Hey guys, I wanted to say hi before just getting into my questions. I have been a hardcore BlackBerry user for about two years and was the owner of BlackBerryOS.com. Due to me finally realizing BlackBerry has dug their own grave and not going to be able to get themselves out, I sold BlackBerryOS. Last week I was sitting at my desk playing around with my other BB device (Tour) and just got sick of it and literally got up and went to AT&T for the iPhone. As a past BB user I always had something negative to say about the iPhone..Well, I'm pretty dumb for doing that. I have not put this phone down yet. I love it. It's like BlackBerry devices are a honda and the iPhone is a porche. I just love it now! Wish I went iPhone prior to BB.

Anyways...There was a time when there was also a new OS to update your BB with and I kinda miss that feeling. So my question is, can I load this new 4.0 OS on the 3GS? Or is the 4.0 OS strictly coded for use with the iPhone 4 and not prior models?

Also, what are some "have to do's" to make my device that much better then it already is. Any need to have apps? mods?

Thanks in advanced guys! I'll be aruond here more often now.
    2010-06-08 05:47 AM
    Jailbreak it to make it much better. That is step one.

Also 4.0 will be for all devices minus the 2g. But some of the non iPhone 4 devices will not get all the features that are new in 4.0.
    [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]
    2010-06-08 05:59 AM
    Thanks cerote,

While jailbreaking it makes it much better, are there any downfalls to jailbreaking?
    2010-06-08 06:05 AM
    Don't take your phone in for repairs while jailbroken. Restore to normal firmware. That is about all I can think of. Also if you for some reason HAVE to install SSH change the passwords for the users. But on a normal day to day you probably won't install SSH.
    [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]
    2010-06-08 06:46 AM
    The only bad thing about jailbreaking is if u install too much tweaks and stuff. Battery life could decrease. But ull be fine.

Jailbreaking makes the iPhone so much better.
    2010-06-08 06:50 AM
    Best Game: Glass Tower 2

Oh and if you Jailbreak it and you have blanks MAKE SURE TO DELETE THEM IF U GO BACK!!
    Last edited by Phillies2606; 2010-06-08 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-06-08 09:14 AM
    Best Game: Glass Tower 2

Oh and if you Jailbreak it and you have blanks MAKE SURE TO DELETE THEM IF U GO BACK!!
    yeah I didn't do that what a pain that was!

I wish I had a miniature elephant that fit in the palm of my hand. I would pick him up and he'd lift up his trunk and stand on his back legs and say PRRRRRRRRRRRRMMMMMMMMMPPPPPPPPPHHHHHHHH and I would say yes little elephant i love you too.
    2010-06-08 09:33 AM
    Lol the jailbroken iPhone is what an iPhone should be. And as long as u don't have tomany mobile substrate ad ons your battery life should be fine
    2010-06-08 09:07 PM
    I hate to ask this but can anyone link to me a how to guide for jail breaking the 3GS. I've looked but I am confused as to which "software" to use.

3.1.3 firmware 5.12.01
    Last edited by brettxw; 2010-06-14 at 02:58 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-06-14 02:58 AM
    I hate to ask this but can anyone link to me a how to guide for jail breaking the 3GS. I've looked but I am confused as to which "software" to use.

3.1.3 firmware 5.12.01
    Here you go.

Spirit with a guide to help you along Jailbreak iPhone 3GS 3.1.3 with Spirit Untethered | Redmond Pie
    This post infers no rights and is provided as is.

Click here to follow me on twitter
    2010-06-14 03:06 AM
    If for some reason Spirit doesn't work quite right you may have to set it to Windows 95 Compatibility mode. Right click the exe and select properties. Then switch the compatibility mode. You may not have to do it seeing as how you use Vista, but I had to do it on my Win 7 64bit machine.

Must haves?
    SBsettings...it gives you instant access to commonly used toggles such as airplane mode, wifi, bluetooth, brightness, location, with a swipe of your finger across the status bar(where your carrier, time, and battery are displayed) instead of having to dig down into the Settings app.
    Categories...lets you create folders to organize your apps with so you don't have 50 apps to scroll through. This will be stock in 4.0, but I will still use the jailbroken version anyways.
    MyWi...turns your iPhone into a mobile hotspot so you can tether your phone to your computer.
    Unrestrictor 3G...lets you download apps on your phone that are over 20MB. By default they have to be downloaded via iTunes and sync'd over to the phone.
    Winterboard...allows you to get rid of the hideous stock theme and skin your Springboard with hundreds of other themes that have been created by the community.
    iRealSMS...is texting from within any app without having to exit out of the app to start a text or reply to one. It works from your lockscreen as well.
    2010-06-14 04:48 AM
    i love irealSMS its def top5 best apps ever released for the iphone
    Hey! A Restore Never Hurts It's True!
    2010-06-14 07:12 PM
    Ok, so I ran Spirit and it says it successfully worked. How do I know or check to verify that it really is? Also, the apps listed above, I am assuming I can not get them from the app store?

WOW! I LOVE the whiteboard app! Makes my screen look SO much better! I installed the SMS app but not really able to work with it at the moment. Def see a difference since jailbreaking! Thanks guys for all your help!
    Last edited by brettxw; 2010-06-14 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-06-14 10:25 PM
    cydia is the jailbroken version of the app store. and it rocks! winterboard does a lot of wonderfull things. poof is another good app, it hides icons you dont want on your springboard. i hide itunes store and stocks i have no use those things
    Hey! A Restore Never Hurts It's True!
    2010-06-15 02:51 AM
    sbsettings a must have Welcome to the iphone community!
    2010-06-15 07:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD