Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hit

9 69.23%
  • Miss

1 7.69%
  • Meh

3 23.08%
    • These are the first pictures of a new modding project I'm currently working on. The final prototype will include some cool goodies such as inductive charging ( la palm prē) and real high-power LED camera flash / flashlight embedded in the apple logo. I will post another thread as soon as I have something up and running.

• For now, the purpose of this post is to gather opinions on the looks only. You are most likely familiar with some of the gold plated, diamond encrusted, bling-bling screaming incarnations that popped up over the past couple of years. What I'm trying to achieve is classy, perhaps "sophisticated" look, but without the bling factor. I do realize it's a fine line and that's why I'm asking you guys for some help... looking at the pictures below, would you say I'm on or off target?

• Of course, all suggestions are more than welcome. Thank you!

NEW! Question: Would you like to have your name or monogram written on the back (or front)? If so, how important would it be for you to have such a customization?

(Click on an image for larger size)
    Last edited by flix; 2009-10-12 at 01:10 AM.
    2009-10-04 03:46 AM
    Looks awesome, are the volume and bezel gold? Nice work.
    smaller sig.png
    2009-10-04 03:49 AM
    Looks awesome, are the volume and bezel gold? Nice work.
    Gold it is. Besides the steel bezel, I plated everything that was platable: the silent, power and volume buttons, speaker, mike and earpice grilles and even the two screws at the bottom. The headphone ring is fake chrome on plastic and the camera ring is aluminum - too compllicated.
    2009-10-04 05:26 AM
    is the front not changeable or something? every housing mod i've ever seen still has the front as black.

no signature links or spam.... only warning
    2009-10-04 06:38 AM
    is the front not changeable or something? every housing mod i've ever seen still has the front as black.
    Theoretically, I could replace the black behind the glass with another color, maybe a texture or image or I could give it a mirror finish (silver - just like your bathroom mirror, or gold). While the former could be a useful tool for - let's say - women, the latter would scream bling; something I'm trying to avoid.

Is there anything specific you had in mind that could look nice instead of the black?
    2009-10-04 07:10 AM
    Looks great! What did you use for the housing? Is it painted, coated?

Oh, replacing the black on the digitizer is very tricky. You can damage the digitizer by one little slight of hand. I have a company where I can get the raw digitizer without paint, but the problem you still have is that there is more to the digi than just paint...
    Last edited by Melech518; 2009-10-04 at 07:22 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME
    2009-10-04 07:22 AM
    Oh, replacing the black on the digitizer is very tricky [...]
    Which is why I said I could theoretically do the front. Still, the cost / benefit ratio is most likely unjustified and I'd be better off "working from the outside". If I had to.

And now, getting back to the back...
    2009-10-04 09:10 AM
    Theoretically, I could replace the black behind the glass with another color, maybe a texture or image or I could give it a mirror finish (silver - just like your bathroom mirror, or gold). While the former could be a useful tool for - let's say - women, the latter would scream bling; something I'm trying to avoid.

Is there anything specific you had in mind that could look nice instead of the black?
    yes, if the front had the same texture as the back, that would look awesome. i think a 3GS like that (with the front texture) could fetch at least 900$.

2009-10-04 09:34 AM
    Which is why I said I could theoretically do the front. Still, the cost / benefit ratio is most likely unjustified and I'd be better off "working from the outside". If I had to.

And now, getting back to the back...
    Thanks for answering my question about the casing/housing...

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    2009-10-04 09:37 AM
    I am pretty sure the black bit on the back of the glass can be removed without touching the digitizer at all, would just be time consuming to sought of scratch it all off without marking the glass.

I really like the look of it, congratulations. Definetly classy.
    The Original Autobot of MMi
    Jesus couldn't turn into a fire engine

LOL -> "Winterboard does not interfere at all with my performance."

Suck it up, Sucker
    2009-10-04 12:33 PM
    I think my favorite wood color (a birch look) would be awesome. I had wanted the same in a S40 I was looking to buy. That type of faux wood you used always reminds me of a Corolla or an old Cadillac.

Like..
    http://image.motortrend.com/f/949751...0+interior.jpg
    This is what I have in my A4 now
    http://www.carsandreviews.com/wp-con...interior-6.jpg
    Same type of wood

Lovely

Not
    2009-10-04 12:41 PM
    Looks classy!! The only problem is that, I use my phone at work so its always in a case, hence no need for this
    2009-10-04 12:49 PM
    would it work if you used an invisishield with that pattern on it? do they make patterned invisishields?

2009-10-04 07:54 PM
    I mean... are you sure?

Here, a quick mock-up:

2009-10-04 09:44 PM
    WOW that's tight.
    2009-10-04 10:12 PM
    This is hot!!!
    2009-10-04 10:13 PM
    I mean... are you sure?

Here, a quick mock-up:

thats effin nice dude, it'd be even better if you had the home button "icon" in gold on that pattern.

2009-10-04 10:19 PM
    That looks great and could easily go on the outside of the glass. Sign me Up! I'll buy one right now

2009-10-04 11:57 PM
    [...] That type of faux wood you used always reminds me of a Corolla or an old Cadillac.
    ROFL old Cadillac... this just cracked me up

I think my favorite wood color (a birch look) would be awesome. Like..
    http://image.motortrend.com/f/949751...0+interior.jpg
    This is what I have in my A4 now http://www.carsandreviews.com/wp-con...interior-6.jpg Same type of wood
    Here, some swatches. What would go better?

2009-10-05 12:09 AM
    My BMW has a black burl similar to this one

I would love to have one to Match I'll make it worth your while...PM me and lets make a deal so you can send me the housing and the front overlay. I will take care of the rest

2009-10-05 12:12 AM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD