User Tag List

Hopefully I posted this in the right forum.

So I switched from my 2G iPhone to an iPhone 3GS around the beginning of July. When I heard that the iPhone 3GS has the oleophobic screen, I thought that was just like a screen protector (I was wrong).

I've been using my iPhone with care since I opened it, but even after such careful use, I've managed to get some small scratches. I can't feel the scratches, but it shows the rainbow streaks, especially against white backgrounds.

My questions are as follows:

1. Will Apple fix / replace the phone?

2. If they won't fix / replace the phone, is there any way of removing / hiding the scratch?

3. Should I hide any evidence of the phone being jailbroken before going to Apple (restore)?

After all this mess, I'm going to buy an Invisible Shield or something similar.
    2009-12-02 07:36 AM
    1. Most likely they will not "fix" the screen for you. Assuming everything else is working properly they will deem those scratches as purely cosmetic. The only way they will swap it out for you is there is a functionality issue.

2. Although there are several claims that there are scratch removing treatments, I wouldn't use any of them on my iPhone screen.

3. Yes, I would always recommend restoring to a stock Apple firmware before taking it to Apple. If they see any evidence that it has been jailbroken they can refuse service.

There is always an option to replace the screen yourself. It would run you approximately $20-$25 for a new digitizer.
    2009-12-02 03:07 PM
    What iUiPodRepair is incorrect. I've brought my 3G iPhone with a cracked back and they replaced it free of charge. Right then and there. I would need a picture to be sure but if you're explaing what I think it is then they will replace it.

1. They will not fix it, they will REPLACE IT. FREE
    2. Don't try I already have, they don't work.
    3. Always always restore to newest firmware before taking it to the Apple Store. Jailbreak = warranty void
    Last edited by dvn821; 2009-12-02 at 09:35 PM.
    If I helped thank me!
    2009-12-02 09:28 PM
    1. no
    2. idk
    3. yes
    2009-12-02 10:38 PM
    What iUiPodRepair is incorrect. I've brought my 3G iPhone with a cracked back and they replaced it free of charge. Right then and there. I would need a picture to be sure but if you're explaing what I think it is then they will replace it.

1. They will not fix it, they will REPLACE IT. FREE
    2. Don't try I already have, they don't work.
    3. Always always restore to newest firmware before taking it to the Apple Store. Jailbreak = warranty void
    You did not pay much attention to the original post. He is talking about his screen getting scratched. This is due to wear and tear and not covered under Apples warranty. Like iUiPodRepair said, they will not replace the phone under the reason you are requesting a replacement. The only way you would receive a replacement is if there were other issues going on with the phone. Do not ask us how to cheat Apple please as we will not help you. If you want to replace the digitizer you can, it is easy to do yourself and there are guided in the Guides section on how to do so. I would recommend using an OEM part however rather than anything aftermarket. And yes, if you go to Apple always restore your phone to its original settings first.

@dvn821- Your iPhone was replaced because the back housing was cracked. There are certain protocols in place for replacing an iphone if the housing begins to crack in known areas. If you have the 3GS, they tend to crack a lot easier than the previous models. They are made from a slightly thinner resin mold than the previous 3G. Most housings cracks covered under warranty are located near or around the dock connector and vibrate/volume switches.
    Last edited by Melech518; 2009-12-02 at 10:50 PM.
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME
    2009-12-02 10:45 PM
    Well, I'm going to the Apple Store on Friday to see what they'll do. It's worth a shot, so what the hell.

In the most likely scenario that Apple won't do anything, this brings up more questions:

1. Where can I get a cheap new screen (preferably OEM)? I know a guy who could replace it as long as I have the screen.

2. Would any kind of screen protector, such as the invisibleSHIELD, hide the "rainbows"?

3. Is it possible to remove the oleophobic coating, as that seems to be the culprit? According to Apple's iPhone 3GS Service FAQ, "[the] protective coatings designed to diminish over time" (http://images.apple.com/legal/warran...S_warranty.pdf). I wouldn't try this unless all else fails.

UPDATE: The screen works fine; it's just the somewhat-deep scratches on the oleophobic coating that's annoying me. So would something like this work: http://www.b2cphoneaccessories.com/p...oducts_id=3726 ?
    Last edited by (Name Here); 2009-12-03 at 04:27 AM.
    2009-12-03 04:08 AM
    Have to agree. Although I hate the invisible shields mainly because they tend to turn yellow after long term use, they are great for filling in scratches. I first noticed this in my BlackBerry days. I had a scuffed to hell screen on my curve and then decided to put the invisible shield on it. Sure enough all the scratches seemed to disappear.

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    2009-12-03 05:41 AM
    @ Rota

Thanks for the tip. I think when I go to the Apple Store, I'm going to get the Power Support Antiglare, and hopefully they'll be nice and install it for me (I could never install them either).

Should I still restore / hide anything that would make the iPhone look jailbroken before going to Apple, or would it not be that much of an issue?
    2009-12-03 05:53 AM
    I would just use SBSettings to hide all of your JB apps.

2009-12-03 06:27 AM
    If you are just asking them to put a screen protector on for you, would it matter if you are jailbroken? If you are that paranoid, I'd say to install SwapMode from cydia, it disables MS extensions, providing a stock look. They may or may not be jerks about it- I don't know, I've never asked them to put something like that on for me.
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream!
    2009-12-03 06:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD