Hi, guys. I got 2 questions:

1) Is it possible to upgrade my iphone 1G to 3.1?

2) What's so special about 3.1? What are the features in 3.1 that aren't in 3.0?

2009-10-02 11:54 PM
    yeah, you can (btw, it's called a 2G), but if you don't have any apps that only work on 3.1 I guess it's not worth it.
    there are som bug fixes and minimal new features in 3.1, but nothing really noteworthy. so as long as your phone runs fine, I wouldn't update.
    2009-10-03 12:40 AM
    yeah, you can (btw, it's called a 2G), but if you don't have any apps that only work on 3.1 I guess it's not worth it.
    there are som bug fixes and minimal new features in 3.1, but nothing really noteworthy. so as long as your phone runs fine, I wouldn't update.
    Thanks black wolf.
    2009-10-03 03:23 AM
    (btw, it's called a 2G)
    Off topic but, where do you get this?

Considering it doesn't run on "2G" and isn't the 2nd generation?

I would take 1G, EDGE or even original to be the correct name...

Just curious
    2009-10-03 03:34 AM
    ^every phone released since 2001 uses 2G ,bud.

and its called the iphone 2G because it runs on 2G and it was the one before 3G.

no signature links or spam.... only warning
    2009-10-03 06:37 AM
    Off topic but, where do you get this?

Considering it doesn't run on "2G" and isn't the 2nd generation?

I would take 1G, EDGE or even original to be the correct name...

Just curious
    well, everyone is calling it the iPhone 2G. My understanding was that EDGE is sometimes called 2G, just like UMTS is called 3G. I didn't know the term 3G either until the iphone came along, in germany it's known as UMTS, not 3G, but it's the same.

I havn't ever checked if EDGE is really called 2G, but I just thought so
    2009-10-03 12:34 PM
    1G is refer to voice network only, eg: gsm network. 2G is refer to 2nd technology that also carry the gsm network plus data. 3G is the third generation that able to carry the voice network plus High speed data and also capable of switching to gprs/edge!
    2009-10-03 04:33 PM
    I guess I've just never heard EDGE referred to as 2G. Always heard it referred to as EDGE.

Now correct me if I am wrong, but I think I have never head of this because...

2G Network isn't EDGE it's 2G (GSM)
    EDGE is 2.5G (GPRS & EDGE)(which was the original/1st Generation iPhone)
    3G (WCDMA) (the 2nd generation iPhone or 3G and 3rd Generation iPhone 3G[s])
    Then now we also have 4G (OFDM, ALL-IP, WLAN)

I bring this up because I see some many get confused. And now-a-days when some phones require different firmwares, different JB's etc... It's important to understand.

So am I not understanding this right? (not in the business so I am just trying to get it) Always good to learn, right?!?!
    2009-10-03 07:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD