Hi all,

Title pretty much says it all. My brother gave me his old iPhone 3G, claiming the wifi broke down after he jailbroke it using blackra1n, which i doubt since I have jailbroken my iTouch using blackra1n without problems. Basically, the phone won't connect to Wifi networks at all, it does not even spot them on the network list. I have a wifi network at home and my laptop and 2G iPod Touch all connect to it fine, i've even tried putting the iPhone right beside the router with no luck. And yes, before you tell me, Wifi IS turned on, tyvm. I am running firmware 3.1.2, jailbroken using redsn0w. I have already tried a full reset and restore, which has not worked either. I also tried resetting the Network Settings, which did not work either. Is my wifi antenna damaged? The iPhone has been wearing a case all its life and there are no signs of droppage (no dents, no cracks, no scratches, etc.) on the device, so i don't think dropping it caused the wifi antenna damage.

I don't think it's a router problem since my iPod Touch (also jailbroken, running 3.1.2 firmware) works perfectly. If it helps, my router brand is the Linksys WR54G, running wireless 802.11a/b/g

Basically, my last option is to take it to an Apple store, but it's out of warranty so I would have to pay for the replacement myself.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance

-CM
    2010-04-02 07:04 AM
    Have you tried resetting wifi settings in
    settings-general-reset-reset network?
    2010-04-02 08:22 AM
    I also tried resetting the Network Settings, which did not work either.
    Yup. ):
    2010-04-02 08:24 AM
    Restore the phone COMPLETELY and jailbreak with redsn0w. No issues with that. (And make sure you use 3.1.2 IPSW, check my sig if you don't have it.)
    2010-04-02 05:54 PM
    I am running firmware 3.1.2, jailbroken using redsn0w. I have already tried a full reset and restore, which has not worked either.
    Tried that. ):
    2010-04-02 08:27 PM
    Same problem.. and I've posted on a billion other forums with no resolution either.. I've restored and reset and downgraded firmware (problem started with 3.1.3) all the way back to 3.0 and I still can't find wifi networks. My phone reception goes in and out as well.. I'm about to try the "freezer method" which will definitely tell me if it's a hardware issue.
    I'll let you know how that goes.
    2010-04-02 10:15 PM
    Try activating with ATT sim
    2010-04-03 05:11 AM
    Freezer method? What's that..?

I contacted a repair service, I'm bringing in the iPhone on Sunday for diagnostics (they probably won't find out past what I already know) and i'm throwing down $40 for a new Wifi antenna if the worst is true. I'll let you guys know what happens.
    2010-04-03 08:06 AM
    I have same problem here too with my 3gs the wifi and location was working fine till some time ago. No more wifi and the location is not accurate. What can i do?
    2010-04-03 02:29 PM
    Freezer method? What's that..?

I contacted a repair service, I'm bringing in the iPhone on Sunday for diagnostics (they probably won't find out past what I already know) and i'm throwing down $40 for a new Wifi antenna if the worst is true. I'll let you guys know what happens.
    Yea apparently if you stick the thing in the freezer for a half hour or so it's supposed to make the wifi work... but the more I thought about the more I think I can fix this.
    I took my phone apart last light and found the wifi antenna but it doesn't look damaged at all but at least I do know how to replace it now and it's a pretty cheap part.. Only bad thing is it's literally the absolute very last part in the disassembling process haha.. Hard to remember which screws go where when you put it back together :P

I'm not exactly sure where you're getting your part from but it shouldn't be more than like $10

Try activating with ATT sim
    Tried this as well.. I got phone service (in an out) but still no wifi
    It's gotta be the hardware
    Last edited by BeufordRULES; 2010-04-03 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-04-03 07:26 PM
    I have replaced the wifi antenna in 3G iphone but still no sucess, It finds my network and even after entering the correct network password, it keeps saying incorrect password, reenter?

I am really sick of this as I have no phone and no wifi use. Anyone with bright ideaas to what is the problem?

Iphone hardware is cheap plastic attched with glue.
    2010-10-27 05:45 PM
    I've kind of somewhat pin pointed the problem with this issue. Most likely it's either you have an older dated router that's not compatible with the nowadays newer wifi technology or you have a non data sim card in your iphone.. Another one would be that the 3g or 3gs iphone got tested with a non data sim card that messed it all up. I would say the only way in that situation would be to activate it with a data planned sim card account than call your phone company tech support line, they need to reset something that has to do with your sim being data enabled, and only they can do it not apple or any top notch iphone hacker. This is actually the only fix I know of to people having mms errors with mms compatible iphones.. So I'm guessing it could be related too.. Plus I've tested non data sim cards on 3G iphones & usually depending on the router Wifi usually either stays with newer dated models... and will almost all the time cut in & out never holding a steady wifi connection with older dated routers.. hope this gives you some kind of answer to solving it..
    Last edited by OMG; 2010-10-27 at 08:31 PM.
    2010-10-27 08:26 PM
    I've kind of somewhat pin pointed the problem with this issue. Most likely it's either you have an older dated router that's not compatible with the nowadays newer wifi technology or you have a non data sim card in your iphone.. Another one would be that the 3g or 3gs iphone got tested with a non data sim card that messed it all up. I would say the only way in that situation would be to activate it with a data planned sim card account than call your phone company tech support line, they need to reset something that has to do with your sim being data enabled, and only they can do it not apple or any top notch iphone hacker. This is actually the only fix I know of to people having mms errors with mms compatible iphones.. So I'm guessing it could be related too.. Plus I've tested non data sim cards on 3G iphones & usually depending on the router Wifi usually either stays with newer dated models... and will almost all the time cut in & out never holding a steady wifi connection with older dated routers.. hope this gives you some kind of answer to solving it..
    Thanks for your input. I have got another 3G and 3gs iphones they all work fine with the same router [Linksys] . I would like to put the Mb into the oven and heat for 7 minutes, then see if it works.
    2010-10-29 04:54 PM
    Quick thought: make sure Settings>General>Network>Data Roaming is off.
    2010-11-01 04:05 PM
    Thank you Johnnytucats,

I got it to work by connecting the iphone using usb cable and then used Windows 7 explorer, to brouse file on iphone. I also used ping at cnd prompt, it changed funny ip address which I could see using SB setting. Doing ping a few times got me a correct ip address for the phone and the inter net works fine. I am sorry I cann't explain any better.
    2010-11-02 06:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD