This question is probably asked all the time, but can you not use the full mp3 (obviously after conversion) as a ringtone instead of just a 40 second snippet?

You use to be able to on the 2G...
    2009-08-18 12:00 PM
    no you were not able to on the 2G, not without the hack I will describe now. it is possible on all iphones nontheless.
    in itunes, right-click your song, then select "convert to AAC". right-click the new entry, select "open in finder/windows explorer." take the .m4a file, rename it to .m4r then upload it to your iphone in /private/var/stash/Ringtones.XXX/ via SSH and there you go :-)
    2009-08-18 12:31 PM
    You had to also patch the 2G too, I tried that exact thing earlier and it didnt work, it recognized it but didn't play....
    2009-08-18 01:21 PM
    You had to also patch the 2G too, I tried that exact thing earlier and it didnt work, it recognized it but didn't play....
    it should. are you sure you converted it to AAC? it works fine on my 3GS with 3.0.1. I just copied it to that location, then it was listed in my "default" ringtones and they are playing fine. and you have to rename them to .m4r, that's important as well, but I guess you know that. try another song maybe, maybe there is something wrong with the file.
    2009-08-18 01:39 PM
    Will I have to delete one of the other ringtones for it to work or can I still just add it
    2009-08-18 01:58 PM
    You can't hear more than 30 seconds of a ringtone anyway. Your voicemail will pick up after that, so why make a 3 minute ringtone?
    2009-08-18 02:04 PM
    My voicemail isn't turned on...

I tried that again and still nothing anything in particular I need to make sure of eg size?

Also does the phone browser make a difference, I am using Iphone Browser atm... What is the best one?
    2009-08-18 02:07 PM
    voicemail sucks anyway
    I can't say, I tried a couple of songs and they all worked fine. Have you tried different songs?
    I am using WinSCP (windows) and cyberduck (mac) to copy stuff to my iphone, they work great.
    2009-08-18 02:11 PM
    And you would want to listen to an entire song instead of answering your phone? How would you like to be in a resturant sitting next to some fools doing this? Letting their phones ring for 3 -4 minutes. Yea, that makes since...
    2009-08-18 02:18 PM
    And you would want to listen to an entire song instead of answering your phone? How would you like to be in a resturant sitting next to some fools doing this? Letting their phones ring for 3 -4 minutes. Yea, that makes since...
    no, but that's not the point. the point is that
    a) I have less trouble because I don't have to cut my songs to a 30 second piece
    b) it sounds nicer if I ever listen to more than 30 seconds
    2009-08-18 02:22 PM
    My mate has his custom tones and it cuts straight in and it sounds stupid

I thought I would just let you know, I have it going now. Thanks BlackWolf, just needed to restart the phone lol
    Last edited by jaysta07; 2009-08-18 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2009-08-18 08:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD