You won't believe this as I still don't, but this is the God's honest truth. I had my 16gb iPhone 3g stolen on Sept 6th (see here: http://modmyi.com/forums/general-iph...-question.html). Now before I get the "You shouldn't leave it laying around" speech AGAIN, it was stolen from off of the stage AND it was HIDDEN in my stick bag (Drummer). That led me to believe it was an employee of the club we were playing. CHECK THIS OUT! My band played the same place this past weekend and a younger guy (early 20's) comes up to me and says "your guitar player told me you know how to jailbreak these" and hands me an iPhone 3g. Jokingly I asked him if it was white and I pull the silicone case down a little and it was white. He said he got it off of eBay. So then, as I am talking to him and telling him how cool they are, my fingers are going to town looking up the serial no and the imei number. I tell him I can't jailbreak it here cuz I need a computer to do it and hand it back.... I then go to my replacement phone and open the notes app where I had the serial no and IMEI of the stolen phone. THEY MATCH! I walk back over to the guy and say "I don't want to bust your head, so let me see your phone again." His eyes got really big and he handed to me and even put in his passcode. I then show him that that serial number and imei number match my stolen phone. He then asks if we can talk about this out side and I said I would love nothing more! He starts telling me that he didn't steal it, he found it under the big screen in the club. I called his second lie and showed him that it would not fit under the big screen. Long story short, the guy WAS working a the club the night it was stolen! He was the door guy. It was a one in a million shot, but I got it back. For those who will ask, no there was no violent action taken as I do have a police report out and will be seeking damages from the guy and/or club for the cost of the replacement iPhone, new line charge of $9.99 a month for 2 years $36 activation charge and anything else I can think of!

Moral of the story: Don't steal someones item and then ask them how to use it! WHAT A MORON!
    2009-09-28 03:50 PM
    hahaha, nice one.
    2009-09-28 04:06 PM
    Thats Hilarious!
    2009-09-28 04:28 PM
    if all your seeking is monetary gain then i would suggest working it out without the law, because he could probably end up going to jail for it with a felony under his belt.

but if that's what you want then...
    2009-09-28 07:06 PM
    Lol, Theft fail!!!
    2009-09-28 07:28 PM
    lmao
    2009-09-28 07:30 PM
    this is effing sweeeeeeeeeeeeeettt lol
    2009-09-28 07:38 PM
    EPIC. good going getting your phone back
    2009-09-28 07:42 PM
    if all your seeking is monetary gain then i would suggest working it out without the law, because he could probably end up going to jail for it with a felony under his belt.

but if that's what you want then...
    I wouldn't call it seeking "monetary gain" for the fact that I incurred several expenses throughout all of this. $150 for the stolen phone (16gb), $99 for the new phone (8gb), $36 activation, $9.99 a month for 24 months (extra line). That's $525 not including gas back & forth to the club looking for it and a couple trips to the police station. Not to mention all the trouble to contact at&t, my bank, change all my passwords and the most important, the fact of having to tell my WIFE that it's gone! Since I can't PROVE that he stole it, there will probably be no legal recourse, but I don't think he should get off totally free. He is an employee of the business, he found and item in the business and kept it instead of turning it in. There were 2 other "standard" phones turned in from the same night. Why was mine not turned in as well. That makes him a thief either way you look at it.

It's a moot point anyway. I thought at&t had a 14 day return policy, turns out it's 30 days. They took the new phone back (charged a $10 restocking fee), Took the additional line off and canceled the contract. I still had to pay the $36 activation + $10 (restocking) and $9.99 for one month of the extra line. I'll write that $56 as lesson learned! I am contacting the owner of the club to let him know he has a "dishonest" employee working for him named DARRELL SMITH and hopefully he gets fired and is stuck with the iPhone plan and no phone!! I hope at&t/apple reams him for full price if he tries to get another phone! I also realized the he was probably asking me about jailbreaking it so he could steal apps! If that's the case, then he will steal just about anything! IMO he needs to be a convicted felon and probably already is!
    2009-09-28 08:06 PM
    I wouldn't call it seeking "monetary gain" for the fact that I incurred several expenses throughout all of this. $150 for the stolen phone (16gb), $99 for the new phone (8gb), $36 activation, $9.99 a month for 24 months (extra line). That's $525 not including gas back & forth to the club looking for it and a couple trips to the police station. Not to mention all the trouble to contact at&t, my bank, change all my passwords and the most important, the fact of having to tell my WIFE that it's gone! Since I can't PROVE that he stole it, there will probably be no legal recourse, but I don't think he should get off totally free. He is an employee of the business, he found and item in the business and kept it instead of turning it in. There were 2 other "standard" phones turned in from the same night. Why was mine not turned in as well. That makes him a thief either way you look at it.

It's a moot point anyway. I thought at&t had a 14 day return policy, turns out it's 30 days. They took the new phone back (charged a $10 restocking fee), Took the additional line off and canceled the contract. I still had to pay the $36 activation + $10 (restocking) and $9.99 for one month of the extra line. I'll write that $56 as lesson learned! I am contacting the owner of the club to let him know he has a "dishonest" employee working for him named DARRELL SMITH and hopefully he gets fired and is stuck with the iPhone plan and no phone!! I hope at&t/apple reams him for full price if he tries to get another phone! I also realized the he was probably asking me about jailbreaking it so he could steal apps! If that's the case, then he will steal just about anything! IMO he needs to be a convicted felon and probably already is!

Calm down bro. Convicted felon for taking a measly iphone? Call it as a loss and as a lesson learned bro. Move on, stop taking things to the heart and get a better job if you are crying about $56 that you lost on the account of you being clumsy and losing your phone.
    2009-09-28 08:31 PM
    Calm down bro. Convicted felon for taking a measly iphone? Call it as a loss and as a lesson learned bro. Move on, stop taking things to the heart and get a better job if you are crying about $56 that you lost on the account of you being clumsy and losing your phone.
    I don't recall "crying about $56" I believe I said "I'll write that $56 as lesson learned!" if you re-read the post and YES convicted felon for stealing ANYTHING! Also, I don't consider someone stealing from me as me being clumsy or losing anything.
    2009-09-28 08:41 PM
    This is a great story!!

If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME
    2009-09-28 09:23 PM
    He is a complete idiot. lol
    I could have learn to jailbreak the phone online instead of asking lol.
    Well, you were lucky to get it back.
    2009-09-28 09:29 PM
    An interesting story for sure. Nice ending too. Glad you got your phone back.
    Karma, what goes around comes around ya know. This thief deserves what is coming to him. Me, I wouldn't let it go at all. I would pursue it to the max as I have no sympathy for a thief.
    2009-09-28 09:31 PM
    Agreed, I am the same way

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    2009-09-28 09:50 PM
    Wow thats awesome.
    2009-09-28 10:05 PM
    I have to admit that it was a one in a million shot. It's a pretty small town and I only know a couple of people in the area with iPhones, let alone a white one. Since it was taken from the stage behind the drums, I had a feeling it was an employee. Nobody else should have been on the stage. I now have it locked with a passcode and i am checking into the different gps location apps. Now all i need is a case with a chain long enough to reach from my belt loop to my ear
    2009-09-28 10:13 PM
    I have to admit that it was a one in a million shot. It's a pretty small town and I only know a couple of people in the area with iPhones, let alone a white one. Since it was taken from the stage behind the drums, I had a feeling it was an employee. Nobody else should have been on the stage. I now have it locked with a passcode and i am checking into the different gps location apps. Now all i need is a case with a chain long enough to reach from my belt loop to my ear
    Just get a Mobile Me subscription. You can locate your phone anytime online, send messages to the phone, and remote wipe it

2009-09-28 10:16 PM
    Good job n all that but im old skool i woulda taught this mofo a lesson he'd be nursing a sore eye. Everyone would ask how he got it bye bye job! As for the police well when
    do they help us???!

fair enough no ones perfect but thats why ive neva had anythin stolen!
    MAyb next time ull install some sortta trackin daemon

We all rob companies but we shouldnt rob each other
    2009-09-29 12:40 AM
    This is great, and loved how he tried to play it off. Glad you got your phone back. No need for MobileMe when an the thief is an idiot.
    2009-09-29 12:57 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD