Please be easy with me, I am sure this has been covered before. But I still can not find what I'm looking for.

I got a 3G Iphone with no SIM card from a friend who upgraded to a 3GS, I was basically going to use it as a Ipod since mine broke and use the wifi feature, maybe later on use it as a phone. It worked just fine, used it as a Ipod, could use safari when I had wifi and apps worked fine as well.

Today I hooked it up to my itunes, And restored to get rid of the hundreds of pictures, contacts, apps, etc, etc...Well now I have a Iphone with no SIM card that when turned on says "No SIM card installed Insert a valid SIM with no PIN lock to activate phone" And it also has the 3.1 firmware installed I believe now as well.

So now basically am I SOL with just a pretty paperweight, Or is there any way to make this thing work. I do have windows as well, A friend said he could fix it and it really did nothing but instead of opening up with a apple its a pineapple with a bite out of it. Thanks so much for all your time and help and anyone that helps me, I greatly appreciate it.

**Cliffs

Messed 3G Iphone, Would like to have it working again(Jailbroken, Unlocked) to use as a Ipod as well as some other features. do not have a SIM card, and do have Windows. Friend said he could fix, but didn't. it just now turns on with a pineapple that has a bite out of it instead of the apple logo.
    2009-09-26 10:45 AM
    when you restored, I suppose you phone was updated to 3.1?
    if so, you need access to a mac in order to get it working again. download pwnagetool, create a custom 3.1 firmware that activates the phone and restore to that firmware, that will do the trick. there are good tutorials on this on iclarified.com ... but you will not be able to use the phone as a phone anymore, only the ipod stuff.
    2009-09-26 12:16 PM
    I believe it is updated to 3.1.

Crap, I don't know anyone with a mac. And sorry if this is a stupid question, but why would I not be able to use it as a phone?

I believe at the moment it is Jailbroken, its just stuck on that screen that only allows emergency calls.
    2009-09-26 03:13 PM
    I believe it is updated to 3.1.

Crap, I don't know anyone with a mac. And sorry if this is a stupid question, but why would I not be able to use it as a phone?

I believe at the moment it is Jailbroken, its just stuck on that screen that only allows emergency calls.
    no it's not jailbroken anymore. when you restore a phone you have to activate it first. to do that, you need the original simcard that came with the phone. if you do not have that (which I suppose is the case here) you have to do it via PwnageTool (mac only) or redsn0w (not released for 3.1 yet) to get past the emergency-call-screen and jailbreak it.
    so you have to either get your hands on a mac somewhere, or you need to wait until redsn0w is released.

as for the phone: 3.1 cannot be unlocked yet, and if you upgraded to official 3.1 your modem firmware was upgraded, which prevents an unlock. your only hope to use it as phone is that somewhen in the future a new unlock is developed for a future firmware. right now, you have to wait for the 3.1 jailbreak, then you can at least use it as an ipod.
    2009-09-26 03:32 PM
    Thanks so much, I appreciate it. What if I where to go to AT&T, would there be anyway to just get a plan with them and just get it going like a normal IPhone. Thanks again!
    2009-09-26 03:48 PM
    Thanks so much, I appreciate it. What if I where to go to AT&T, would there be anyway to just get a plan with them and just get it going like a normal IPhone. Thanks again!
    mh, don't know about that since I'm not from the US. if you are sure that you have an AT&T phone, call them, ask if you can get an iphone plan only if you already have an AT&T iphone ... not sure if that's possible though
    2009-09-26 04:14 PM
    if you have the pineapple logo then you are probably on a custom 3.1 already

have you tried any sim in it?
    2009-09-26 04:39 PM
    I wouldnt go telling AT&T you have an iPhone. They will automatically charge you $30 a month for a mandatory data plan.

To get the phone out of the activation screen, and jailbreak it TODAY do this:

Put your phone in dfu mode....

1.Plug your iPhone into the computer and power it off.

2. When it is powered off, Press the Power buttonand hold the Home button. Continue to hold both buttons for 10 seconds.

3. Release only the Power button and continue to hold the Home button for another 10 seconds.

Now Download the 3.0 ipsw for the 3G iPhone in the downloads section or here:
    http://modmyi.com/forums/downloads.p...30511&act=down

When iTunes opens, it will detect the phone in recovery mode. Hold down the Shift key and press restore. It will open a window where you can browse for the correct ipsw. Browse to an select the 3.0 ipsw you downloaded.

Let it do its work.

When the restore is complete, open up redsn0w. Select the 3.0 ipsw again in redsn0w. Follow the directions to jailbreak. This will hacktivate the phone and jailbreak it.

You still will not be able to unlock it but you will be able to use the phone for an ipod now or use it on an official carrier such as At&t
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME
    2009-09-26 05:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD