Hi guys. Ever since I installed itunes 9.0.1, I'm not able to SSH into my phone through Putty or iphone tunnel suite. I need to downgrade to itunes 8.2. How can I SAFELY downgrade to 8.2 WITHOUT losing my ability to access my songs and ringtones?

2009-10-05 09:11 PM
    Hi guys. Ever since I installed itunes 9.0.1, I'm not able to SSH into my phone through Putty or iphone tunnel suite. I need to downgrade to itunes 8.2. How can I SAFELY downgrade to 8.2 WITHOUT losing my ability to access my songs and ringtones?

I told you in another topic: putty has nothing to do with itunes. you didn't enter the correct stuff in putty if you cannot connect, definetly.

as for downgrading ... I guess exporting the media library, then uninstall itunes, then installing itunes 8.2, then importing the library should work, but I never tried it myself
    2009-10-05 09:13 PM
    I told you in another topic: putty has nothing to do with itunes. you didn't enter the correct stuff in putty if you cannot connect, definetly.

as for downgrading ... I guess exporting the media library, then uninstall itunes, then installing itunes 8.2, then importing the library should work, but I never tried it myself
    BloackWolf, I got to disagree with you. Itunes version 9.0.1 has MUCH to do with Putty and other SSH apps. As a matter of fact, I've read countless posts on other forums from users that have complained that ever since they upgraded to itunes 9.0.1, that they haven't been able to sync with their iphone. This isn't a coincidence, it's a fact.

Also, I got the stand-alone Putty app and I'm still unable to sync wth my iphone. I still get the same error... all because of itunes 9.0.1.
    Last edited by big black; 2009-10-05 at 10:37 PM.
    2009-10-05 10:35 PM
    BloackWolf, I got to disagree with you. Itunes version 9.0.1 has MUCH to do with Putty and other SSH apps. As a matter of fact, I've read countless posts on other forums from users that have complained that ever since they upgraded to itunes 9.0.1, that they haven't been able to sync with their iphone. This isn't a coincidence, it's a fact.

Also, I got the stand-alone Putty app and I'm still unable to sync wth my iphone. I still get the same error... all because of itunes 9.0.1.
    what has putty to do with syncing, sorry if I ask? but I suppose you just mean accessing the phone via putty.
    I can only tell you that SSH is not dependend from itunes. I have itunes 9.0.1 and all my SSH programs from all my pcs and macs work fine, so do the programs of all my friends.

if you have a standalone putty and SSH is running on the phone, it WILL work.
    I only read that 3.1 firmware somehow interfers with SSH. I can't say this is true for me, but I can't be sure it isn't true for others. but it's not itunes-related, I'm pretty sure of that.

if putty doesn't work, try WinSCP which has a small terminal utility built in and can also be linked to putty. works perfectly for me. if you are on a mac, just use the comand line which should work as well
    2009-10-05 10:52 PM
    what has putty to do with syncing, sorry if I ask? but I suppose you just mean accessing the phone via putty.
    I can only tell you that SSH is not dependend from itunes. I have itunes 9.0.1 and all my SSH programs from all my pcs and macs work fine, so do the programs of all my friends.

if you have a standalone putty and SSH is running on the phone, it WILL work.
    I only read that 3.1 firmware somehow interfers with SSH. I can't say this is true for me, but I can't be sure it isn't true for others. but it's not itunes-related, I'm pretty sure of that.

if putty doesn't work, try WinSCP which has a small terminal utility built in and can also be linked to putty. works perfectly for me. if you are on a mac, just use the comand line which should work as well
    Well, I don't know how itunes 9.0.1 works for you, but ever since I installed it, I'm not able to sync my phone to my PC and use iphone tunnel suite and putty. I use XP and I'm still on 2.2.1, by the way. I think you got no problems because you got a Mac. And iphone tunnel suite, including putty, worked fine until I installed 9.0.1. There's got to be a fix somewhere. There are tons of people who have the same issue.

2009-10-06 12:41 AM
    Well, I don't know how itunes 9.0.1 works for you, but ever since I installed it, I'm not able to sync my phone to my PC and use iphone tunnel suite and putty. I use XP and I'm still on 2.2.1, by the way. I think you got no problems because you got a Mac. And iphone tunnel suite, including putty, worked fine until I installed 9.0.1. There's got to be a fix somewhere. There are tons of people who have the same issue.

I have a mac and a PC and both work fine. WinSCP works fine, putty works fine, cyberduck on mac works fine, terminal on mac works fine - it works

like I said, try winSCP or putty standalone, it has to work if you enter the correct data and everything
    2009-10-06 02:17 AM
    Take the man's advice bro, SSH has nothing to do with iTunes.
    You're making a mistake somewhere that's keeping you from sshing into your phone. You can also try CyberDuck to SSH.
    2009-10-06 03:16 AM
    You're making a mistake somewhere that's keeping you from sshing into your phone. You can also try CyberDuck to SSH.
    Habusho, I've said this countless times and I'll say it again. Ever since installing itunes 9.0.1, I and others have NOT been able to SSH into the iphone through putty and iphone tunnel suite. There are tons of people suffering from this. I'm not the only one.

Habusho, I've said this countless times and I'll say it again. Ever since installing itunes 9.0.1, I and others have NOT been able to SSH into the iphone through putty and iphone tunnel suite. There are tons of people suffering from this. I'm not the only one.

Check out this website explaining that itunes 9 causes apps like putty to not to be able to sync the iphone and computer:

http://www.*****************/showthread.php?t=1746

Last edited by big black; 2009-10-07 at 01:08 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2009-10-07 01:08 AM

Check out this website explaining that itunes 9 causes apps like putty to not to be able to sync the iphone and computer:

http://www.*****************/showthread.php?t=1746

it beeped out your adress ^^ btw, I'll say it again: itunes is not technically linked to ssh. they have nothing to do with each other. try WinSCP, it will work.

I never heard this issue, even though you are claiming "lots of people" suffer it. I have itunes 9.0.1, I can SSH with EVERY progam. all of my friends can so as well. which proves that it WORKS. instead of saying that it doesn't work over and over again, you might wanna try to see what you did wrong ;-)
    2009-10-07 01:10 AM
    it beeped out your adress ^^ btw, I'll say it again: itunes is not technically linked to ssh. they have nothing to do with each other. try WinSCP, it will work.

I never heard this issue, even though you are claiming "lots of people" suffer it. I have itunes 9.0.1, I can SSH with EVERY progam. all of my friends can so as well. which proves that it WORKS. instead of saying that it doesn't work over and over again, you might wanna try to see what you did wrong ;-)
    BlackWolf, I really don't know how your SSH still works with itunes 9. Perhaps you're on a Mac? But, based on the experiences of myself and others who've complained about this incident, there's no question that itunes has disabled SSH ability. If hundreds of people including myself complained that this happened to them once they upgraded to itunes 9, then it's likely that itunes has affected SSH... to deny this is to deny the facts. My SSH worked fine before itunes 9. Therefore, the ONLY culprit is iTunes 9... without a doubt.

Instead of you saying that it does work over and over again when it really doesn't, try to recommend a fix so myself and others can repair this problem.

And I know the forum cut off the URL, but can't explain why it did that. It's a link to a page from the sinful iphone website.

2009-10-07 02:33 AM
    itunes 9 hasn't disable SSH on my windows XP.
    2009-10-07 02:41 AM
    BlackWolf, I really don't know how your SSH still works with itunes 9. Perhaps you're on a Mac? But, based on the experiences of myself and others who've complained about this incident, there's no question that itunes has disabled SSH ability. If hundreds of people including myself complained that this happened to them once they upgraded to itunes 9, then it's likely that itunes has affected SSH... to deny this is to deny the facts. My SSH worked fine before itunes 9. Therefore, the ONLY culprit is iTunes 9... without a doubt.

Instead of you saying that it does work over and over again when it really doesn't, try to recommend a fix so myself and others can repair this problem.

And I know the forum cut off the URL, but can't explain why it did that. It's a link to a page from the sinful iphone website.

don't know why the forum cut the URL.
    still, itunes 9 is not responsible. I'm not denying facts. it's a technical fact that itunes CANNOT BE responsible for ssh not working. it's just not possible. I can't stress that enough. That's why I'm telling you that you must have done something wrong. For 99% of the people, SSH seems to work fine, or else we would have LOTS of posts about this on this forum - but we don't. Like I said, I know NOBODY where SSH doesn't work. And as I told you before, it works on my windows machine as well - and it works perfectly.

As for the iTunes downgrade, I posted what I know about that above. If you want to downgrade itunes, do so. It won't help. That's what I'm trying to tell you. Why don't you just download WinSCP (it's freeware), install it, then connect to your iphone. if it doesn't work, post here what you entered in WinSCP and what error message you are getting.
    OR you just write what error message you get in putty. a timeout? connection refused? what is it?

Maybe I'm able to help you. But I'm telling you: iTunes is NOT responsible, as it has NOTHING to do with SSH, and that's a technical fact, sorry ;-)
    I'm not trying to be rude or anything, it's just that what you say is plain impossible
    2009-10-07 03:19 AM
    don't know why the forum cut the URL.
    still, itunes 9 is not responsible. I'm not denying facts. it's a technical fact that itunes CANNOT BE responsible for ssh not working. it's just not possible. I can't stress that enough. That's why I'm telling you that you must have done something wrong. For 99% of the people, SSH seems to work fine, or else we would have LOTS of posts about this on this forum - but we don't. Like I said, I know NOBODY where SSH doesn't work. And as I told you before, it works on my windows machine as well - and it works perfectly.

As for the iTunes downgrade, I posted what I know about that above. If you want to downgrade itunes, do so. It won't help. That's what I'm trying to tell you. Why don't you just download WinSCP (it's freeware), install it, then connect to your iphone. if it doesn't work, post here what you entered in WinSCP and what error message you are getting.
    OR you just write what error message you get in putty. a timeout? connection refused? what is it?

Maybe I'm able to help you. But I'm telling you: iTunes is NOT responsible, as it has NOTHING to do with SSH, and that's a technical fact, sorry ;-)
    I'm not trying to be rude or anything, it's just that what you say is plain impossible
    BlackWolf, I totally appreciate your reply and help to me. But with all due respect, and I've told you this MANY times, WinSCP doesn't work A-N-Y-M-O-R-E. I told you countless times that iphone tunnel suite and putty aren't responding when I plug my iphone in.

Perhaps when upgrading to itunes 9.0.1, some files in itunes 9.0.1 conflict with files of putty or WinSCP. Who knows? All I know is, the itunes upgrade created a condition whereby I'm no longer able to sync my iphone through putty, winscp, iphonebrowser, and iphone tunnel suite.

For the last time, and I'm saying this with ALL due respect to you - and believe me, I really enjoy your posts and help, so I'm not trying to stir a fight between us - this upgrade did something to disable the syncing functions of the aforementioned file manager apps. And others are complaining about this in these forums:

http://www.*************/showthread.php?t=48960

http://www.*************/showthread.php?p=277449

My theory is that files in the itunes upgrade messed up/conflict with files from the above apps.
    Last edited by big black; 2009-10-07 at 07:59 AM.
    2009-10-07 07:20 AM
    BlackWolf, I totally appreciate your reply and help to me. But with all due respect, and I've told you this MANY times, WinSCP doesn't work A-N-Y-M-O-R-E. I told you countless times that iphone tunnel suite and putty aren't responding when I plug my iphone in.

Perhaps when upgrading to itunes 9.0.1, some files in itunes 9.0.1 conflict with files of putty or WinSCP. Who knows? All I know is, the itunes upgrade created a condition whereby I'm no longer able to sync my iphone through putty, winscp, iphonebrowser, and iphone tunnel suite.

For the last time, and I'm saying this with ALL due respect to you - and believe me, I really enjoy your posts and help, so I'm not trying to stir a fight between us - this upgrade did something to disable the syncing functions of the aforementioned file manager apps. And others are complaining about this in these forums:

http://www.*************/showthread.php?t=48960

http://www.*************/showthread.php?p=277449

My theory is that files in the itunes upgrade messed up/conflict with files from the above apps.
    unfortunatly I can't see the URLs. maybe you want to put a space in the middle of the pagename, then it won't get beeped I guess.

anyway, while I believe that - for some reason - you can't SSH, I'm still convinced that it is not itunes 9 releated. but let's try to get your SSH working instead of fighting over that. the easiest way to check would, of course, be to install itunes 8 and uninstall itunes 9. I GUESS(!) that if you just point itunes 8 to the same library file that itunes 9 used, it COULD work ... but maybe they are not compatible, I have no idea, really.

you don't happen to have access to a mac, do you? sshing onto the phone via terminal is the ultimate method of finding out what's going on. or, if you have access to another PC, it would be a good idea to try from that PC. if it works - then we know it's something with your PC (I'm still sure it's not itunes, but let's keep that aside for the moment).

oh, and: you're saying putty/winscp are crashing. let's ignore iphone tunnel suite for a second, I have no idea how that works. so winSCP crashes right on the start, or when you try to establish a connection? If it crashes when establishing a connection, try again and wait for a few minutes. When my WinSCP has problems connecting, it sometimes seems like it has crashed but after 2 minutes or so gives me an error message.
    and I suppose you SSHed onto the iphone before, so you know what stuff to enter in the connection dialog?
    Last edited by BlackWolf; 2009-10-07 at 10:12 AM.
    2009-10-07 10:09 AM
    I wouldn't waste any more time BlackWolf, you've tried to help as best you can.
    2009-10-07 11:06 AM
    turns out he entered 127.0.0.1 as the IP ... obviously that won't work
    2009-10-07 11:09 AM
    So I saw. And he still insists the problem is with iTunes 9.
    2009-10-07 11:23 AM
    Just to support BlackWolf I have windows 7-64bit and I use winscp fine to ssh into my iPhone and I have the latest iTunes as well
    iTunes fries not have anything 2do with ssh bcuz when something happens to the phone and iTunes picks it up in dfu/recovery mode ur still able to ssh
    make sure ur entering the right username/password/ip address and just try reinstalling stuff (winscp, openssh)
    2009-10-07 01:56 PM
    iGuy or iGay, BlackWolf IS NOT wasting his time. He's tried to help me the best way he can. For that I commend him. Just because a problem hasn't the immediate solution we all want doesn't mean that people who try to come up with a solution is wasting their time and energy. As a matter of fact, without BlackWolf, I wouldn't have been able to get solutions on other issues. So, don't tell him he's wasting his time when he's helped me and a ton of others. Maybe you're wasting your time on this thread since YOU haven't been able to come up with a solution. BTW, you're disrupting the forum by attempting to start a war, which is breaking forum rules.

Last edited by big black; 2009-10-07 at 06:20 PM.
    2009-10-07 06:09 PM
    iGuy or iGay, BlackWolf IS NOT wasting his time. He's tried to help me the best way he can. For that I commend him. Just because a problem hasn't the immediate solution we all want doesn't mean that people who try to come up with a solution is wasting their time and energy. As a matter of fact, without BlackWolf, I wouldn't have been able to get solutions on other issues. So, don't tell him he's wasting his time when he's helped me and a ton of others. Maybe you're wasting your time on this thread since YOU haven't been able to come up with a solution. BTW, you're disrupting the forum by attempting to start a war, which is breaking forum rules.

oh my god, I get all red ... ^^
    2009-10-07 06:22 PM
21 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD