Hello everyone. I've searched pretty much all day for a solution to my problem, so I'm finally trying this out. I will try and be as detailed as possible without writing a novel.

I'm trying to get my work email on this phone, I don't know if I should be going through Microsoft Exchange or a different way. I just recently got an iPhone from a friend and I Jailbroke and unlocked it today. It's a first generation 2g running on 3.0 FW. I have been successful in getting my Gmail and AOL accounts to work, but I am having trouble with my work email, which I believe is an exchange server and I access it through outlook. I am able to go into Outlook Web Access and access my email, but I want to be notified like a regular mailbox and not have to go in there and check it every so often.

I am not totally clueless about what I'm doing here, as I was able to do the Jailbreaking and Unlocking, but I'm trying to figure out which server type we have and how to correctly type everything where it should be. I've tried going into the "add new account" and adding, Microsoft Exchange and I've also tried adding a POP and IMAP account, which I was unsuccessful in doing. I've also tried syncing with iTunes... I got my contacts, calendars, etc., but no such luck with email. I'm thinking that maybe I am not typing the correct things, or maybe that it just isn't possible to do this on a Jailbroken Phone or even just an iPhone in general.

I have a Blackberry Data Plan with T-Mobile and for my Blackberry I would sign into T-Mobile and add/change email accounts there. All I had to do was type in my email, password, and I think check a box that said Microsoft Exchange, nothing else. I tried to do the same thing, but T-Mobiles website will not allow me to mess with my "email accounts" at this time. Who knows?

Basically, I need to have email on my iPhone for work and if I can't get it to work, I will have to stick with my Blackberry (uugghh). I would really appreciate any help on this! Please let me know if you need any clarification as far as my wording... It's been a long day and I know this could sound a little better. HA! If for any reason you need my email it's [email protected]

Thanks soooooo much in advance!

Katie
    xoxxoxoxoxo!!
    2009-07-29 12:03 AM
    I'll try to help, although there are a lot of unknown variables. First, your network admin must enable Exchange Active Sync on the server. Mine won't, so i'm outta luck. Then your settings would be something like:

Email: [email protected] (your work email address)
    Server: mail.somewhere.com (usually what you type to get your web access, but not always)
    User Name: your user name
    Password: your password
    Description: "Work Email" (or whatever you want to call it)
    Use SSL: Usually "On" (but not always)

As I said, my network admin won't turn on Exchange Active Sync, so im SOL. BUT there may be a work around for you...

Your GMail account can import your work email. Then send it to your phone.

Log in to your GMail, go to settings, Look for "Get mail from other accounts". Read the "Learn more" then click the "Add a mail account you own"

That's how I had to do it. Hope this helps.
    2009-07-29 01:23 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD