User Tag List

Just a quick easy question for someone.
    How do I transfer downloads,themes from my puter to my iPhone?

THANK YOU
    2009-11-06 09:35 AM
    You'll probably want to go through OpenSSH.
    I'm assuming that your iPhone is jailbroken, and that you have already downloaded OpenSSH. (If not, it's in Cydia, just search it.)

There are already tons of tuts for OpenSSH connections. I will still post this tutorial, but next time please utilize the search feature.

You'll be doing the transfer through the network, not through USB, so you'll want to be on the same Wi-Fi network.

I've put the iPhone to sleep, and it maintains the connection. I'm not sure for how long, but it seemed to keep the connection live.

Moving on, you'll want an ftp client for one of your machines. (FuGu for Mac, or WinSCP/FileZilla for Windows.)
    People say you need an SCP client, but I've gotten this to work perfectly fine through the SFTP setting and port 22.

Now you'll want to open up that client on your machine and type in your iPhone's local ip address or DNS name. (You can find the IP address out by going to Settings>WiFi Network>Network Name Arrow (>) the one that says "IP Address")

You'll enter the IP address as the Host. The username is "root" make sure to specify Port 22 and the SFTP protocol. (No need on Fugu)

Now you'll want to authenticate with the password: "alpine"

Now you're in! I'll do more searching to find the exact directories for themes and such.

UPDATE:] I did some digging and thanks to Melech518 in this post:

SSHing winterboard theme into proper directory using Cyberduck

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Then you will need to open up Stash:

Next open up Themes.*******:

Just drag and drop your theme into this folder

Next open up Winterboard and enable the theme.....

Respond with any questions,
    Artur
    Last edited by playful_cyanide; 2009-11-07 at 05:53 AM. Reason: Added Screenies + Tutorial straight from SEARCH FUNCTION
    Don't forget to hit
    Get your custom MMi Signature's here!

Join the MMi \/\/AVE experience

2009-11-06 10:01 AM
    very good job.
    2009-11-06 12:00 PM
    I personally dont like using SSH.. one, for the most recent hack against JB'd phones.. second is the autolock.. and its just clumsy, but i guess that depends on the client you are using..

I found using a program call iFunbox works perfectly.. plug in iphone and run the app.. full gui for moving files back and forth, plus bookmarks and simple access to things like adding new wallpapers etc.. its a very small app that runs right from the exe, no installing anything.. worth trying out.
    2009-11-06 03:38 PM
    how do you use ifunbox
    2009-11-06 05:13 PM
    its a small exe... download to your computer, connect iPhone with sync cable, run app... you then have the same access to everything you would with SSH but wired (faster)and with some features that make life easier..

Its incredibly simple.. http://www.i-funbox.com/ tho i will mention that it was made for older FW so somethings no longer work like accessing itunes thru the app..

although.. you need a small app from cydia now that i think about it.. afc2add.. allows access to root folder..
    Last edited by pbateman420; 2009-11-06 at 06:59 PM.
    2009-11-06 06:41 PM
    kind of worked out to put the themes on phone via ifunbox but then it said i had to use openssh+winscp to change some settings
    god knows how to do that

so how do i change the file permission
    Last edited by ctazyjas; 2009-11-06 at 06:50 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2009-11-06 06:50 PM
    i would imagine right-click the folder and look for properties or something similar.. not at home to check for sure.. I didnt have to do anything like that tho
    2009-11-06 07:14 PM
    now if I had a mac I would know the folders whereabouts and the diff files.
    Sadly my Pro is in L.A. and I am working off a windblows shitsta OS.
    PLEASE any guides in Win. so I can do this proper?
    I too have had issues w/ openssh and cant risk my new 32GB 3Gs. Should I wait till I get back to Cali to do this to avoid problems?

THANKS ALOT
    Last edited by djjessejames; 2009-11-06 at 09:38 PM.
    2009-11-06 09:35 PM
    now if I had a mac I would know the folders whereabouts and the diff files.
    Sadly my Pro is in L.A. and I am working off a windblows shitsta OS.
    PLEASE any guides in Win. so I can do this proper?
    I too have had issues w/ openssh and cant risk my new 32GB 3Gs. Should I wait till I get back to Cali to do this to avoid problems?

THANKS ALOT

Use iFunbox for Windows. I would have posted a tut for USB transfers, but there are just too many variations to post one universal tutorial. Connecting the iPhone to the program shouldn't be a problem. Just remember to place the themes into that directory (mentioned in my first reply.)

Hope it works,
    Artur
    Don't forget to hit
    Get your custom MMi Signature's here!

Join the MMi \/\/AVE experience

2009-11-07 05:52 AM
    iphonebrowser. i think its the best.
    2009-11-08 12:29 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD