Browsing craigslist for iPhones i can't help but notice several adds for people charging to JB and Unlock. One guy in particular had a great pricing model:
    $5 to jailbreak
    add $15 to unlock
    add $10 for video camera
    add $20 for turn by turn navigation

Once again, i believe this to be the best pricing model i have seen on craigslist for this.

In response to many adds like these i posted this:

"With all the people advertising to Jailbreak and Unlock iPhones for between $15-$30 I figured I'd share some info with everyone.
    The software to both Jailbreak and Unlock iPhones is distributed for free by the developers. If you're gonna pay to Jailbreak and Unlock, you should support the developers and donate.

Tutorials and Info at these sites is enough for anyone to hack their iPhone:
    iClarified - Apple News and Tutorials - great tutorials
    Apple & iPhone News | Forums | ModMyi.com - must sign-up for free to access full website
    Dev-Team Blog - creators of the majority of Jailbreaking software

Stop paying for something that was meant to be free."

If there was an everyday BSing section, i would have put this there.

Just for the sake of throwing a question in this post: So of the 1/2 million members, how many of you advertise to jailbreak/unlock for a fee? If you do, can we still be friends?
    Last edited by joemamawilder; 2009-10-07 at 09:25 PM.
    2009-10-07 09:21 PM
    Wow, amazes me sometimes. That guy is not only charging to jailbreak but it seems he is charging for installing cracked apps on their phones also for a fee.
    2009-10-07 09:31 PM
    Some people do not know how to jailbreak/unlock and 15 bucks is good when unlocking a Nokia or a SE a shop will charge 30.
    2009-10-07 09:56 PM
    Charging a fee for a service which takes time and research is legit. Selling the software is BS. Some people just don't want to take the time to figure it out and know it's free software but would rather pay an expert.

Think of it like this... anyone that performs a service on a computer for a customer charges for the time/labor. He doesn't have to make a "donation" to the manufacturer of his PC or the company that developed the software he used to perform the service.
    2009-10-07 10:17 PM
    I understand what and why people are paying for. I just hope someone finds my post and decides to attempt it themselves. I learned to do mine only from the internet and found the process to be extremely easy with the tools(software) and information offered. I couldn't just pay someone to jailbreak, etc. and not want to know how it was done. Obviously not everyone is like this.

I'm assuming his software was CyCorder and either Navigon or TomTom that he was offering.
    I wonder if/how many people pay him to jailbreak/unlock soon to find out they paid an additional $15 to download ultrasn0w from Cydia, or put the bootloaders in redsn0w, during the jailbreak, for the 2G

I also edited the craigslist post with my email offering to help.
    2009-10-07 10:45 PM
    What you have to understand is the n00b that gets some random iPhone and googles iphone jailbreak has got to spend countless hours sifting through the endless amounts of old information to educate him/herself about iPhone models and firmware and baseband unlocking/jailbreak tools and programs... before he can even attempt to plan a course of action. At this point that person gets so overwhelmed and scared they will brick or permanently lock their $500 iPhone that they just pay a small fee to ensure it gets done the right way.
    2009-10-07 10:50 PM
    What you have to understand is the n00b that gets some random iPhone and googles iphone jailbreak has got to spend countless hours sifting through the endless amounts of old information to educate him/herself about iPhone models and firmware and baseband unlocking/jailbreak tools and programs... before he can even attempt to plan a course of action. At this point that person gets so overwhelmed and scared they will brick or permanently lock their $500 iPhone that they just pay a small fee to ensure it gets done the right way.
    ^ That...
    iPhone 3GS 16GB 3.0fw White + Jailbroken
    2009-10-07 10:54 PM
    Not long ago I was a noob.
    I Googled and did it myself.
    Maybe I'm just tight....
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.
    2009-10-07 10:56 PM
    ^^^ Yeah me too.. that's why we're on here! For the rest of the population they have to pay.
    2009-10-07 11:16 PM
    I jb my original iphone with a tutorial I found way back when (ok 2 years isn't way back when LOL). At the time there was a dude here in No-Cal who was running a craigslist ad charging $50.00 to jb and another $20 to unlock for T-Mobile. I agree one one hand that you are paying for someones time and technical knowledge however limited that may be. But I also agree that if someone was doing something with my phone I would want to know what was going down
    2009-10-07 11:31 PM
    Capitalism!
    2009-10-08 02:35 AM
    Not long ago I was a noob.
    I Googled and did it myself.
    Maybe I'm just tight....
    +1. Wasn't that hard.. especially with how easy Quickpwn made it...
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something
    2009-10-08 02:39 AM
    There is nothing wrong with charging for the time you spend jailbreaking someones phones. I do all of my friends phones, but don't charge them. Instead I make them sit next to me during the process so that they learn the ins and outs. Then they do the same with their friends.
    2009-10-08 02:43 AM
    I was almost going to pay someone from craigslist to jailbreak my 3GS, the guy was claiming he had the JB method the same day the 3GS was out, and that was the only reason I was going to pay to have it done. Even though I have jailbroken my 1st gen iphone, and my 3g myself. I was just curious as to how he could JB the 3GS the same day it came out. Of course, it turned out to be BS. There are a bunch of people charging to JB, which I don't mind since people don't want to learn, but there are a bunch of people that have posts like for an extra $20-$30 the person would load any 5-10 app store apps no matter what the app costs. I think that part is shady.
    useful? hit the thanks button!
    2009-10-08 09:14 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD