I wasn't quite sure where to post this so I decided on iPhone Modding.
    I just wanted to share my audio quality oriented iPhone 4 setup. Monster Turbine Pro Gold ear buds with ControlTalk and iBasso T3D High Definition Headphone Amplifier.
    Monster is mostly known for overpriced crap but their Turbine line of in-ear buds are the real deal. $300 is a lot to spend on ear buds but you'd have a hard time finding a better sounding set at a similar price. The iBasso T3D is a lower-end headphone amp ($135) as far as headphone amps go but it is still much better than the stock iPhone headphone out. It adds some kick to the mids and makes it where the highs don't give me a headache. It also gives the bass some much needed impact. It's also one of the smallest portable headphones amps available. Comparable in size to a Zippo lighter except about a 1/4 inch taller.
    This setup is good for only one thing: listening to music! As you can see in the pictures, it looks kinda ridiculous and makes the phone pretty difficult to handle and use. It does all still fit in the Otterbox Defenders included holster, which is pretty nice. Although I wouldn't lug this brick around with me all the time, it is nice to have when I want to do a little serious listening and still retains some form of portability.
    I've been re-ripping most of my favorite CDs in Apple Lossless and it also helps tremendously! It does kinda suck not being able to carry my whole music library with me though (32gb iPhone).
    So, if any of you guys would like to share your setup and or pics, please do! Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails The Audiophiles iPhone Thread-img_0845.jpg   The Audiophiles iPhone Thread-img_0846.jpg   The Audiophiles iPhone Thread-img_0848.jpg   The Audiophiles iPhone Thread-img_0849.jpg   The Audiophiles iPhone Thread-img_0850.jpg   The Audiophiles iPhone Thread-img_0851.jpg  
    2010-08-06 05:59 AM
    Wow this thread really turned out to be a dud! It's a shame, I had high hopes for this thread :P. CMON PEOPLE!! Doesn't anyone care about listening to high quality music out of their iDevice? High end headphones? Amps? Lets see em!
    2010-08-11 12:53 AM
    I've never heard of monster before the dre stuff so I bet urs sound great. My pal has the tour I think they called and they are amazing but 150 is tooooo much even tho I earn twice as much as him. If on a budget the best I've heard are the iluv buds. I got a few pairs now from my local tk maxx and they r awesome for 7.99, they even sound much better than my 60 Panasonic buds.
    2010-08-11 11:53 PM
    wow this thread really turned out to be a dud! It's a shame, i had high hopes for this thread . Cmon people!! Doesn't anyone care about listening to high quality music out of their idevice? High end headphones? Amps? Lets see em!
    it's a phone.
    2010-08-12 12:05 AM
    it's a phone.
    Thank you I gathered that much. With a post count exceeding 5,500, you sure have a lot to say about something that's just a phone. If it were just a phone, this very website wouldn't even exist!
    2010-08-12 12:33 AM
    You'd think by NO ONE responding to your flop failure of a thread you'd gather IT'S just a PHONE.

*looks around* Crickets.............. Yep I apparently learned something in 5500 posts.
    2010-08-12 12:59 AM
    Negative. I just gathered that most people are content with listening to low bitrate MP3s out of their white ear buds.
    2010-08-12 01:07 AM
    Dont let one1 get you down. I haven't got $500 to splash out but I do have Dr Dre Tour Beats and my sister owns the Lady Gaga ones. We bought them for 50 pounds all together in HKG so it's a good deal. Nevertheless from what I have read in the review the Turbines are great and props for spending that much on sound!
    2010-08-12 01:59 AM
    Negative. I just gathered that most people are content with listening to low bitrate MP3s out of their white ear buds.
    and yet a third time that makes you the ONLY ONE, meaning it's just a phone to everyone else. You're literally busting your own balls here.
    2010-08-12 02:29 AM
    It's funny. The Dre Tours are what got me started in my search for portable audio bliss. I bought a set of them on amazon for $50. Only to find out they were counterfeit! Luckily I was able to return them for a refund. After that I started searching around and found that counterfeiting is a major issue with Monsters more popular headphones. That's why I sprung for the way more expensive but as of yet to be counterfeited Turbine Pro Golds. I should mention that I didn't actually pay $300 for them. I got them from onecall.com (a trusted and authorized Monster reseller) for far less than their MSRP. I got the amp used on head-fi.org for $115. I've since sold the amp on head-fi for exactly what I paid for it. I'm also in the process of selling my 32GB 3GS unlocked on eBay. I'll use that money to buy a stupidly expensive high end potable headphone amplifier. More specifically, a RSA Predator. Once again, used and far less than it's $475 MSRP. The thing about these RSA amps is that they have a lifetime warranty that transfers to an unlimited number of owners. So even 2nd and 3rd hand owners retain the lifetime warranty! I'll post pics and impressions once all is said and done.
    2010-08-12 02:32 AM
    cory gillmore - you're not going to find a lot of audiophiles posting in this forum...at least i haven't. if you're not a member already, Head-Fi.org - Headphone forums and reviews for audiophiles is full of audiophiles, great pictures and info.
    2010-08-12 05:36 AM
    cory gillmore - you're not going to find a lot of audiophiles posting in this forum...at least i haven't. if you're not a member already, Head-Fi.org - Headphone forums and reviews for audiophiles is full of audiophiles, great pictures and info.
    Oh yeah I just recently discovered the greatness that is head-fi.org. But thanks anyway though. A lot of people probaly don't know this but the iPhone is pretty highly regarded as a high quality music player in the audiophile world. The standard iPods, not quite so much. But you can send your iPod in to Red Wine Audio and have it converted into something considered a high quality audio player, AKA an iMod.
    As a long time car audio buff, I'm pretty new to the portable audio scene myself and wouldn't quite consider myself a full blown audiophile just yet. I'm getting there though.
    2010-08-12 05:46 AM
    It's funny. The Dre Tours are what got me started in my search for portable audio bliss. I bought a set of them on amazon for $50. Only to find out they were counterfeit! Luckily I was able to return them for a refund. After that I started searching around and found that counterfeiting is a major issue with Monsters more popular headphones. That's why I sprung for the way more expensive but as of yet to be counterfeited Turbine Pro Golds. I should mention that I didn't actually pay $300 for them. I got them from onecall.com (a trusted and authorized Monster reseller) for far less than their MSRP. I got the amp used on head-fi.org for $115. I've since sold the amp on head-fi for exactly what I paid for it. I'm also in the process of selling my 32GB 3GS unlocked on eBay. I'll use that money to buy a stupidly expensive high end potable headphone amplifier. More specifically, a RSA Predator. Once again, used and far less than it's $475 MSRP. The thing about these RSA amps is that they have a lifetime warranty that transfers to an unlimited number of owners. So even 2nd and 3rd hand owners retain the lifetime warranty! I'll post pics and impressions once all is said and done.
    How did you find out that your beats were counterfeit? My is probably counterfeit also but it still sounds good... and has the problems just like the real ones so...
    2010-08-12 11:49 AM
    I have some klipsch s4i, great sound quality and a good mic.
    The only slight problem is with even the largest ear adapters they are still a bit small for my ear canal and slip out quite easy.
    2010-08-12 12:02 PM
    Taniban: Check YouTube for some comparison videos. The main thing to look for is actually the packaging it came in. They still sound ok and some people actually said the fake ones were STILL worth $50!
    skiptowncat: yeah those Klipsch are a very popular set among audiophiles. For their affordability and sound quality both.
    Do a search for Comply Foam Tips and order a set of those in large for your set of S4i's. You'll love them. They are incredibly comfortable and isolate outside noise amazingly.
    2010-08-12 04:34 PM
    Thanks for the tip, I had a set of sennheisers which for 20 were a bargain. Good punchy bass and a nice midrange, build quality not so good though. The cable started coming away at the jack after about 6 months.
    2010-08-12 04:46 PM
    No problem man. If you're having fit issues out of those S4's, you'll be amazed at how those Complys bring them to life. Having a good seal is if the most important thing when dealing with IEMs (in ear monitors).
    2010-08-12 04:54 PM
    i love argument threads....
    2010-08-12 05:57 PM
    Any idea which ones, I'm trying to do everything from my phone and it's a bit fiddly!!
    2010-08-12 06:18 PM
    The TX-400s I think. I think you can pick your headphones on the site and it will take you to the page that fits your buds. Get the large ones. They're $20 shipped.
    2010-08-12 07:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD