User Tag List

I just purchased used 3G 16GB relatively cheap on ebay and will try to unlock and at least jailbreak. However, the best strategies depend on the loaded OS, modem firmware, and bootloader versions. The seller is clueless (pawnshop) and based on my experience with 2G phones with OS 3+ the old trick *3001#12345#* doesn't work anymore. I tried the USB properties in device manager (windows) trick while iphone is in DFU on one of my unlocked 2G iphones, but that resulted in a need to restore and re-unlock the phone and I would like to avoid unnecessary restore in the 3G (in case it is not 3.1.3).

Will I enter the iphone's settings if I use my friend's iphone AT&T SIM? I'm opened for any suggestions as my experience is only with 2G.

2010-06-02 07:37 AM
    just jailbreak the 3g and the emergency window will be gone and you will be at your springboard. no big deal yo. spirit or blackrain should do the trick
    Hey! A Restore Never Hurts It's True!
    2010-06-02 10:50 PM
    As it's a 3G phone, you can restore to any version you'd like so you're not risking anything if you just stick to OS versions at 3.1.2 and below. The best option would be to restore to 3.0.x as the phone might still have baseband 04.26.08 which is preferable to the one that comes with OS 3.1+

Conclusion, restore to 3.0 and jailbreak with redsn0w then unlock with whatever fits the baseband version. If the restore fails with a 1015 error, you know it has OS 3.1+ installed. You can then try restoring to 3.1.2, if you get error 1015 again, you'll know it has a baseband that isn't unlockable (error 1015 is when you try to restore to a firmware that has a lower baseband version than the one installed on the phone).
    2010-06-04 06:52 PM
    download forecast1.1 by snowbreeze connect phone it will let you know if you device is jailbreakable your baseband info bootloader model and if it is unlockable.
    Last edited by bigbigd4u; 2010-06-05 at 07:24 AM. Reason: more info
    2010-06-05 06:58 AM