Hopefully I can post this here. If it's in the wrong forum then maybe a mod could please move it to the correct one?

This is partly my welcome thread, even though I didnt see you had a section for that I wanted to introduce myself. I also wanted to brag a bit and show off my work. But mostly I just wanna get familiar here so I can learn new mods and customizations.

My first ever Apple device, never researched it before I ended up winning it in a contest at work recently. I've had this for just a couple weeks now and have learned a lot about the iPod/iPhone, modifications and community.

I've installed Cydia, Terminal, OpenSSH, Winterboard, SBsettings, Backgrounder, Installo.us, Fontswap, 85 games, Categories, LiveClock, etc, etc. I've also made and installed custom themes, icons and fonts using ssh to browse the file system.

Thanks everyone.

Before you say anything about the girl games, I share this with my girlfriend.

I shot a little 2min video so that you could see everything in action. Nothing big but I wanted to have proof that my screenshots were real.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-dvOge5EmE"]YouTube - Custom iPod Touch 2G v3.0 16GB[/ame]
    Last edited by Apache0c; 2009-07-23 at 09:08 PM.
    "On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero" - Tyler Durden
    2009-07-23 09:10 AM
    Looks cool man. Welcome to MMi!
    2009-07-23 09:15 AM
    Thanks man, I appreciate it. I'm glad to be here and ready to learn more.
    "On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero" - Tyler Durden
    2009-07-23 09:08 PM

Nice theme my friend, good job.
    Glad your here, enjoy.
    2009-07-23 09:20 PM
    Thanks, much appreciated. I know where to come when I have questions. Looking forward to finding new ways to use this device.
    2009-07-23 10:24 PM
    Ok, I have a question. I used sudo su to log in as root and passwd to change my ssh root password and that worked. I know it worked because I cant use 'alpine' to log into ssh, I have to use my new root password.

But I also ran this command first 'openssl passwd -crypt -salt /s [password]' And I got the idea to do that from here: A friendly reminder from CrunchGear to all iPhone users
    It gave me the encrypted number like the guide says but I didnt do anything with it further after that.

Can anyone explain to me what that openssl command did?
    2009-07-29 06:31 AM
    Nice job, welcome to MMi.
    2009-07-29 06:35 AM
    That command is actually used to change your password. Since you entered your current password it didnt actually do anything.

Its a good idea the change the password so someone "lurking" around cant log into your phone via SSH with default login credentials.

Welcome to MMi.
    2009-07-29 06:39 AM
    Hi and welcome
    2009-07-29 07:05 AM
    Thanks for the warm welcome folks.

That command is actually used to change your password. Since you entered your current password it didnt actually do anything.

Its a good idea the change the password so someone "lurking" around cant log into your phone via SSH with default login credentials.

Welcome to MMi.
    Well, re-read my post real fast. I changed my ssh root password without any issues, and it works.
    My question was about that pearl openssl command...
    2009-07-31 05:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD