Okay, I've ready to make the move from my 2g iphone to a 3g or 3gs. I've had my 2g since day one and now I'm looking at changing carriers (VZ) because of their updated service area or resigning with AT&T. My current iphone has been modded and has the same capabilities in my opinion as the newer phones EXCEPT gps. Now this is a biggie for me as I want to use this feature. I currently have no need for 3g connection as I have to drive an hour to the closest location and I do so maybe once a month. So no issue there.

So my question is or feedback I'd like to receive is, should I upgrade to the 3g only or go ahead and take the plunge to the 3gs. I will be careful in hoping to get a 3.0 software phone and buy locally, but I'm curious, with a modded ifone, is there a real difference between 3g and 3gs?

I look forward to your remarks as I'm about to make the commitment one way or another into a 2 year contract this week.
    2009-09-14 05:58 AM
    Personally I prefer the 3G over the 3GS. Especially since Apple requires signed FW for the 3GS - but that might be just me.
    Do hope that helps

**uoʇʇnq sʞuɐɥʇ ǝɥʇ ʇıɥ puɐ puıʞ ǝq noʎ pǝdןǝɥ sɐɥ ǝuoǝɯos ɟı**

2009-09-14 06:02 AM
    Differences between a 3g and 3gs:

Processor speed 50% quicker from 400mhz to 600mhz

Ram is doubled from 128mb to 256mb.

Camera is upgraded and takes video (I know you can do this with cycorder)

Anyways, the 3GS is a MUCH better phone in my opinion from the 3G......so if this is something your going to keep for a while (sounds like it since you still have a 2g) then I would go 3GS.

^Agree w/ Sursture it will be more of a pain with a 3GS.....but the phone itself is much better.
    2009-09-14 06:03 AM
    I'm just curious if some of my local stores will have a 3gs with 3.0 still. U can jailb... a 3gs right? Using guides on this site.
    2009-09-14 07:00 AM
    as long as you are not dependant on an unlock, definetly go for the 3GS. it might be a little more complicated to jailbreak but it's just so nice to use ...
    2009-09-14 02:01 PM
    +1 for the 3GS, I just got mine last week, after have the 2G and the 3G... No looking back. My most frequently used apps and games load so much faster, I can actually be playing the game while the 3G is still loading. Opening the phone app is instant, no more waiting a couple seconds before you can scroll through contacts. Its really a much better overall experience with the 3GS.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish
    2009-09-14 03:22 PM
    Since Saurik has succeeded in downgrading from 3.1 to 3.0 I would go for the 3GS. It is blazing fast. When on the 3G with the jailbreak the phone would slow down tremendously. With my jailbroken 3GS there is no hesitation anywhere to be found.
    2009-09-14 03:38 PM
    I noticed on a friends 3GS that the apps load much quicker. I am convinced that I'll go with a 3GS. Not an issue for me about unlocking, just want the ability to jailbreak.
    2009-09-23 05:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD