And one more question and statement:
    What does it mean by dry run is it not gonna delete the languages.
    And it takes fooorever to find all of the files.
    Dry Run doesnt delete anything, It just shows you what would have been deleted if it was a real run
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME
    2009-07-28 09:47 PM
    Dry Run doesnt delete anything, It just shows you what would have been deleted if it was a real run
    But I want to delete right?
    So I uncheck the "Dry run - no deletions" box?
    2009-07-28 09:54 PM
    But I want to delete right?
    So I uncheck the "Dry run - no deletions" box?
    Select the directory in which you want to delete the files from
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME
    2009-07-29 12:07 AM
    These scripts will back up your language files (except English and Japanese) and will delete all language files except English and Japanese.

Make Sure you set your iPhone to Never sleep!

Step 1) SSH into your iPhone with root access (puddy is a good windows ssh program)

Step 2) mkdir /private/var/stash/langBackup/

Step 3) cd to your /private/var/stash/Applications.whatever programs dir

Step 4) Copy and paste this into your ssh program and run it:

for file in `find . -type d -name "*.lproj" -not -iname "en*.lproj" -not -iname "ja*.lproj" -exec echo {} ; | sed -e 's/.///'`; do tar -rf /private/var/stash/langBackup/langBackup.tar ./ ; done

This will back your languages in a tar file located here /private/var/stash/langBackup/langBackup.tar PLEASE VERIFY THIS FILE BEFORE DOING THE NEXT STEP. (should be around 10-15 megs)

Step 5)Copy and paste this into your ssh program and run it:

for file in `find . -type d -name "*.lproj" -not -iname "en*.lproj" -not -iname "ja*.lproj" -exec echo {} ; | sed -e 's/.///'`; do rm -vr ./ ; done

This command will delete all language files except English and Japanese.

These scripts can also be run in your /private/var/mobile/Applications dir to remove languages from 3rd party app store apps. Please NOTE: some 3rd party programs are using spaces in their directory names. These scripts will NOT work on those apps. (will not back up them, but also should not delete their language files)
    I have also tried these scripts on /System/Library directory. The back up takes a long time around 15-20 minutes. But deleting is Fast! (carrier bundles, quick time and a few other directories are not backed up/deleted do to spaces in the names)

Please use and modify as you see fit.
    Hey Peteo, thanks for the scripts! I have a few questions though:

1) Is it ok to delete the Japanese language files? I think it should be but just wanted to check with you.
    2) If I want to run the scripts in other directories such as /private/var/mobile/Applications, do I need to create a new directory and modify the scripts accordingly for the backups?
    3) I tried running the backup script without any modifications and came up with a whole list of errors like:

"tar: ./Bang.app/fr.lproj: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
    tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors"

Is that ok?
    4) Is there any way to restore the language files later if I wanted to from the backups? I don't see the need, just curious.
    2009-07-29 08:52 AM
    I felt all brave and decided to delete the carrier bundles I didn't need. (I'm on tmobile USA) but now my tmobile loge is a T followed by ... (T-...) how can I get the carrier bundle back and get my logo back correctly?
    2009-07-29 01:18 PM
    I felt all brave and decided to delete the carrier bundles I didn't need. (I'm on tmobile USA) but now my tmobile loge is a T followed by ... (T-...) how can I get the carrier bundle back and get my logo back correctly?
    The T-... or ?? appears when you don't have a SIM#/and matching folder in the Carrier Bundles folder. I'm assuming you're running 3.0 so yes you can put them back (change permissions/owner), but I don't have 3.0 carrier bundles set. They're probably the same as 2.2.1 (only more), but to be safe you should get the ones for your version. BTW: T-Mobile Germany is the default carrier bundle for 2.2.1. Worst case --- you must restore.
    2009-07-29 03:17 PM
    Create your own bundle at Carrier Bundle Generator iPhone OS 3.0 (ipcc)
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.
    2009-07-29 03:19 PM
    Hey Peteo, thanks for the scripts! I have a few questions though:

1) Is it ok to delete the Japanese language files? I think it should be but just wanted to check with you.
    Yes you just need to remove the
    -not -iname "ja*.lproj"
    code from both scripts
    2) If I want to run the scripts in other directories such as /private/var/mobile/Applications, do I need to create a new directory and modify the scripts accordingly for the backups?
    no, the script will just add the new files to the tar file

3) I tried running the backup script without any modifications and came up with a whole list of errors like:

"tar: ./Bang.app/fr.lproj: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
    tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors"

Is that ok?
    Yeah those errors are ok, The script does not understand directories with spaces. So those files will not be backed up or deleted.

4) Is there any way to restore the language files later if I wanted to from the backups? I don't see the need, just curious.
    yes you copy the Tar file to computer and un compress it and copy the files back over to your iPhone.
    2009-07-29 04:36 PM
    Hey Peteo! Every time I try to run the script I get the error:
    -sh: command substitution: line 1: syntax error near unexpected token `|'
    -sh: command substitution: line 1: `find . -type d -name "*.lproj" -not -iname "ru*.lproj" -not -iname "ja*.lproj" -exec echo {} ; | sed -e 's/.///''
    Can you help, please?
    Last edited by gbirga; 2009-07-29 at 05:44 PM.
    2009-07-29 05:37 PM
    Hey Peteo! Every time I try to run the script I get the error:
    -sh: command substitution: line 1: syntax error near unexpected token `|'
    -sh: command substitution: line 1: `find . -type d -name "*.lproj" -not -iname "ru*.lproj" -not -iname "ja*.lproj" -exec echo {} ; | sed -e 's/.///''
    Can you help, please?
    Mske sure you are copying an pasting the whole command with no blank spaces at the beginning or end

You are missing \; after -exec echo {} it should be -exec echo {} \;
    Last edited by peteo; 2009-07-29 at 06:18 PM.
    2009-07-29 06:16 PM
    thanks, works like a charm.
    I've copied your script from another post ([LIST] Language Packages to Delete on 3.0 :: Increased Performance) where it was quoted and it was incorrect. Worked when I copied it from your original post.
    2009-07-29 06:47 PM
    ^? I copied the post exactly; what's wrong with it?
    Respect your elders.
    2009-07-29 09:59 PM
    Hmmm I have a iPod touch 2g and I just restored and jailbroke I have nothing on it right now and have only installed ssh. Then I deleted the languages except English in every folder I could find that had them. I rebooted and installed free memory then rebooted again. I opened up free memory and it says I only have 38mb free. Is this right?? Should I have more memory free??? Other people have had around 150mb free what device are they on??
    2009-07-30 04:14 PM
    Hmmm I have a iPod touch 2g and I just restored and jailbroke I have nothing on it right now and have only installed ssh. Then I deleted the languages except English in every folder I could find that had them. I rebooted and installed free memory then rebooted again. I opened up free memory and it says I only have 38mb free. Is this right?? Should I have more memory free??? Other people have had around 150mb free what device are they on??
    i have 2G jailbroke and unlocked with redsn0w/Vista.

Cydia programs installed:

Winterboard - modded classica theme
    SBSettings - with theme
    OpenSSH
    MxTube
    Cycorder
    ...maybe some other stuff that has no icon... whatever...

I use SBSettings to close out all my running programs and then hit free memory at the bottom...

I get anywhere from 45-62mb of free RAM. This is without the mod in this thread. I am waiting on the Cydia release.

tim

EDIT: the guys with 150mb+ free are those using the 3GS. Our little 2G's will not reach even half that. 77mb free is the most I've seen... and that was on a 3G.
    2009-07-30 04:29 PM
    People who have 150 have an iPhone 3gs which comes with twice the ram (256mb) of the older iPhones and iPod touches (128mb)
    38 is around the standard after a reboot. Most people are reporting around 50-60 on older iPhones after doing the language delete. Have not see any posts about what effects this has on the iPod touch, your the first I believe.
    2009-07-30 04:29 PM
    This... is .... quite... interesting...

i shall follow.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AAAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHackcoughcough ech... thput..... ......That hurt.
    Don't forget to say THANKS!

J.D.
    2009-07-31 06:13 AM
    2009-07-31 06:23 AM
    what... you don't like my impression of evil scientist?! bahh... kids today.
    Don't forget to say THANKS!

J.D.
    2009-07-31 06:26 AM
    what... you don't like my impression of evil scientist?! bahh... kids today.
    It was the follow part that confused me I lol @ the evil scientist. Kids? I haven't been called that in 53 years
    2009-07-31 06:31 AM
    ^? I copied the post exactly; what's wrong with it?
    I dunno, the scripts are different:
    original - for file in `find . -type d -name "*.lproj" -not -iname "en*.lproj" -not -iname "ja*.lproj" -exec echo {} \; | sed -e 's/\.\///'`; do rm -vr ./$file ; done

in your post - for file in `find . -type d -name "*.lproj" -not -iname "en*.lproj" -not -iname "ja*.lproj" -exec echo {} ; | sed -e 's/.///'`; do rm -vr ./ ; done

I guess it's a forum glitch...
    2009-07-31 07:06 AM
477 ... 81617181920 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD