I got Open SSH from Cydia. Said it downloaded properly. And it is not showing up on my phone anywhere. I have a 3G with 3.1 jailbroken. Any recommendations, thoughts? Thanks in advance!
    2009-10-09 12:55 AM
    .................where are you expecting it to "show up"?
    2009-10-09 01:11 AM
    ^^ it doesn't show up anywhere, just runs in the background.
    2009-10-09 01:15 AM
    I was expecting it to show up as an icon the same way it did back on the 2G iPhone. I guess I can call myself a dumb *** for expecting the new gear to work like the old stuff LOL. THank you kind family members of MMI. Your overwhelming response to my query has left me in a state of awe and inspiration
    2009-10-09 01:32 AM
    I was expecting it to show up as an icon the same way it did back on the 2G iPhone. I guess I can call myself a dumb *** for expecting the new gear to work like the old stuff LOL. THank you kind family members of MMI. Your overwhelming response to my query has left me in a state of awe and inspiration
    OPENSSH has never shown up anywhere on anything. There is nothing to show up.
    2009-10-09 01:45 AM
    One1....i have to respectfully disagree with you dude man...At one point in some old weirded out time and reality zone, I distinctly remember having an icon on my screen with the yellow pufferfish with brown dots. Now this was either my phone being "different" or my mushrooms lasting alot longer than normal LOL. I'll see if I have an old screenshot with it to show.
    2009-10-09 04:28 PM
    One1....i have to respectfully disagree with you dude man...At one point in some old weirded out time and reality zone, I distinctly remember having an icon on my screen with the yellow pufferfish with brown dots. Now this was either my phone being "different" or my mushrooms lasting alot longer than normal LOL. I'll see if I have an old screenshot with it to show.
    I think that was something else, but openSSH never had an icon. at least not in the last ... two and a half years or something.
    in any case, what would you need an icon for? switching SSH off is pointless anyway
    Last edited by BlackWolf; 2009-10-09 at 05:05 PM.
    2009-10-09 05:03 PM
    After countless hours of browsing through my old screen shots I have not found the evidence of such an icon. There fore I must conclude said icon will go the way of the Yeti, Loch ness Monster, Bigfoot and El Chupacabra...

I checked and I know the shrooms were not the ever lasting gobstoppers type. So I admit I "may" have been wrong about the existence of said icon.

Thank you all for your input and assisting me back through the looking glass....
    2009-10-09 08:16 PM
    This is "THE" repo for all iphone apps on 1.x -----> exploit.org PXL repository

"THE" repo..... that means whatever you see there is the way it is. Only thing we had on 1X was installer.
    2009-10-09 11:49 PM
    i also had the puffer fish icon and for the life of me i cant remeber how i got the icon for ssh but i can 100% guarantee you it was there and it was ssh.
    2009-10-11 04:03 PM
    Thank you SG for confirming I was not delusional!!!! Now if I could just find the dang thing!!
    2009-10-11 08:55 PM
    Thank you SG for confirming I was not delusional!!!! Now if I could just find the dang thing!!
    ... then what the hell would you do with it? what did that icon do if it was ever there? what would be the point of it?
    2009-10-11 09:45 PM
    The fish was not for SSH. I keep trying to tell you SSH is not a "program", there's nothing to "run" it's a process and it has no icon. WTF are you going to do with an SSH icon? Look at it? It doesn't represent anything. It can't do anything. It's like ruby, ajax, python, it's not an executable. You can't make it do anything.
    2009-10-11 10:11 PM
    ... then what the hell would you do with it? what did that icon do if it was ever there? what would be the point of it?
    It was there to turn ssh on or off much like you can do with SBprefs. Whats the big freakin deal anyways...I havent seen anyone get thier panties in a bunch over something sop stupid in a long time.
    2009-10-12 02:36 AM
    It was there to turn ssh on or off much like you can do with SBprefs. Whats the big freakin deal anyways...I havent seen anyone get thier panties in a bunch over something sop stupid in a long time.
    no I'm just saying that turning of SSH is pointless, so you can save yourself an icon and the hassle of searching for it. and if you REALLY need to do it there is SBSettings. If the icon would have performed some awesome function than it might have been worth searching for, but in that case ... believe me, you're better off without the icon.
    I mean, it's your phone and everything, but I'm just trying to help
    2009-10-12 09:31 AM
    like m93 stated very early. and i have no idea if this true or not having ssh open drains battery life also leaves youre phone open if someone were to know your ip. the icon would toggle on / off open ssh. i jailbroke my phone again 2 days ago so i am in the process of figuring out how to get the icon not because i need but out of sheer curiosity. i believe it was a hidden icon that you could make appear with sbssetting. i will check that either today or tomorrow.

can anyone confirm that open ssh runing does effect the battery???

if it does then i can see the use for the icon. i can however confirm the icon did once roam the iphone much like the dinosaurs did the earth
    2009-10-16 01:28 AM
    no I'm just saying that turning of SSH is pointless, so you can save yourself an icon and the hassle of searching for it. and if you REALLY need to do it there is SBSettings. If the icon would have performed some awesome function than it might have been worth searching for, but in that case ... believe me, you're better off without the icon.
    I mean, it's your phone and everything, but I'm just trying to help
    Dude.....at this point it's not the worth of the icon turning it off or on...I have solved the problem. Now I'm on a quest to find the darn thing because I thought the pufferfish ICON was bitchin LOL

THanks again for all of your input. It truly is appreciated!!
    2009-10-16 01:42 AM
    like m93 stated very early. and i have no idea if this true or not having ssh open drains battery life also leaves youre phone open if someone were to know your ip. the icon would toggle on / off open ssh. i jailbroke my phone again 2 days ago so i am in the process of figuring out how to get the icon not because i need but out of sheer curiosity. i believe it was a hidden icon that you could make appear with sbssetting. i will check that either today or tomorrow.

can anyone confirm that open ssh runing does effect the battery???

if it does then i can see the use for the icon. i can however confirm the icon did once roam the iphone much like the dinosaurs did the earth
    I can confirm that open ssh running does NOT effect your battery in any way. that's why I'm telling you: there is no use in switching it off, just leave it be ^^ if you really need to switch it off, get the ssh switch for sbsettings (I think it's included with the other basic sbsettings switches)
    2009-10-16 08:23 AM
    Generate a public key with your ssh client, copy it to your phone and deny all others. While still 'hackable' the chances of you finding someone interested in your phone on a random wifi network is pretty slim. Do a locking down linix search, there are tons of tutorials.
    2009-10-16 03:20 PM
    ok great stuff i will do . I will agree then that there is not much use to having the icon for ssh then but we are all in agreement that it existed ?

cause i know it did
    2009-10-16 07:10 PM
22 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD