Hi,

im looking for some advice with this matter.

ive been buying some iPhones on ebay that need repair and reselling them.

i came across an auction Tha said:

"Apple iPhone 2G 16gb "For parts or repair"

it had all the apple specs on the listing that ebay provides...it had pictures that looked like a real iPhone

in the description the seller stats: "that it is a non-working apple iphone 2g 16gb in very good condition with no water damage . it appears that 2 wires have disconnected from the battery"

i paid using paypal and in the paypal the seller stats again: "here is a request for payment for a non-working Apple iPhone 2g"

so today i received the iPhone and its a fake ....i cant believe there are people out there like this....

so i have contacted the seller and i have opened a paypal dispute stating that the item is a fake and im waiting for there decision

Has anyone come across a similar situation?
    do anyone think paypal will refund my money?
    They say they have buyer protection for things like this....
    the seller clearly states its a Apple iPhone 2G

Here are some photos of the fake
    youll notice the back cover slides off and a battery is removable

its alittle funny to me, its the first time i have ever got scammed
    Attached Thumbnails Got Scamed on Ebay Need Advice-img_0053.jpg   Got Scamed on Ebay Need Advice-img_0054.jpg  
    If I Helped You Hit The Thanks Button
    2009-07-27 11:23 PM
    You pretty much said it yourself. They have buyer protection and Paypal disputes just in case this happens. You'll have to go through the process but you should be fine.
    2009-07-27 11:26 PM
    Paypal dispute center will take care of it. You won't have to pay for it. They will go after the guy who sold it to you.
    2009-07-27 11:29 PM
    You pretty much said it yourself. They have buyer protection and Paypal disputes just in case this happens. You'll have to go through the process but you should be fine.
    Paypal dispute center will take care of it. You won't have to pay for it. They will go after the guy who sold it to you.
    Thank you for your quick responses

i really appreciate it
    2009-07-28 12:38 AM
    Well there are a few requirements to having the protection. Check the site to see em. But most likely aside from some hassle you should be ok.

I bought a pair of Oakleys from ebay from a seller that had over 1000 feedback 100% a few weeks back.....had pics and all.

When I got em they were "Foakley's" if ya know what I mean. He had an ebay store and thats all he sold. I emailed him pissed and within 30 minutes he had refunded my money no questions asked. Obviously he knew they were fake. He asked me to mail em back.........dont think so partner, you tried to screw me, im not paying for shipping back - there still sitting here. He hasnt said crap cause he'd just get himself in more crap.
    2009-07-28 12:39 AM
    Paypal ALWAYS slants towards the buyers, it causes some sellers to get "crossed" over. That's how much they favor the buyer. It's the same reason eBay popularity is constantly going down.
    2009-07-28 01:50 AM
    ^+1.

I have gotten screwed over by paypal as a seller
    2009-07-28 02:20 AM
    ^^ totally agree, paypal will protect you.
    2009-07-28 02:31 AM
    Thank you everyone for the replys
    2009-07-28 03:44 AM
    I was also scammed into buying a faked iPod nano before. It looks exactly like the real thing but it is not from Apple. I got a local Apple repair centre to issue a certificate saying that it is a faked, and ebay refunded me the money less some admin cost. If I recall correctly I end up losing about 40+ AUD for the admin cost.
    2009-07-28 07:02 AM
    I like how they now hold the money till they can prove it was recieved or a positive feedback is posted. It only holds it for about 21 days or so but still gives you time to follow with a dispute. I wish you luck in this. I got burned a few times back in the day, only one of the times I recived my money back.

To bad you can't boot up and see how weird the interface looks. Wired posted a iPhoney that they bought on purpose to show how the fakes are shaping up now.
    2009-07-28 07:11 AM
    To bad you can't boot up and see how weird the interface looks. Wired posted a iPhoney that they bought on purpose to show how the fakes are shaping up now.
    this one is so fake it doesnt even have a power button....i dont even think it can power up....but who knows
    2009-07-28 09:10 AM
    Well there are a few requirements to having the protection. Check the site to see em. But most likely aside from some hassle you should be ok.

I bought a pair of Oakleys from ebay from a seller that had over 1000 feedback 100% a few weeks back.....had pics and all.

When I got em they were "Foakley's" if ya know what I mean. He had an ebay store and thats all he sold. I emailed him pissed and within 30 minutes he had refunded my money no questions asked. Obviously he knew they were fake. He asked me to mail em back.........dont think so partner, you tried to screw me, im not paying for shipping back - there still sitting here. He hasnt said crap cause he'd just get himself in more crap.
    +1 I purchased some pretty pricey headphones a while back, stated "like new" in the auction. turns out the box was im guessing opened before and used the headphones would work but at times cut out if you wiggle the wire. emailed the seller he never responded. until i disputed with paypal got my money back, then he wanted his headphones back. no sirree bob u dont send me covered shipping costs im keeping them. and they work all right overall cut out once in a long shot i use them still. LOL
    2009-07-28 09:22 AM
    go the paypal route

you want alternative ideas, pm me. i have results lols.
    2009-07-28 10:15 AM
    Paypal ALWAYS slants towards the buyers, it causes some sellers to get "crossed" over. That's how much they favor the buyer. It's the same reason eBay popularity is constantly going down.
    Paypal is alwase the favor of the buyer you will get your money 10000%%% :>
    2009-07-28 02:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD