I have an iPhone2g and iPod touch. New member here. Basically a noob w/ iphone "stuff."

My iPhone-1.1.4 is unlocked(unlocked for me) and been working on T-mobile for well over a yr. I haven't really downloaded many apps. I have never updated my phone, because I didn't know how to unlock it again after the update. When looking for the same golf gps app a friend of mine has, it was not available...

My main question is: Is my software/firmware?(difference?)out of date? Should I update my iphone? If so, can it be re- jailbroke or unlocked? How? Links?

I need to get "up to date" basically. How? I want all the newest apps and everything available, without screwing up my already hacked phone. Unless, of course, it can be re- unlocked free, or cheaply.

Also, never done anything w/ touch because after the 1st update(when 1st released) it bricked. I took it back to BestBuy because it was within 30 days. Now, it obv isn't. Any advice for "updates" or "advances" I should have?

PLEASE HELP!?!?
    2009-09-13 05:39 AM
    Click on the "Guides" at the top of the screen, and google...
    2009-09-13 05:53 AM
    Search this forum and you will find your answers. You can literally google search "Jailbreak iPhone" and find many links.
    Android user suffering from iPhone withdraw.
    2009-09-13 05:55 AM
    ^ yes all guides are in the links above it the header "Guides"
    Yes, the reason you can't get GPS is the firmware your using it is not supported.
    Update iTunes to at least ver. 8.2 then you can get OS 3.0 or 3.0.1
    You do not want to update to firmware 3.1 or iTunes 9 as the jailbreak/unlock has not been released as of yet.
    Check out this link it will have links and pics.
    All jailbreaking/unlocking firmware is free.
    smaller sig.png
    2009-09-13 06:01 AM
    Okay. Bad wording. I know it CAN be re-unlocked. The real question is should I hassle with that? Where do I start, being that it is already hacked? The itunes update is currently 3.1- do I update in itunes, then go through the jailbreak and unlock process again? Or do I just download new firmware somewhere? As I said, it is unlocked and working fine...

I just need to know the best way to get all the new sh*t basically
    2009-09-13 06:03 AM
    did you click on the link I provided? has everything you need.
    If you want to update to 3.0 and get all it's features you'll have to do it, or not your choice of coarse.
    Once you update your OS you will lose the J/B and unlock. You should use redsn0w to jailbreak as well as 2 bootloader files for the unlock, all within the link.

If unsure, search the forum, there are hundreds of links, threads and info.
    smaller sig.png
    2009-09-13 06:08 AM
    I have itunes 9 now. But the only available update is 3.1 Apparently, it screws up the 3g phone, will it also "screw' my 2g? I believe I saw place on here to download 3.0 If so, do I just dl here instead of through itunes? Will I have to re-jailbreak or unlock after, if downloading 3.0 is possible?
    TY!
    2009-09-13 06:09 AM
    It is only a problem for the 3G[s]
    if it were me I would install iTunes 8.2 or 8.2 1 (i think that 3.0.1 is) to avoid any problems.
    Yes, you will have a fresh phone and have to Jailbreak and unlock. This is a very easy process. DO your homework, search around. If you need specific help you can post up in the forum.
    smaller sig.png
    2009-09-13 06:14 AM
    K, found the links for firmware. I will take ur advice and go with 8.2

Hopefully last dumb? Do you have a link to somewhere explaining how to backup all my music, photos,etc and more importantly.. How to get them back on my phone after all of these updates?
    2009-09-13 06:25 AM
    Are yo familiar with SSH?
    If so here are a couple threads that explain how to get files off your phone.
    This one speaks about using it with a pwnage J/B but same concept. And here is another one, a really good one also.
    As far as music, photos and contacts, if you sync prior to updating and the sync when you are all done they will return.
    I can not stress enough how important it is to set up as a NEW phone and not to sync from a back-up.
    smaller sig.png
    2009-09-13 06:33 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD