So, someone finally stole my White 16gb 3G last weekend Of course I called at&t to suspend the service etc. I also asked them if they could tell me if that IMEI was in use...not for a name or number that was using it, just if it was in use. Suprise! they won't tell me. I've been watching craigslist and ebay hoping for a lucky break, but nothing yet. I also filled out a police report, but don't expect they will do a full on investigation. My questions to you are: can the police get that info from at&t? I understand why they won't give it to the victim as there might be a body found floating in the river - Another question is if they are using the phone, would it be possible for me, err i mean a friend to put that iphone imei in another phone (iphone or other) and receive their phone calls and maybe find out who the thief is. I know it's illegal, but my "friend" really want's to get my phone back for me No it wasn't jailbroken and I didn't have mobileme so I can't track it by gps. Are there any other options? Has anyone got a stolen iphone back another legal way? Please help!!!! Thanx in advance. I will add that the phone had 3.1 beta 3 on it, so will that expire and lock them out eventually. can I have my dev pull my phone from his list and lock em out?? I know updating to 3.1gm will fix it though.
    Last edited by boozie; 2009-09-11 at 04:01 PM.
    2009-09-11 03:57 PM
    The IMEI is like the VIN# on a car - 100% the police can get the info (If they will do it is an other matter)
    The Police can request real time location of a phone that is turned on (loggod on to a phone network) based on IMEI and/or SIM Id. As well as wire tap it.

In EU all carriers share IMEI info => if a phone is stolen the IMEI is blocked from usage on any carrier. To get it unlocked one need to show up at the Police and prove the phone is yours.
    Honesly - why the heck isn't it the same here? Maybe u can push the case?

IMEI n call divertion: Has NOTHING to do with each other. The SIM is the identifyer for calls.
    Last edited by sursture; 2009-09-11 at 08:56 PM.
    Do hope that helps

**uoʇʇnq sʞuɐɥʇ ǝɥʇ ʇıɥ puɐ puıʞ ǝq noʎ pǝdןǝɥ sɐɥ ǝuoǝɯos ɟı**

2009-09-11 05:24 PM
    Thanx for the reply. It's a small town I might be able to talk the police into at least calling at&t. I have a feeling that if i put too much pressure on the theif, they will just dispose of it instead of dealing with the hassle. I have posted in several places that I will accept a "no questions asked" return if they tell me they "found it" I doubt it will turn up though.
    2009-09-11 06:13 PM
    It's a lost cause. Unless you know the exact location you aren't getting it back. It's time to move on and search craigslist for a replacement.
    Android user suffering from iPhone withdraw.
    2009-09-11 06:38 PM
    ^+1 It sucks but I wouldn't invest too much time into finding it
    2009-09-11 06:42 PM
    I've already replaced it with an 8 gig. It's funny though, I have been doing a mental survey of the people I have talked to about this and it's amazing how many of them tell me that this is my fault??? Granted i put it in a compromising situation, but in NO WAY is someone stealing from another person the victims fault! That's the backassward society that we live in today. If you leave your car unlocked and someone steals your stereo, that is NOT YOUR FAULT. You didn't make someone a thief!!!! I know someone will post that "I put it in a compromising situation and that makes it my fault", but NO IT'S NOT! If it's not yours, don't touch it! That would mean that I should've stolen everything i have ever seen just laying around. I guess i just put too much faith and trust in friends and acquaintances. I used to think society in general was good and there were a few bad apples, but now i feel it's the opposite! Here's some advice...DON'T TRUST ANYONE AND STEAL EVERYTHING! My new motto "Why work for it, just steal it"
    Last edited by boozie; 2009-09-11 at 07:04 PM.
    2009-09-11 07:00 PM
    You should install ilocalis on your new phone so you can track it if it gets stolen... and many other features.

iLocalis
    2009-09-11 07:01 PM
    That phone wasn't jailbroken. I'm playing with the mobileme trial right now as there is no jailbreak for 3.1 yet.

Man, I couldn't even bring myself to steal the real Nike logo. I am a sad individual!
    2009-09-11 07:23 PM
    Sorry to hear this buddy. i feel bad for a fellow Illinois iPhone rocker having it stolen. Thats some BS to see something you use day in and day out and rely on go like that. Its like stealing your car which is a GTR by the way. That would blow as much as the iPhone getting stolen.
    2009-09-11 07:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD