On the Phone, Mail, and iPod icons... I think they showed up after i updated Backgrounder. Anyone know why they are there, or what they mean?

>Ryan
    2009-08-26 02:33 AM
    From Backgrounder, you must have updated today huh.
    You can remove them if you want by opening the app and then go to Global and turn off badge.
    2009-08-26 02:39 AM
    Yeah i updated today. What do they mean then?
    2009-08-26 02:41 AM
    Yeah i updated today. What do they mean then?

Press the Backgrounder icon to open the app, then press Global there you will find an option to turn off badges.
    2009-08-26 02:46 AM
    Press the Backgrounder icon to open the app, then press Global there you will find an option to turn off badges.
    Yeah i got that part. I'm just curious as to what they mean.
    2009-08-26 02:50 AM
    That particular app is running and is enabled. Sorry I got confused.
    2009-08-26 02:54 AM
    That's interesting... So the iPod is always running?
    2009-08-26 02:56 AM
    You can also go within the app and choose Application-specific and Blacklist the apps you do not want to run with backgrounder. Not sure why your iPod is running it shouldn't be.
    2009-08-26 03:00 AM
    I went into the blacklist and iPod, Mail, Phone, and Safari were shown as "ON". Does that mean they aren't supposed to run in the background? Also in SBSettings it shows that Phone and Mail are always running, iPod only shows up after i have had music playing.
    2009-08-26 03:13 AM
    u could install sbsettings and then go to processes and itll say like phone mail and ipod and u can just close it from there. (ipod usually stays on about 15 minutes even after your done playing music, atleast mine does)
    No signature spam or links... Thanks
    2009-08-26 03:15 AM
    Backgrounder never "offered" to update... wazzup.

of course: now it did :}
    2009-08-26 03:16 AM
    that's normal, they are all supposed to do that. mail runs in order to check your mail regularly, ipod is running because if you shut it down it loses your currently playing playlist. safari is running ... for no apparent reason, but it does.
    2009-08-26 03:16 AM
    Just kill the processes in sbsettings
    2009-08-26 04:04 AM
    Just kill the processes in sbsettings
    wouldn't kill mail, phone or ipod. bad idea. you could kill mail or ipod, but they don't really do anything except use a little RAM.

as for safari ... you can kill it. I never understood why it doesn't shutdown. it uses lots of RAM (around 20MB or something) and keeping it running has no upside ...
    2009-08-26 04:09 AM
    ^Killing any app isnt gonna do anything (bad). The app like "Phone" isnt required for the phone to function properly...it is just the GUI, it will actually force start if needed anyways. Mail is the same way.
    2009-08-26 04:15 AM
    ^Killing any app isnt gonna do anything (bad). The app like "Phone" isnt required for the phone to function properly...it is just the GUI, it will actually force start if needed anyways. Mail is the same way.
    if you kill mail, your phone won't check for new mails. if you kill ipod, you will lose your currently playing list.

where is the point in killing them anyway, mail will just restart itself if I'm not mistaken, ipod will be running again when you start it the next time. as for phone ... it's a basic system app, you shouldn't kill basic system apps :-) and - i didn't test it - but I would guess that if you kill the phone app you are unable to receive calls

edit: btw, I agree with you that your phone won't explode or something if you kill those apps ^^ but you still shouldn't
    Last edited by BlackWolf; 2009-08-26 at 01:22 PM.
    2009-08-26 12:48 PM
    I have tried to kill Mail and Phone in SBSettings, but as soon as i close the processes window and open it back up both mail and phone are still running. So i don't think it's possible to kill either of those...
    2009-08-26 07:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD