I have a 3GS that is on 3.0.1 that was stuck in a reboot loop.
    So I stupidly followed the instructions from a how-to to replace the MobileInstallation file to install ipa files from itunes and failed to pay attention to the post date which was from early last year...
    Rebooted the phone, and it just kept rebooting over and over.

I could put it temporarily into recovery mode, but iTunes cannot restore the phone. It has some message to the point of the device is not valid, which I understand is the result of Apple not signing the 3.0 and 3.0.1 firmwares. Redsn0w can recognize the phone, and the jailbreak procedure works, but obviously, unless I can get itunes to restore the phone and replace the faulty file, it's not going to boot correctly.

While going through the reboot loops, iTunes can temporarily recognize the phone before it reboots again.

I did save my TSS in Cydia last week.

What's my best course of action? Is there a way to access the file system through usb to replace the file with the backup? Or should I just upgrade to 3.1, which will hopefully still be possible.

Btw, I wrote in past tense because this was last night, and the battery has since died. I put the phone in a ziplock and in the fridge since it was getting hot, and I didn't want it to overheat.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Is my problem too stupid?
    I've been reading posts all day and can't really find a solution to my problem.
    Last edited by jdub765; 2009-09-12 at 02:13 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2009-09-12 02:13 AM
    well, I killed my 3GS today as well ... nothing to do than wait for 3.1 to get hacked :-(

oh and btw: GET YOUR PHONE OUT OF THE FRIDGE IMMEDIATLY! WTH?
    2009-09-12 03:06 AM
    I have the same problem and tried almost all of what you did, no dice .
    2009-09-12 03:32 AM
    So what's the current status? Can you SSH in?
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something
    2009-09-12 03:40 AM
    I can get the phone to boot up in recovery or DFU mode now. At least it's not rebooting over and over!

Is there an app that allows file system access in one of these modes? I just need to replace that one stoopid file
    2009-09-12 03:43 AM
    I don't think so
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something
    2009-09-12 03:48 AM
    Crapola. Someone needs to make one lol. It seems strange because the iPhone jailbreak apps can sorta access the file system from what it seems like...

!!!! so the phone would boot past the apple screen, and sit on a black screen, so I tried iPhoneBrowser at that point and it loaded! I replaced the MobileInstallation file, and rebooted it, but now it just sits on the apple screen.
    Is there a way to "restore" manually by replacing all the files through iphonebrowser? :crossesfingers:

I wish I had tried iphonebrowser FIRST
    Last edited by jdub765; 2009-09-12 at 04:34 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2009-09-12 04:30 AM
    No. Try moving mobilewatchdog.bundle and it might boot up all the way. Make sure you move it back again.
    2009-09-12 04:52 AM
    what do you mean move movilewatchdog.bundle? Just move the file to a different folder?
    2009-09-12 04:57 AM
    google it.
    I'm stealing the advice from Confucious so honestly I don't know much about it.
    But it works.
    2009-09-12 05:04 AM
    Sorry for the lack of updates. I tried that and there was no change, so I gave up on it for a while and instead, enjoyed my weekend

I just saw this Caching Apple's Signature Server - Jay Freeman (saurik)
    Will it work for me? I'm scared to just try things willy nilly now...
    2009-09-15 11:14 AM
    Sorry for the lack of updates. I tried that and there was no change, so I gave up on it for a while and instead, enjoyed my weekend

I just saw this Caching Apple's Signature Server - Jay Freeman (saurik)
    Will it work for me? I'm scared to just try things willy nilly now...
    if you saved your ECID in cydia then it will work
    2009-09-15 03:14 PM
    Same EXACT issue, and i've seen it many places before. Try to follow this guide

Downgrade iPhone Firmware 3.1 to 3.0

Even though its for downgrading from 3.1 to 3.0, it helps bypass apple's downgrade ban, and helps for extreme restores. I did it, but halfway through i opened redsn0w and redsn0w crashed iTunes. now its low battery and wont register a charge. I've lost hope
    2010-01-07 02:23 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD