Has anyone done/attempted to overclock and get some more speed out of their iPhone?

What was the end result? Would anyone recommend it if it can be done? Thanks for the input.
    2009-10-16 06:25 PM
    Umm you kinda add like a thing to increase a ram onto it thats what i understand of what it does its call iphonevw ir i can remember right but i could be wrong about the whole thing but its worth to try if this works
    2009-10-16 07:30 PM
    After overclocking my iphone to 533mhz ( almost positive, have been playing gangstar in swap mode and it does not freeze!! perfectly smooth)), without swap mode game is very fast but it still crashed due to low memory!!) and then installing swap mode i was f**** amazed at how well it works. Finally after days of searching how to overclock my iphone i did it myself. By camparing the scripts of what i downloaded off rapidshare and the original one on my phones (("" /System/Library/SystemConfiguration/Powe rManagement.bundle/com.apple.SystemPower ProfileDefaults.plist "" )) they were the same. And the only numbers were 457, so i changed them to 533( i read on a forum somewhere that 533 shouldt affect battery life substantially, also the iphone 3g is major underclocked in the first place.

YouTube - Overclock iPhone 3G
    (how to overclock your iphone)
    !!! This video is from what i can tell not actually overclocking! He replaces it with the same thing.However, Watch this video to be able to find the .plist

(((com.apple.SystemPowerProfileDefaults.plist)))

Important!!!!!-- then copy the original onto your desktop. Open the one in disk aid with text edit, at the bottom right u will see bplist00 etc. find the number 457 and change it to 533( that's what i used) isn't really that risky, if anything just throw back in the original file
    Then
    watch this video showing you how swapmode works!

YouTube - How to use SwapMode SpringBack on the iPhone
    ("How to use swapmode and spring back on the iphone") ---I recommend using universal search off cydia sinful apps instead of Quickgold.

Really recommend trying to overclock iphone, 533 is a really safe number from what i have been reading, can go alot higher!

Mind you I am no expert but i have had no problems thus far, been a few days playing sandstorm, ganstar, sims 3!

Hope someoe can reply to this and tell me how i can read my iphones cpu , ram etc.
    Please comment !!!

(This isn't my work, this was posted by iphonez4 on sinfuliphone)
    The only thing I ask in return for helping, is that you click the thanks button, Thanks!
    2009-10-16 07:48 PM
    Thanks Pimp...may have to put that on my to do list for the weekend.
    2009-10-16 08:10 PM
    I never tried it, but I would not overclock the iphone. the hardware of such small devices often suffers heat issues. if you overclock the phone, you could easily damage your phone permanently. I notice my 3GS getting PRETTY hot when I play games for half an hour or something. I wouldn't want it to get even hotter than it does now.
    Often, these devices operate on the maximum heat they can, it's the same with notebooks.

I wouldn't risk it.
    2009-10-16 08:50 PM
    3GS Iphones have a heat issue it has to do with the battery and screen not the CPU. In a standard 3G the main heat source is the screen.

Clocking the CPU up to 533 in a 3G doesn't cause the phone to heat up because the CPU is currently MAJORLY underclocked. It could be a problem in the 3GS as it already has a heat issue.
    2009-10-16 09:37 PM
    3GS Iphones have a heat issue it has to do with the battery and screen not the CPU. In a standard 3G the main heat source is the screen.

Clocking the CPU up to 533 in a 3G doesn't cause the phone to heat up because the CPU is currently MAJORLY underclocked. It could be a problem in the 3GS as it already has a heat issue.
    no, because the same thing happens on my 2G ... I'm not saying that it WILL damage the phone permanently, I'm just saying it COULD, as the cpu is one of the major heat-producing elements in a computer (trust me, they get really hot. but you're correct by saying the screen gets pretty hot too). I'm just saying I wouldn't risk it ... . I mean did you ever think about that apple might have underclocked the cpu because otherwise it'd get too hot? besides it using lots of battery of course ...
    Last edited by BlackWolf; 2009-10-16 at 09:52 PM.
    2009-10-16 09:48 PM
    I concede the battery life will be reduced but I have tested the heat of the CPU on the 2G and 3G iPhone overclocked and not, the difference is marginal at the worst and best of times. You have to remember your NOT clocking it to standard or really over-clocking the CPU on the Iphone at all as its still under the factory settings for the chip.

P.S. The fact your 2G is overheating is strange as mine never has. what are you running when you notice it?

BTW I build computers so I know all about CPU's and heat issues even in a computer the main component that generates heat is your high-end graphic cards. yes the CPU gets hot FAST but not nearly as hot as the HDs or Graphic card, It just cant stand the heat as well is all.
    Last edited by Trixter69; 2009-10-16 at 10:11 PM.
    2009-10-16 10:06 PM
    I concede the battery life will be reduced but I have tested the heat of the CPU on the 2G and 3G iPhone overclocked and not, the difference is marginal at the worst and best of times. You have to remember your NOT clocking it to standard or really over-clocking the CPU on the Iphone at all as its still under the factory settings for the chip.

P.S. The fact your 2G is overheating is strange as mine never has. what are you running when you notice it?

BTW I build computers so I know all about CPU's and heat issues even in a computer the main component that generates heat is your high-end graphic cards. yes the CPU gets hot FAST but not nearly as hot as the HDs or Graphic card, It just cant stand the heat as well is all.
    true, graphic cards get even hotter ;-)
    as for the 2G ... it's pretty much the same as the 3G and 3GS. screen can get pretty hot, wifi receiver can get pretty hot and cpu can get pretty hot as well (at least the back get's pretty warm, I suppose it's the cpu) ... though I admit my 3GS gets hotter than my 2G
    2009-10-16 10:19 PM
    ah the thing you feel getting hot at the back is the battery not the CPU. the battery's in the middle of the iPhone, the CPU it on the bottom.
    2009-10-16 10:39 PM
    Like the battery doesn't suck enough......
    2009-10-16 11:34 PM
    This worked for me. I changed mine to 550 downloaded the file from rapidshare (had to change from 457 to 550) SSH to the correct file location rebooted and I can't believe it buts it's faster.

Serious I can't believe how much faster it is.
    Last edited by glowell; 2009-10-17 at 12:42 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2009-10-17 12:42 AM
    Got the file but I can't find the line to change the numbers? I don't see a bplist...

Okay I found it. Installed it and used sysinfoplus app from cydia to check the cpu speed. Still the same after the file mod at 412MHz on a 1G iphone. Can't say if it runs any faster since I just restore my phone with no apps installed and deleted the daemon files and language pack files.
    Last edited by duceduc; 2009-10-17 at 05:27 AM.
    2009-10-17 04:41 AM
    So with all of the mixed messages I'm wondering what to do. Obviously don't want to screw up the phone. But some extra speed would be nice. THanks for all of the input everyone.
    2009-10-17 07:51 PM
    Do you have to download the file or just change the text?

I'm confused..when looking at both files they are the same? What is supposed to be edited?
    Last edited by SAVAGE5; 2009-10-17 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    i5-

Long time reader. I don't care if you have 1 million post.
    2009-10-17 08:20 PM
    I am was a bit confuse myself. I used an actual program to read the file but could not find the '457', than I used notepad. With this, I was able to read it correctly but managed to find the numbers. Not sure if I did it correctly though.

Just use your own file & backup the orignal.
    2009-10-18 12:54 AM
    OK, stupid question, how do you check to make sure it is running at the speed you set it to?
    2009-10-18 02:58 AM
    I use sysinfoplus app from cydia.
    2009-10-18 06:10 AM
    Weird...3GS files say 437 but should be 600 if I'm not mistaken right?
    i5-

Long time reader. I don't care if you have 1 million post.
    2009-10-18 07:07 AM
    After making the changes shown in this thread, mine is still showing as 412, or am I just reading it wrong?

Attached Thumbnails Overclocking my iPHone-img_0367-1-.png  
    2009-10-18 07:38 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD