I got a text about a week ago about my data usage saying it was to high.

Today i recieved a letter in the post (attached)

Please also see thr screenshot for the amount of data i have used (since i restored last over a month ago)

Looks like they are really pushing their 15 a month tethering bolt on.

O2'S T&C STATE:

"There is no limit on the monthly network usage. However if we feel that your activities are so excessive that other customers are detrimentally affected, we may give you a written warning (by email or otherwise). In extreme circumstances, if the levels of activity do not immediately decrease after the warning, we may terminate or suspend your Services."

If they 349MB of data in over a month is 'detrimentally' affecting other customers then they should be beefing up their data network.

But then again if i pay another 15 every month with a 3GB limit (even though i currently have 'unlimited') everything will be OK.

Thanks O2. Thanks allot.
    Attached Thumbnails Data Usage: Letter from O2 UK-photo.jpg   Data Usage: Letter from O2 UK-photo-2.jpg  
    Last edited by reeko; 2009-08-15 at 12:08 PM.
    The Original Autobot of MMi
    Jesus couldn't turn into a fire engine

LOL -> "Winterboard does not interfere at all with my performance."

Suck it up, Sucker
    2009-08-15 12:04 PM
    if you were previously paying for an "unlimited" plan< and they never mentioned anything about overages, id *****, *****, then ***** some more. those 15 pounds could be used for something else, monthly.
    The only thing I ask in return for helping, is that you click the thanks button, Thanks!
    2009-08-15 12:15 PM
    Exactly. I've always used allot of data but it's only now they have a tethering option that my data usage is a problem.

349MB in over a month can't honestly affect their network that much surely?!

And my second point is this whole 'unlimited' thing. Unlimited to me means:

unlimited - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

How do mobile carriers get away with using this term with regards to data/calls/texts and get away with it? 349MB is NOT unlimited

Suck it up, Sucker
    2009-08-15 12:23 PM
    Exactly. I've always used allot of data but it's only now they have a tethering option that my data usage is a problem.

349MB in over a month can't honestly affect their network that much surely?!

And my second point is this whole 'unlimited' thing. Unlimited to me means:

unlimited - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

How do mobile carriers get away with using this term with regards to data/calls/texts and get away with it? 349MB is NOT unlimited
    companies in america get really jumpy once you mention bringing an attorney into the picture, i don't know if it would work in europe, but i'd give it a try lol.

On a more serious approach though, if they are going to charge you more, i'd have them PROVE that you were in fact using to much data, and in fact other customers are effected. I could understand if you were downloading movies and such from your phone, i've downloaded over 2-3 g/b's over my internet from my phone, and i'm on a unlimited $5.99 data from from tmobile, and they've never even said anything. In fact i did get ONE email, saying that they've noticed i use alot of data, and they were recommended to a "pro" package, which was "faster", but it was 24.99...

With 32 g/b's of space, and the ability to download anything, at any given time, no matter where i am, I could easily download over 10 g/b in one month. And thats strictly phone usage, i could only imagine if i were using internet tethering on my notebook.
    The only thing I ask in return for helping, is that you click the thanks button, Thanks!
    2009-08-15 12:43 PM
    Orange have always had very low Data limits.
    Vodafone give everyone 500Mb / month free
    T-Mobile have 1Gb limit on plans that don't have tethering and 3gb on the one that does (5Gb if you have VoIP as well)

I don't use tethering and since I reset my statistics on 20/7 I have used 691Mb - luckily I'm on T-Mobile (and have tethering, my total monthly bill is <21/month).

The iPhone is data connected but the only UK carrier that has done any sort of research into how much data people actually use is T-Mobile who have consistently upped their limits with technology changes - you would have to have exceptional usage to exceed their limit and only if you do so two consecutive months will they suggest a different plan.

394Mb in one month on an iPhone is certainly not excessive. The ASA has consistently refused to haul people up on the use of the word 'unlimited' and accepted limits, but you can point out that even Vodafone give 500Mb and that's on phones that aren't supposed to be connected all the time.

I was wondering where O2 would set the bar - I didn't think it would be this low!
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.
    2009-08-15 12:48 PM
    Exactly what i thought.

For the record, i tethered after restoring to check it worked but have never tethered since, so my 3G usage is purely from slingplayer and the normal stuff (email etc etc.)

Im gonna call their bluff and keep pushing until they cut me off and then kick up a real stink about it. 394MB on a phone that is connected to the internet consistently is not unreasonable and is not affecting their network.

Anyone know if there is a limit to their unlimited? Like a fair use limit cause i cant find one anywhere

Suck it up, Sucker
    2009-08-15 02:14 PM
    I had mine tethered up to my PC a while back while I was waiting for my ISP to install my broadband. I clocked up 2GB in 2 weeks, and I havent had anything from them. And that was all the way back in March too!
    2009-08-15 02:32 PM
    I hate the limits on unlimited plans
    2009-08-15 10:19 PM
    I hate the limits on unlimited plans
    Whats your thoughts on it?, Do you think he should just accept the extra charges, or should he fight for his "unlimited" plans.

I'd fight, only because when first signing up, i'm sure they company surely said unlimited, just because you are taking advantage of this, doesn't make it your fault. It should be the companies, if you are going to say unlimited data, your servers should be able to handle a g/b or two of data, from every customer. under 500 mb is unexceptable, especially if they offer a "3g" or high speed service.
    2009-08-15 10:30 PM
    ^ I agree. 349 MB is nothing. Of course he should fight it.
    2009-08-15 10:33 PM
    From O2's FUP
    "There is no limit on the monthly network usage. However if we feel that your activities are so excessive that other customers are detrimentally affected, we may give you a written warning (by email or otherwise). In extreme circumstances, if the levels of activity do not immediately decrease after the warning, we may terminate or suspend your Services."
    I believe that 384 is very low (I have been using well over 500Mb/month for the past few years) but O2's network is pathetically inadequate and Oftel are so toothless users have very little recourse.

I would certainly write to them and explain why I thought they were wrong, but I'm not sure that anything can be done.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.
    2009-08-15 11:52 PM
    At the moment i think they are bluffing trying to push me onto the extra 15 a month.

Im going to continue as i am for now but if they cut me off then it's a whole different board game and i'll be kicking up a real fuss.

All iphone contracts are premium contracts and for what i + every other iphone contract owner pays we deserve a truly unlimited data plan. This is just pure robbery.

Cheers for your input, ill keep this updated if anything else happens.

Suck it up, Sucker
    2009-08-16 07:01 AM
    From O2's FUP

I believe that 384 is very low (I have been using well over 500Mb/month for the past few years) but O2's network is pathetically inadequate and Oftel are so toothless users have very little recourse.

I would certainly write to them and explain why I thought they were wrong, but I'm not sure that anything can be done.
    Of course something can be done.

if reeko was forced into paying an extra 15, They better take 20 off the next bill.

If your contract with them is up, just threaten to leave the company, Sh*& if my contract was up, i'd unlock my phone and just use it somewhere else anyways, if my company tried to fu*# me over like that, I wouldn't give them the pleasure of me signing over a check to them.
    2009-08-16 07:17 AM
    lol wtf? I wonder if that's even legal. if you have an UNLIMITED plan, they can't charge you extra for using unlimited internet, that's bullcrap.

never give them anything. if they cut you off sue them o.O wtf
    2009-08-16 11:28 AM
    Ye thats what im thinking.

I guess AT&T will try this aswell as soon as they actually have a tethering option :/

My contract is up in a couple of months anyway so ....

Suck it up, Sucker
    2009-08-16 11:43 AM
    I got a text last week from o2 saying I had exceeded my data allowance and needed to cut down or pay for the bigger package. In two years of using iphones on their simplicity sim only package (12 per month plus 7.50 unlimited data bolt on) this is the first time I had encountered this. I do tether a bit, but not a huge amount and a lare portion of the time I'm in a WiFi area anyway. I was slightly more miffed because I had spent 150 on calls and data while in Boston, MA for a week - so it seemed really cheap of them to whine about data after that (plus they had 150 off me last month because my other half can't stop talking on her damn phone the silly mare - swear she rings people up who are stood next to her - changed her plan yet again). So I fired off a customer service complaint and got back this answer.

I would like to inform you that the fair usage policy for O2 Web Bolt On is 200mb per day.

If you staysbelow 250MB per month then we will take no action.

If you're using between 250MB and 500MB per month then we will send a warning text message along the lines of: "O2:You've exceeded your data allowance of 200MB. If you continue to exceed your allowance the bundle will be removed."

If you go over 500MB then you'll receive an outbound call proposing that you switch to O2 Web Max (3GB per month product) or we will remove GPRS access if you have exceeded 500MB for 2 consecutive months and do not move to O2 Web Max.

If you use continue streaming of any audio / video content, enable P2P or file sharing or use them in such a way that adversely impacts the service to other O2 customers. If O2 reasonably suspect you're not acting in accordance with this policy O2 reserves the right to impose further charges or disconnect your tariff at any time.

I'm sorry but this policy of fair usage is not mentioned in our terms and conditions.

I'm sorry but I'm unable to comment on the deals offered by other Service Providers.

Hope I've helped you and it resolves your query. You're a valued customer and we look forward to give you the best service in the industry.

Important - When you email us please provide: your date of birth, postcode and mobile number as it helps us answer your query faster.

Minal
    O2 Customer Service
    Which at least gives a target area to aim at, I'm going to reset my usuage stats on my billing day and then I can monitor my usage myself.
    iPhone 5s 64gb iOS 7
    rMBP 15" 16gb 500gb
    @c0ff33a and @PhoneMainiac
    2009-10-21 03:34 PM
    Last month I got a text with 3 days to go saying I'd used 80% of my allowance and hadn't tethered at all.
    This month I got the same text with 13 days still to go - but I have been tethering as my BroadBand is out of action.
    My limit is 3Gb a month.
    But I'm with T-Mobile.
    Even on WinMo I was using 7-800Mb per month.
    500Mb/month is not a lot at all.
    2009-10-21 03:44 PM
    Worst thing is actually they are saying 250mb is your limit, but you can get upto 500mb before they force you onto another plan. No wonder Apple is opening up to other networks if o2 doesn't have the data capacity to feed the ever hungry iPhone demand.

I'm still in converse with customer support over this, first because I am positive I didn't use that much data (I reset the usage meter five days ago and at the moment I am averaging 2 mb a day, they somehow think I used 250mb in 3 days after getting back from America)but more annoying is the fact they seem to not give a toss about the amount of money I spent with them last month and this month enough to maybe be "leniant" about the data to keep me happy - which is fair enough Simplicity isn't a contract it's month only so I'll quite happily port to someone else and T-Mobile sounds like a good deal.
    iPhone 5s 64gb iOS 7
    rMBP 15" 16gb 500gb
    @c0ff33a and @PhoneMainiac
    2009-10-21 10:40 PM
    T-Mobile are the only UK provider with sensible data plans - but be careful - you need W'n'W Plus to get HSDPA speed - free and basic are 3G only
    2009-10-21 11:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD
We have updated our Privacy Policy and Terms & Conditions. Please check them out.