I currently have an Iphone 3g running IOS-3.0 with 5.0 carrier settings allowing me to internet tether without jailbreak. I use this feature at least once a week, but not often enough to want to pay ATT monthly for it. I'm grandfathered in on the "unlimited" data plan as well.

My question is, will I be able to get around the paid tethering once I get an Iphone 4? I realize that there may be a jailbreak, and then tethering will be easier to do, but is there another difference between a 3g and the iphone 4 that prevents tethering without paying ATT every month for it? If there is, i'm thinking about keeping my 3g so I can at least use it on trips where I know i won't have a wifi connection for my laptop. Thanks
    2010-07-02 04:20 PM
    You wont be able to use the carrier settings in ios4. Which is what the iphone 4 is running.

The only way to get around it is with a jailbreak.

My advise, keep the 3g around for tethering, once the iphone 4 is jailbroken, grab mywi and you'll be go to go.
    The only thing I ask in return for helping, is that you click the thanks button, Thanks!
    2010-07-02 06:13 PM
    Using my 3g for tethering would be a pain wouldn't it? Since the iphone 4 uses microsims instead of minisims
    2010-07-05 09:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD