files in less than two minutes this way

BE CAREFUL STILL, those "_coresignature" folders sometimes appeared even after type "lproj" in the search bar...

can anyone tell me where the AppStore downloaded apps are stored? cannot find them to save my life
    2009-07-25 09:56 PM
    Why does anyone need more than 640k of RAM anyway?
    2009-07-25 10:36 PM
    Has anyone tried deleting the language packs out of privateframeworks on 3.0 yet?
    2009-07-26 12:20 AM
    Why does anyone need more than 640k of RAM anyway?
    Lol, you wouldnt even get the thing to turn on
    2009-07-26 12:27 AM
    Has anyone tried deleting the language packs out of privateframeworks on 3.0 yet?
    I deleted everysingle language pack from there that wasn't English and everything has been running fine.
    2009-07-26 12:36 AM
    Lol, you wouldnt even get the thing to turn on
    When I was young (er) it was all about making the most of the 640k and seeing what you could get in to the upper 360k - that was when I was the best. Times chenge. Now I'm just an old man who listens and tries to learn.
    2009-07-26 01:06 AM
477 ... 3111213141523 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD