A ways back, I decided for some reason that I just couldn't wait for 3.0 to come out so I purchased a Developer account from apple...

Here I am, I've been stupid again and I've updated to 3.1.2...

I keep reading around, and I know that Jailbreaking will be available again soon, however, here's some food for thought...

WHAT IF-
    I managed to get my hands on say... Cycorder, and wanted to open it in Xcode and port it to my iPhone 3G...

The question is, does someone have any idea what format these jailbroken apps are in? My Mac is calling them a "document"... why are they not in ipa or app format?

also, can someone get their hands on the original build files so that I might port them to my phone without Jailbreaking?

I got over re-hacking my phone for every update a long time ago.
    2009-10-09 12:47 PM
    if you want to port anything to anything, you need the source code. jailbroken apps are probably written in some sort of C (I'm not that much of an expert, I don't know if they are written in Objective-C (cocoa touch) or maybe C++)
    you cannot compile them as official appstore apps. you need to compile the toolchain and stuff like that and then you can compile them as jailbreak apps ... though I don't see why you would do that?

and they ARE .app files, when compiled, but the .app thing won't help you anything.

edit: oh, I just got what you are trying to do. No that doesn't work. if cycorder was codeable as an official app, it probably would have been coded as an official app :-)
    2009-10-09 01:35 PM
    if you want to port anything to anything, you need the source code. jailbroken apps are probably written in some sort of C (I'm not that much of an expert, I don't know if they are written in Objective-C (cocoa touch) or maybe C++)
    you cannot compile them as official appstore apps. you need to compile the toolchain and stuff like that and then you can compile them as jailbreak apps ... though I don't see why you would do that?

and they ARE .app files, when compiled, but the .app thing won't help you anything.

edit: oh, I just got what you are trying to do. No that doesn't work. if cycorder was codeable as an official app, it probably would have been coded as an official app :-)

Thanks for your quick reply!

As I understand it, .ipa format is basically just another ZIP file... Change the extension and voila you have your app files...

Until about 8 this morning I was messing around with the files inside the CYDIA installer package... attempting to port it using the SDK...

I got about 90 percent of the way, and then bam. I need a damn certificate from apple...

I tried using one from another app, but as usual, with digital signing, that didn't work... I'm pretty sure that Apple doesn't want me doing this... lol

I am going to keep on this though... I think it's possible, I mean... I don't think Jailbreaking opens the iphone to any crazy coding that I can't understand... Other than the Jailbroken SDK... I mean, a Jailbroken restore file for an iphone is only a mere 10 megs more than the original...

Please get back to me if you (or anyone else) has any crazy ideas... I'm pretty knowledgeable about all this...

-Mr. T
    2009-10-09 08:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD