User Tag List

Hi

I would appreciate any help from regular users.

Just got my iPhone 3G. Connected it to iTunes and it updated my Firmware to 3.0.1. Went to a local mobile shop had it jailbroken and also unlocked (for 20) from network so that it can be used with my SIM from different network (o2 in UK).

All worked well and then i thought I will use some of the apps that have been recommended on websites such as this. So installed BOSSPREF through Cydia and the installation failed. Tried to install it through ICY and it installed fine.

Ran BossPref and was just looking through the options and accidently touched the POWER OFF option. The phone seemed to switch itself off and the screen went blank/black.

So tried to switch the phone ON again but all it does is to display the Apple logo and the screen goes blank.black again and nothing happens. The phone will not switch back on again!!!

Any assistance in getting the phone to work will be much appreciated. I suppose I can try to restore it via iTunes but that would mean that I will once again have to JailBreak the iphone and also get it unlocked so that it can be used with different networks. I would like to avoid this as it would again cost 20, having just spent that today already.

Many thanks in advance for any feedback.

PJ
    2009-08-23 01:07 AM
    mh, seems like only a restore will help you.

but honestly, you don't need to spend money on these things. even with very mediocre computer skills you can do it yourself. it's just reading carefully and clicking a few times. great tutorials are:
    iClarified - iPhone - How to Jailbreak Your iPhone 3G on OS 3.0.x Using RedSn0w (Windows)
    iClarified - iPhone - How to Unlock the iPhone 3G, 3GS Using UltraSn0w

Only thing you really need to be careful with is: in itunes, select the 3.0.1 firmware. in redsn0w, you need to select the 3.0 firmware even though your phone is running 3.0.1.

it's really simple actually and you can't really damage your phone even if it takes you a few tries to get it right.

I wouldn't visit the same shop as you did last time anyway since it seems they didn't do a very good job. bossprefs should install just fine from cydia and not cause these kind of issues.
    2009-08-23 01:28 AM
    Agree in principle with BlackWolf...but, how would you be able to restore if the iPhone is completely black??

If you can't restore just go to the Apple store and have it replaced - they will not be able to see that the phone was tampered with if it does not turn on. And if they manage to spark some life in to it - well it is a win-win anyway 4 u.

Thereafter follow the instructions by BlackWolf as an iPhone really is better described as a small PC/MAC with phone capability.....hence prone to stalling/crashing every once so often..
    Do hope that helps

**uoʇʇnq sʞuɐɥʇ ǝɥʇ ʇıɥ puɐ puıʞ ǝq noʎ pǝdןǝɥ sɐɥ ǝuoǝɯos ɟı**

2009-08-23 01:44 AM
    Agree in principle with BlackWolf...but, how would you be able to restore if the iPhone is completely black??

If you can't restore just go to the Apple store and have it replaced - they will not be able to see that the phone was tampered with if it does not turn on. And if they manage to spark some life in to it - well it is a win-win anyway 4 u.

Thereafter follow the instructions by BlackWolf as an iPhone really is better described as a small PC/MAC with phone capability.....hence prone to stalling/crashing every once so often..
    havn't thought of that. but since the apple logo appears a restore should be possible by going into restore or dfu mode. plenty of tutorials for that by searching google.
    2009-08-23 02:19 AM
    Thanks guys.

I did try to jailbreak it myself b4 taking it to the shop but redsn0w always hung at "awaiting reboot" screen. So thought i was doing something wrong.

But my needs are to keep the phone unlocked too in addition to jailbroken. Can I attempt that myself and what would I need?
    2009-08-23 05:02 AM
    Thanks guys.

I did try to jailbreak it myself b4 taking it to the shop but redsn0w always hung at "awaiting reboot" screen. So thought i was doing something wrong.

But my needs are to keep the phone unlocked too in addition to jailbroken. Can I attempt that myself and what would I need?
    unlocking is much easier than jailbreaking actually. you just need to install ultrasn0w from cydia and you are done. it's in the unlocking tutorial I posted earlier.

are you sure you did everything redsnow asked you to? also, when it says it's waiting to reboot this might take some time (10 minutes or so?) so be sure you let your device do it's job, don't disconnect it and nothing.

also: make sure you are not connecting the iphone through a usb hub or connecting it to the usb ports on your keyboard or anything. you have to plug it directly in your computer.

normally, redsn0w works flewlessly. try again, I'm sure it'll work. if everything failes you might want to try another computer if you can.
    2009-08-23 10:34 AM
    Thanks guys.

This is usually caused by people using the wrong ipsw file(if you've only ever hooked up YOUR phone and not any other phones or iPods then don't worry about it)
    3G should start with iPhone1,2

And if it is the right ipsw file, then just unplug the cord from the computer and plug it right back in and it should take you past the reboot screen I know it sounds silly but it works.
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something
    2009-08-23 10:41 AM
    Right gonna give it a try...see what happens.

Will let u know..

OK...I dont know whats going wrong. Followed the procedure and all goes well until the phone is put in to DFU mode. Redsn0w recognises it and it starts to do things. Then the redsn0w screen just shows Waiting for Reboot and nothing happens. I have waited for almost 15minutes waiting for something to happen but nothing.

I've tried different USB ports on my laptop and the same result.

One thing I did notice was that after the phone is in DFU mode, Windows does show a message to say this device can perform faster with a USB 2.0 port. However, all the USB ports on the laptop are USB 2.0!!

Please assist.

Thanks
    Last edited by panjabijutt; 2009-08-23 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2009-08-23 11:44 AM
    Right gonna give it a try...see what happens.

Will let u know..

OK...I dont know whats going wrong. Followed the procedure and all goes well until the phone is put in to DFU mode. Redsn0w recognises it and it starts to do things. Then the redsn0w screen just shows Waiting for Reboot and nothing happens. I have waited for almost 15minutes waiting for something to happen but nothing.

I've tried different USB ports on my laptop and the same result.

One thing I did notice was that after the phone is in DFU mode, Windows does show a message to say this device can perform faster with a USB 2.0 port. However, all the USB ports on the laptop are USB 2.0!!

Please assist.

Thanks
    the message is normal. in dfu mode, the iphone only supports usb1 as far as I know.
    are you sure you used the correct IPSW files? they have to be named iPhone1,2.... NOT 1,1 or 2,1.
    have you tried plugging the phone out and in when it says waiting for reboot. does the phone do anything while you wait?
    does the phone show a "connect to itunes" symbol or a blank screen? because blank screen = dfu mode, which is wrong. you need to enter restore mode which means it should show a connect to itunes symbol.
    if possible, try another computer.
    2009-08-23 12:26 PM
    @BlackWolf

Thanks for the reply.

The screen stays blank. Nothing comes on at all. No connect to itunes comes on at all.

I'm sure I am using the correct firmware file it is version 3.0 instead of 3.0.1. I have tried unplugging and plugging the phone while waiting for reboot is being displayed.

I've tried my laptop and my Desktop. Laptop is running vista and desktop is running XP Home. Same result.

OK...tried something different but have a different problem...maybe it is linked.

While Redsn0w was displaying Waiting to reboot, I started itunes and it said that the phone was in recovery mode and went about its business with restoring, at this time redsn0w moved on and finished what it was doing. Now the iphone just displays connect to itunes screen and itunes tells me that it is in recovery mode and i need to restore it.

But if i restore, surely i will end up running redsn0w again to jailbreak it. Catch 22.....
    Last edited by panjabijutt; 2009-08-23 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2009-08-23 01:15 PM
    if your screen stays blank than you didn't go into recovery mode but in dfu mode, which is why redsnow won't finish.

you must restore via itunes now, after that run redsnow again. redsnow gives you a pretty good tutorial on how to go into recovery mode, make sure you follow it exactly. alternatively, you can follow one of the many tutorials, for example:
    http://www.iphoneheat.com/2009/04/ho...recovery-mode/

it's really important your screen is not blank (black) but shows the itunes logo.
    2009-08-23 04:29 PM
    Did you just completely ignore my post?
    It holds the answer to your reboot problem.
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something
    2009-08-23 04:48 PM
    Did you just completely ignore my post?
    It holds the answer to your reboot problem.
    No Angie...I did not ignore your post. I did disconnect and re-connect the iphone while waiting for reboot was shown.

Guys, I have tried it so many times that I can do the whole procedure with my eyes closed now. I really dont know what else to do and what the problem is.

I have restored the software countless times using iTunes. I have followed the instructions laid down the links you have posted similarly, to the letter. I have downloaded the IPSW version 3.0 and 3.0.1 many times thinking something might have gone wrong in the download. Each and everytime, Redsn0w goes through the 1st stage and the second stage. then the message waiting for reboot comes up and thats where it stays. I have even tried choosing ICy instead of cydia to be installed in Redsn0w 0.8.....still the same result.

The only time I have managed to get past the waiting for reboot stage is if I start iTunes at that stage and tell it restore, as it detects an iphone in restore mode (it should be in DFU mode obviously as Redsn0w is still running). Then iTunes reboots the phone and Redsn0w completes its jailbreaking and comes up with the message that jailbreaking is complete. However, by now iTunes has started to restore the phone again!!!! So i end up at square one again.

Obviously it is something that stops the phone from rebooting.

At that stage the screen is totally blank. The connect to itunes screen is ON at the begining before I turn the phone off as per redsn0w, it does not come ON again until the phone hangs.

The phone has never been activated before with O2, could this be an issue? But then again, when the guy in the shop managed to do it yesterday it worked, until I powered Off in Bosspref.

I know to you guys it may be straightforward process as I appreciate it should be. I cant even say that I am a newbie to this or computing in general but I'm lost as to what may be going wrong here. This is my first iPhone and I was really looking forward to enjoying it.

Once again thanks in advance for all your help.
    2009-08-23 07:51 PM
    i didnt read any of the above posts but anyway why not use sbsettings
    2009-08-23 09:01 PM
    No Angie...I did not ignore your post. I did disconnect and re-connect the iphone while waiting for reboot was shown.

Guys, I have tried it so many times that I can do the whole procedure with my eyes closed now. I really dont know what else to do and what the problem is.

I have restored the software countless times using iTunes. I have followed the instructions laid down the links you have posted similarly, to the letter. I have downloaded the IPSW version 3.0 and 3.0.1 many times thinking something might have gone wrong in the download. Each and everytime, Redsn0w goes through the 1st stage and the second stage. then the message waiting for reboot comes up and thats where it stays. I have even tried choosing ICy instead of cydia to be installed in Redsn0w 0.8.....still the same result.

The only time I have managed to get past the waiting for reboot stage is if I start iTunes at that stage and tell it restore, as it detects an iphone in restore mode (it should be in DFU mode obviously as Redsn0w is still running). Then iTunes reboots the phone and Redsn0w completes its jailbreaking and comes up with the message that jailbreaking is complete. However, by now iTunes has started to restore the phone again!!!! So i end up at square one again.

Obviously it is something that stops the phone from rebooting.

At that stage the screen is totally blank. The connect to itunes screen is ON at the begining before I turn the phone off as per redsn0w, it does not come ON again until the phone hangs.

The phone has never been activated before with O2, could this be an issue? But then again, when the guy in the shop managed to do it yesterday it worked, until I powered Off in Bosspref.

I know to you guys it may be straightforward process as I appreciate it should be. I cant even say that I am a newbie to this or computing in general but I'm lost as to what may be going wrong here. This is my first iPhone and I was really looking forward to enjoying it.

Once again thanks in advance for all your help.
    normaly it IS a straightforward process, I'm still not sure why your redsnow misbehaves. have you tried to manually reboot the phone when redsnow is waiting for it? it should work by pressing home and power together for several seconds, after a few seconds the phone should reboot. I'm not quite sure what you are doing wrong ... I used redsnow several times and it worked right out of the box. If, at the beginning of the process, you see the itunes logo on your phone than you did it correctly. after that you shouldn't need to do anything.
    Well, the manual reboot thing is the last thing I can imagine to work ... maybe you wanna try that.
    ... and you're sure you don't have an iphone 3GS?
    2009-08-24 12:15 AM
    Make sure you are using the right ipsw file for your device.
    If you have a 3GS you need one that starts with iPhone2,1
    if You have a 3G you need one that starts with iPhone1,2
    2009-08-24 04:05 AM
    normaly it IS a straightforward process, I'm still not sure why your redsnow misbehaves. have you tried to manually reboot the phone when redsnow is waiting for it? it should work by pressing home and power together for several seconds, after a few seconds the phone should reboot. I'm not quite sure what you are doing wrong ... I used redsnow several times and it worked right out of the box. If, at the beginning of the process, you see the itunes logo on your phone than you did it correctly. after that you shouldn't need to do anything.
    Well, the manual reboot thing is the last thing I can imagine to work ... maybe you wanna try that.
    ... and you're sure you don't have an iphone 3GS?
    Tried manual reboots and I'm sure it is a 3G phone and not 3GS.

yes the screen does stay blank so i would guess it is staying in DFU mode. Am lost but grateful for all your feedback......maybe my phone is one of those enigma's that sometime beat the odds! Lucky me hey ;-)

So off to extortionate contracts of selling the phone....and getting an unlocked one.
    2009-08-24 04:45 PM
    How much are you selling it for?
    2009-08-24 07:21 PM
    How much are you selling it for?
    LOL...Angie how much you offering? BTW I am in the UK!!!
    2009-08-24 07:32 PM
    How come there are so many people from the UK in these forums?
    2009-08-24 08:53 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD