So title pretty much explains it all, I've deleted the SMS messages and still see that they are in the sms.db file. But I am unable to "Load Earlier Messages" from that contact, even though they are still in the file. Is it at all possible to restore them to the my 3GS so that they are visible?
    I've tried restoring from Backup in iTunes and no luck.

Guessing this isn't possible?
    Last edited by Jal050688; 2009-09-13 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2009-09-13 04:46 PM
    Q: How do you know they are in the SMS.db file? The file size does not indicate they are still there. SMS.db is a sqlite database file which never gets smaller when items are deleted . If iTunes can not bring them back and you did not backup SMS.db to your computer, you're out of luck.
    Last edited by Mes; 2009-09-13 at 05:18 PM.
    2009-09-13 05:15 PM
    Well I've opened the SMS.db file and I can see that the text messages ARE still in said file. I have it backed up on my PC and the same one is still on my iPhone. But I am unable to view said messages on my iPhone because I deleted them, so no Load Earlier Messages option appears.
    2009-09-13 05:54 PM
    If you saved the SMS.db file to your computer before you deleted them, then just restore it and reboot. Should load.

If on the other hand, the SMS.db is after the delete, the it's some bits in the db that indicate the record is deleted and free to reuse the space.

There are lots of sqlite commands, some might restore deleted records (texts), but I don't remember them off hand. It might be possible to just dump the db and recreate it. That's how I reduced my SMS and Contacts db file sizes.
    Last edited by Mes; 2009-09-13 at 06:18 PM.
    2009-09-13 06:15 PM
    The SMS.db file is indeed after the delete, but the messages are still there.

Any idea how I would go about deleting and recreating so that I would be able to see the text messages? I wouldn't even know where to start, I'm using windows notepad to just view the files.
    2009-09-13 06:27 PM
    As I mentioned before. It's a database file. When an SMS record is deleted, the index is changed to indicate the record is deleted and the space is now available for reuse. The data still exists (unless overwritten) and the file size remains constant. I know of no good way to restore the record to its original state.. You're doing what I would probably do
    2009-09-13 10:48 PM
    Haha well alright, I misunderstood then. But thanks anyways

Someone has to know somewhere out there how to help!
    2009-09-14 04:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD