^No, just make sure they're correct as in 0755; the deletion of language packs may mess this up for some reason...
    Respect your elders.
    2009-07-26 09:24 AM
    Nevermind, figured it out. Ok, here is what I've learned, there is definitely something in the privateframeworks that will mess up your phone if you have a 3GS with 3.0. Haven't figured out out exactly which folder it is yet that you shouldn't get rid of, but I'll let you know when I narrow it down.

Edit - I guess third times the charm. This time through I was able to delete everything with out a problem. My advice though is to make sure you back up your privateframeworks/coretelephony folder, that's the one that had been a problem for me. Twice I deleted the languages inside and rebooted, my phone wouldn't load springboard, just showed nothing on the screen, however, I was still able to connect to ssh the back up I made back on and then reassign the permissions and my phone would be back to working. Not sure why this last time it just decided to work perfectly fine. So like everyone's been suggesting, be sure to back stuff up before you delete.
    Last edited by deathofallthings; 2009-07-26 at 10:11 AM.
    2009-07-26 09:29 AM
    no problems so far and ive opened up every program to make sure they all work You must have deleted something else? When worse comes to worse, just do a restore
    2009-07-26 10:01 AM
    I really could are less about having more than around 165mb....I mean my god....my old 3G runs at around 25mb free, LMAO....so 165mb is ummmm, just a tab better
    I disagree!

My 3GS suffered a slowdown after installing mobile substrate and addons. Even with 165mb free, I would still notice animation lag when opening/closing an app (especially facebook)

I dont notice that anymore! Is it possible these language packs use CPU or something?
    2009-07-26 03:25 PM
    Ive had no issue after deleting private frameworks.
    2009-07-26 05:45 PM
    Is there a shell command that we could run that would move all the languages "except English and Japanese) to a back up area?
    2009-07-27 06:14 AM
    Is there a shell command that we could run that would move all the languages "except English and Japanese) to a back up area?
    None yet but I think SB is working on something. Stay tuned
    2009-07-27 06:18 AM
    can anyone please put a tiny list together of stuff we can delete
    2009-07-27 06:39 AM
    ^I'm currently working on one; a lot of it is thanks to Mes' post on page 16; you should check that out...
    Respect your elders.
    2009-07-27 06:42 AM
    I disagree!

My 3GS suffered a slowdown after installing mobile substrate and addons. Even with 165mb free, I would still notice animation lag when opening/closing an app (especially facebook)

I dont notice that anymore! Is it possible these language packs use CPU or something?
    Yeah that actually has nothing to do with the RAM. At least not in this case.
    2009-07-27 07:13 AM
    ^I'm currently working on one; a lot of it is thanks to Mes' post on page 16; you should check that out...
    Alright man thanks, I'll check it out
    2009-07-27 11:44 AM
    Thank you all For all the support and ideas
    NOW I have finished all the apps through the iphone firmware 3.0
    Did remove all the proj files except english and arabic and french ( I use them

Let me tell you that it really made the apps load faster ( of course loose the functionality of multilanguage
    But as we said several languages are useless if you dont loose them but they take space and memory

I am sure we can all figure out something to do it as a script cause it is really hectic plus sometimes by mistake you remove some other needed files

So any ideas for a script or an app to do this easily ?

Happy modding all

I forgot to mention That I am still going on not only in (Applications ) folder which is safe till now
    I am going through Core system files too and found the same proj files to be deleted

My Iphone Keeps getting faster and lighter in loading and fully functional and I am happy with this improvement

Will keep you posted with this

BTW : Other thing I did already which is very good in improvement of performance especially with People using categories
    Categories Reduce loading time and eats memory a lot
    what I did in my inav theme ( Make a new page shortcut which it called applications , Games ... and each click on it just jumps to the right page ( Exact same need of categories but without eating more memory or loading an application within an application already

There are 3 beautiful pieces of software we are using for this
    1. Xslimmer
    2. Monolingual
    3. iCleanLanguage

Run in that order for optimal results....
    Not only language in MAC OSX But also Arch.. Which means if you are using Intel processor you just remove the powerpc Version and vice versa and this also lighten up the application and make it faster
    Last edited by StallionM5; 2009-07-27 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2009-07-27 03:34 PM
    Ok guys after countless work I have made some sh commands you can run to remove language files from the applications directories.

PLEASE READ CAREFULLLY. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF THIS SCREWS UP YOUR iPHONE USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!! PLEASE BACK UP YOUR APPLICATIONS FOLDER

These scripts will back up your language files (except English and Japanese) and will delete all language files except English and Japanese.

Make Sure you set your iPhone to Never sleep!

Step 1) SSH into your iPhone with root access (puddy is a good windows ssh program)

Step 2) mkdir /private/var/stash/langBackup/

Step 3) cd to your /private/var/stash/Applications.whatever programs dir

Step 4) Copy and paste this into your ssh program and run it:

for file in `find . -type d -name "*.lproj" -not -iname "en*.lproj" -not -iname "ja*.lproj" -exec echo {} \; | sed -e 's/\.\///'`; do tar -rf /private/var/stash/langBackup/langBackup.tar ./$file ; done

This will back your languages in a tar file located here /private/var/stash/langBackup/langBackup.tar PLEASE VERIFY THIS FILE BEFORE DOING THE NEXT STEP. (should be around 10-15 megs)

Step 5)Copy and paste this into your ssh program and run it:

for file in `find . -type d -name "*.lproj" -not -iname "en*.lproj" -not -iname "ja*.lproj" -exec echo {} \; | sed -e 's/\.\///'`; do rm -vr ./$file ; done

This command will delete all language files except English and Japanese.

These scripts can also be run in your /private/var/mobile/Applications dir to remove languages from 3rd party app store apps. Please NOTE: some 3rd party programs are using spaces in their directory names. These scripts will NOT work on those apps. (will not back up them, but also should not delete their language files)
    I have also tried these scripts on /System/Library directory. The back up takes a long time around 15-20 minutes. But deleting is Fast! (carrier bundles, quick time and a few other directories are not backed up/deleted do to spaces in the names)

Please use and modify as you see fit.

Have fun and be careful.

---Update
    I have tried my scripts on the following directories (and their sub directories)
    YouTube.app
    WebSheet.app
    Web.app
    Weather.app
    VoiceServices
    VoiceMemos.app
    TextInput
    SystemConfiguration F
    Stocks.app
    PublishingBundles
    PrivateFrameworks
    Preferences.app
    PreferenceBundles
    Nike.app Folder
    MobileTimer.app
    MobileStore.app
    MobileSMS.app
    MobileSlideShow.app
    MobileSafari.app
    MobilePhone.app
    MobileNotes.app
    MobileMusicPlayer.app
    MobileMail.app
    MobileCal.app
    MobileAddressBook.app
    MemTool.app Folder
    Maps.app Folder
    ManagedConfigurationBundles
    iFile.app
    Frameworks
    Extensions
    Cydia.app Folder
    CoreServices Folder
    Compass.app Folder
    Calculator.app Folder
    AppStore.app Folder
    AccessibilityBundles
    Last edited by peteo; 2009-07-28 at 01:55 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2009-07-28 12:19 AM
    Great work . You're the find, awk, sed, tar geek !!
    2009-07-28 01:08 AM
    Thank you so much, I'm kind of lost on the mkdir in step two, what do you mean? And in step three what does cd to mean? Sorry I'm a noob lol can you post an example of an exact command line so I know where to place my references in, say for safari as an example. I don't understand where to fill in the location info with the command line, thanks.
    2009-07-28 01:55 AM
    Thank you so much, I'm kind of lost on the mkdir in step two, what do you mean? And in step three what does cd to mean? Sorry I'm a noob lol can you post an example of an exact command line so I know where to place my references in, say for safari as an example. I don't understand where to fill in the location info with the command line, thanks.
    If your a noob you might not want to be doing this.
    But anyways,

mkdir is a command (make directory). you ssh into your iPhone,
    type: mkdir /private/var/stash/langBackup/

cd is a command (change directory)
    You need to cd to the directory you want to run the scripts at
    like: cd /private/var/stash/Applications.whatever(change whatever to what your iPhone says)

Then you run the back up script, check the back up, then run the delete script
    2009-07-28 02:07 AM
    Ok not that much of a noob :P but thanks again for the clarification, helps a lot

Just used it and it worked perfectly if I where to use this on a different location then I would simply navigate to that folder and run the script within there?
    If I feel the need to restore these files, how would I go about doing so?
    Thanks again
    Last edited by Burner911; 2009-07-28 at 02:45 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2009-07-28 02:45 AM
    Ok not that much of a noob :P but thanks again for the clarification, helps a lot

Just used it and it worked perfectly if I where to use this on a different location then I would simply navigate to that folder and run the script within there?
    If I feel the need to restore these files, how would I go about doing so?
    Thanks again
    yes, just cd to the directory and run it, it will scan that directory plus its sub directories for *.lproj directories.

The 3 directories I used the scripts on where:
    /private/var/stash/Applications.whatever
    /private/var/mobile/Applications
    /System/Library (this one takes a while to back up)

Clears most of the OS of the unused language files
    2009-07-28 04:23 AM
    FFS.

I was up to 184mb, then decided to install winterboard and the ielegance pro theme.

I decided I didn't like it or the associated slowdown, so uninstalled winterboard. THE PHONE STILL LAGS AND I CANT GET ABOVE 151MB!!??

Any ideas how I can get my 184mb back without doing a restore?
    2009-07-28 05:13 AM
    Ok I've been removing the proj files, all with diff languages in my applications folder and im still sitting at 77MB, nothing has changed...am I doing something wrong
    2009-07-28 08:32 AM
477 ... 61415161718 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD
We have updated our Privacy Policy and Terms & Conditions. Please check them out.